Ideas about forum posting

Ideas about forum posting

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Swansea

Moves
15 Dec 06

I am putting this here for Irax and also for me as I agree with him! He thinks that people should have a period that they have to play chess before they can post in the forums, and I agree! Irax said that they should play their 5games first and then be allowed to post, but maybe that should be 20games?

Opinions?

Moves
15 Dec 06

Originally posted by ExpressiveOutburst
I am putting this here for Irax and also for me as I agree with him! He thinks that people should have a period that they have to play chess before they can post in the forums, and I agree! Irax said that they should play their 5games first and then be allowed to post, but maybe that should be 20games?

Opinions?
Yeah, 20 games would be really affective.

You'd know pretty quickly how serious someone was in the site if you looked at their 20 games and found that they were all e4, resign! They could be dealt a 3(c) quickly then! And probably a 3(a) as well!

P.S. Recced, although in a way, I'm reccing my own post πŸ˜•

Read a book!

Moves
15 Dec 06

Opinions?
What was the question?

E

Swansea

Moves
15 Dec 06

Originally posted by HandyAndy
What was the question?
Opinions on whether new accounts should have a wait until they can start posting or not.

E

Swansea

Moves
15 Dec 06

Originally posted by irax
Yeah, 20 games would be really affective.

You'd know pretty quickly how serious someone was in the site if you looked at their 20 games and found that they were all e4, resign! They could be dealt a 3(c) quickly then! And probably a 3(a) as well!

P.S. Recced, although in a way, I'm reccing my own post πŸ˜•
I've recced you back as it was your initial idea πŸ™‚

SS

Moves
15 Dec 06

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by HandyAndy
What was the question?
He didn't ask for an answer to a question.

My opinion is that this is a stellar idea.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
15 Dec 06

Yes, it's a good idea....at least make users make a move before they can post, to have a player with 30 posts and no moves is rediculous.

TokerSmurf

Bonnie Scotland

Moves
15 Dec 06
1 edit

Opinions?
surely this would need to be limited to certain forums. what happens if a noob has a question he would like to post in the HELP forum? or a new idea for the SITE IDEAS forum?

a fresh pair of eyes can often see things differently to those who have been looking at those same things for a while, so a noob's input can be just as valuable as non-provisional.

if they can still post in some forums, then the change would not be very effective because trolls will continue to post in whatever forums they do have access to.

[Edit]I do agree that some sort of commitment to the site should be shown before posting should be allowed, perhaps a number of moves (as huckle has mentioned) but certainly not 20 games; even 5 seems a little much[/Edit]

E

Swansea

Moves
15 Dec 06

Originally posted by MCA
surely this would need to be limited to certain forums. what happens if a noob has a question he would like to post in the HELP forum? or a new idea for the SITE IDEAS forum?

a fresh pair of eyes can often see things differently to those who have been looking at those same things for a while, so a noob's input can be just as valuable as non-provisional.

if ...[text shortened]... f moves (as huckle has mentioned) but certainly not 20 games; even 5 seems a little much[/Edit]
Well this is why we can discuss the best way to sort out the problems and then come to an agreement so that Russ and Chrismo can see the final thoughts of the majority and then hopefully act on it. πŸ™‚

I think that they could post in help forum and maybe site ideas but that would be it until they have played a few games.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
16 Dec 06

Opinions?
I reckon it's a rubbish idea.

You'd be punishing and limiting ALL the new starters just to spite a few trolls and spammers and even if it was to be implemented it would only delay the usual suspects for a few days. IMO the community is backbone of this site and setting up an 'initiation' like this would only stifle it.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
16 Dec 06

Opinions?
What's to stop these trolls from playing themselves those moves? As much as this seems a good idea, it is not.

An honest player will take some time to make the moves, where a troll will just play themself and be right back on the forums. Chess moves shouldn't have anything to do with it.

P-

Read a book!

Moves
16 Dec 06

Opinions?
Don't assume that trolls are only users with fewer than five games, or even 20 games. We seem to have some dedicated disrupters and snipers with longer records. Would you consider restricting the regular forums to subscribers, or giving non-subscribers their own forum? On the other hand, I wouldn't want to deprive a sincere newcomer of access to valuable help and ideas from the experienced players.

Moves
16 Dec 06

That's a good point about genuine new players needing to ask questions. Making things more complicated, perhaps all new users could get 10 free posts to start? Which would of course allow resubscibing trolls 10 free hits. Just a thought.

Also, it's true that many established users are trolls, but there is already a system in place to deal with them, it's the TOS 3(c) rule. What we're talking about here is when these guys open a new account and immediately start their antics again, often without even making a single move.

DS

Moves
16 Dec 06

This was discussed months ago - I suggested that the number of moves required before posting could be set at something like 200 with the exception of the help forum.
Nobody was in favour of it in that thread apart from myself. [I can't find the actual thread right now]

I've gone off the idea a bit as they are sometimes the only entertainment available in the new order forums.