Holiday ? then a sealed move !

Holiday ? then a sealed move !

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
06 Aug 06

Originally posted by Aiko
Taken ones, or kept ones? I have kept closely to 60 now.
Stomped ones, of course.

Who would want to keep a couple of pages of dead games hanging around?

s

Moves
07 Aug 06

Originally posted by bosintang
The vacation system, as it is now, based on honour, is not very good. I think if there was one change that could drastically improve RHP, it's this. (And I know this has been brought up a thousand and one times already, but I'll throw my voice in anyways.)

People have mentioned before mentioned the idea of having an allocated amount of vacation days a ...[text shortened]... 3/7, 3/14, 7/14, etc. games, whereas they may be counterproductive in sprints or long-hauls.
I fully agree. Indeed a vacation system based on honour is not good at all. I am in my first year on RHP and have now experienced this myself. Having returned from summer holidays recently I noticed time-outs were taken (whether by my opponent or by automated tourney timeout), whereas I could have normally progressed to the next round under 'normal circumstances' had I had the opportunity to play.

In line with what bosintang is proposing, I would advocate to allocate 30 vacation days per annum to a user, that he/she can use at their own discretion. As soon as a vacation flag is set, a player's games will be frozen and time will be eaten from that general timebank. Thirty days a year, I would say, is a fair amount of time to use for absence, whatever the specific nature of that absence. I realise that some will say this is not sufficient to allow for any personal circumstances that last much longer, but then I feel one does have to draw a line somewhere.

A while ago I looked at how Gameknot is dealing with this aspect. I recall GK indeed has a similar system and that games can hence be frozen at GK. I like that feature very much, and moreover I find it a way of dealing with absence that is more honest to those involved. Also, it will not be necessary anymore to set specific timebanks per individual game or tournament. RHP can then easily introduce the option to choose from 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 14 day etc move structures for single games and tournament games.

I think it will not just be an improvement. I also think introducing such a system will reduce the amount and length of heated debates in the forums.