1. Lancaster
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 13:21
    Wouldn't be fair to all if there was some way, now that I'm going on me holidays, that a sealed move could be made, not shown to the opponent, but not allowing myself all my hols to analyse my next move !
    And don't I need to !!

M in M
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 14:00
    Originally posted by Tinmart69
    Wouldn't be fair to all if there was some way, now that I'm going on me holidays, that a sealed move could be made, not shown to the opponent, but not allowing myself all my hols to analyse my next move !
    And don't I need to !!

M in M
    I have hade this kind of question in the air before...
    ...with the thought that from the time you go to vacation your account freezes so you can't take part of the moves from your opponent during this time. When you break your vacation then you can see all the moves in all your games.

This system of vacancy is just based on trust. Some can be trusted, some can't be trusted...
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 20:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Some can be trusted, some can't be trusted...
    Where doe strust ever come into play?

You agree on a TO and TB period. If you can't honor that agreement - you get timed out.
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 21:05

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 05:13
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I don't understand 😕

+ What's wrong with the good old skull system? 😀
    I agree.

Have a nice collection of skulls.

94 of them. And if I hadn't taken the skulls, I bet at least half of them would still be there for me to take...

Anyone got more than me?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Where doe strust ever come into play?
    When I am on a vacation of , say, 14 days. I set my vacancy flag and I tell when I come back. Then I have to have trust on my opponents not to time me out, only because they can.

In the good old postal correspondence chess the moves during a vacation is allways sealed, just for protecting the games not to be 'skulled out'.
  7. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 14:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When I am on a vacation of , say, 14 days. I set my vacancy flag and I tell when I come back. Then I have to have trust on my opponents not to time me out, only because they can.

In the good old postal correspondence chess the moves during a vacation is allways sealed, just for protecting the games not to be 'skulled out'.
    How is a move 'sealed' during holidays in correspondence chess?
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '06 15:26
    Originally posted by Redmike
    How is a move 'sealed' during holidays in correspondence chess?
    By sending it to the tournament leader instead of the player himself.
  9. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 14:06
    The vacation system, as it is now, based on honour, is not very good. I think if there was one change that could drastically improve RHP, it's this. (And I know this has been brought up a thousand and one times already, but I'll throw my voice in anyways.)

People have mentioned before mentioned the idea of having an allocated amount of vacation days a year (say 3 weeks), to be used at your own discretion. Make it so that you will be able to view your games but will be locked out of making moves during your vacation time, and any moves your opponents make against you will be "sealed" until your vacation is over. Since users get vacation, there should be no excuses for timeouts, and rated games should be timed out automatically. I think this is the easiest system to implement.

If you wanted to develop the system further, you can make it an option when starting a game (or tournament) whether vacation days will be respected. For example, having a proper vacation setting might be most effective in 3/7, 3/14, 7/14, etc. games, whereas they may be counterproductive in sprints or long-hauls.
  10. Berks.
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 22:23
    Surely there is a mechanism in place to allow for holiday time; that of course being the timebank. If you plan to take a break then the shorter timebanks should be avoided. And as you say could easily be counterproductive with shorter timecontrols and largely irrelevant to the larger ones.

The point of short timeouts is to have a relatively quick game, a long timebank can be agreed with an opponent prior to a game if needed. It could hit some non-subs in particular quite hard (I certainly wouldn't have been impressed with the site had I been forced to give up a couple of games during that period).
  11. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 22:41
    Originally posted by c99ux
    I agree.

Have a nice collection of skulls.

94 of them. And if I hadn't taken the skulls, I bet at least half of them would still be there for me to take...

Anyone got more than me?
    Taken ones, or kept ones? I have kept closely to 60 now.
  12. Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 00:31
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Surely there is a mechanism in place to allow for holiday time; that of course being the timebank. If you plan to take a break then the shorter timebanks should be avoided. And as you say could easily be counterproductive with shorter timecontrols and largely irrelevant to the larger ones.

The point of short timeouts is to have a relatively quick game, a ...[text shortened]... een impressed with the site had I been forced to give up a couple of games during that period).
    Some games can last weeks, even months. How can you predict a game starting in Janaury, whether it will still be live or concluded by March?
    I recently travelled Thailand for just under four weeks. I had no idea what connectivity would be like or even if it would be available.
    I set the time out flag and included a note on my return date, mentionting connectivity.
    Got back and was timed-out on several games.
    I call them cheap victories and it sullies my experience of this site.
    I like the exploration of the idea of a 'x' vacation days per year.
    My life doesn't revolve around this site and a break from it would be good.
  13. Berks.
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 09:57
    Originally posted by wsjwilliams
    Some games can last weeks, even months. How can you predict a game starting in Janaury, whether it will still be live or concluded by March?
    I recently travelled Thailand for just under four weeks. I had no idea what connectivity would be like or even if it would be available.
    I set the time out flag and included a note on my return date, mentionting c ...[text shortened]... n days per year.
    My life doesn't revolve around this site and a break from it would be good.
    Well you can have an idea of whether the game will last that long. A 1/0 or 1/7 will probably be finished, a 14/14 in all likelihood won't be, a 3/7 to 7/14 could go either way.

I can only see a couple of timeouts around that time in your profile, one of which was from a non-sub, for which you're effectively asking him to lose one of his six alloted games for the month.
  14. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 12:36
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Well you can have an idea of whether the game will last that long. A 1/0 or 1/7 will probably be finished, a 14/14 in all likelihood won't be, a 3/7 to 7/14 could go either way.

I can only see a couple of timeouts around that time in your profile, one of which was from a non-sub, for which you're effectively asking him to lose one of his six alloted games for the month.
    Peakite: It's extremely hard to time manage your games months in advance. Even if you can perfectly control your own timebank, you cannot control how your opponent uses theirs.

And things happen unexpectedly; people with jobs, families, and responsibilities cannot plan their lives around RHP. The whole reason I play correspondence chess rather than blitz is so that I can have that flexiblity.

However ideally, I would make respecting the vacation-bank an option when starting a game, so that people who insist on faster-moving games do not have to respect vacation.
  15. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 13:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree