Any age limit restrictions?
    No restrictions gb.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 17:05
    Originally posted by Nowakowski

The freedom to swing our arms randomly - and powerfully is our right, untill our fists
    reach the other mans nose.

This idea is a punch square in the nose.
    Works for me.

Reveal Hidden Content
    P.S. What is happening to your chess rating?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 17:06
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    :'( :'(

Its crying time again~!
    Where you been hiding, Rusty?
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 17:172 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Where you been hiding, Rusty?
    I didn't realize I was hiding anywhere. 😉

I made all my chess moves on time, and mostly at least once a day.

I was just not participating in the forums. I am sure Phlabby and others will be thrilled to see me back!!

But we must stay on topic here.

I think Phlabs is a bit of a cry baby. He did ask for opinions didn't he? 😉
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 17:18
    I didn't realize I was hiding anywhere. 😉

I made all my chess moves on time, and mostly at least once a day.

I was just not participating in the forums. I am sure Phlabby and others will be thrilled to see me back!!
    lol... glad you're back contributing.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 17:33
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I think the next step for the Ignore List here at RHP is the exclusion from ignored users responding to your posts directly, and even better would be if you are the OP of a thread they are not able to respond to the thread. I know it's a public forum, but when you are hounded by a user you'd rather not socialize with it can be very annoying... especially ...[text shortened]... ir very existence.

I'd like opinions before I use feedback on this situation.

P-
    If ever "hounded" oh the horror "by a user", this bowl o'meal Fraser would happily raise his kilt high laughing at him😵
  7. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 18:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Is there an alternative solution?"

Of course there is, Phlab. Let's just all relinquish our citizenships; kiss our basic rights and freedom of speech, minority points of view, expression of differences and healthy dissent so long; accept the suffocation of herd sameness; suck up Orwell's 1984 until we collectively gag; relocate to a nice ...[text shortened]... r shabby tents. ~gb

...............................................................[/b]
    Even the poor folks in 1984 were allowed their 2 minutes of hate, albeit political in motivation.

I wish I could remember the person it was that said it but in San Francisco there stands a stature of this person and on the base the statement; " I may not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to the death to say it."

As for the age limit, I think that is a hard one to answer. As many of us have witnessed; there are famalies where an 8 yr old is the most mature and adult like member. These children who, by circumstance or a recesive gene are not the norm, do display a better sense of 'what to say and when, than a good portion of adults we deal with in life.

I strongly support freedom of speech but with freedom comes the added task of choosing what is best fitting and civil for the moment. Friendly verbal sparring is fun but people need to be selective in what is said to who so as to prevent some ruling authority from blindly and or randomly subjecting everybody to overbearing rules that stiffle free thought and speech.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 18:26
    The maker of a thread doesn't "own" the thread in the sense that he or she should be able
    to prevent another user from taking part. Stalking or harassment, on the other hand, violate
    RHP rules and the administrators should take swift and appropriate action when it's called for.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 18:55
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I think the next step for the Ignore List here at RHP is the exclusion from ignored users responding to your posts directly, and even better would be if you are the OP of a thread they are not able to respond to the thread. I know it's a public forum, but when you are hounded by a user you'd rather not socialize with it can be very annoying... especially ...[text shortened]... ir very existence.

I'd like opinions before I use feedback on this situation.

P-
    I don't see how this will solve much. For one, I could start a thread on rating floors, and put gezza on ignore so he can't make his usual response about how he hates them. However, he COULD still circumvent the restriction by opening up a new thread just to respond. This would just make things more confusing for the rest of the audience.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 22:481 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    The maker of a thread doesn't "own" the thread in the sense that he or she should be able
    to prevent another user from taking part. Stalking or harassment, on the other hand, violate
    RHP rules and the administrators should take swift and appropriate action when it's called for.
    In this case who is stalking & harassing one might ask.

That would be my first question. VR and the way I see it. 😉
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 22:51
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I don't see how this will solve much. For one, I could start a thread on rating floors, and put gezza on ignore so he can't make his usual response about how he hates them. However, he COULD still circumvent the restriction by opening up a new thread just to respond. This would just make things more confusing for the rest of the audience.
    It would probably be best if everyone all thought alike.

Perhaps everyone could become a member of the "Phlabby Friends Group", and agree with everything said by the 'Friends Group', and Phlabs.

Oh wait....We are not all that far away from that are we?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 22:52
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    I wish I could remember the person it was that said it but in San Francisco there stands a stature of this person and on the base the statement; " I may not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to the death to say it."
    'twas Voltaire, mon frere.

😀
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 22:57
    My two cents here is that this is a bad idea.

Not evil, mind you, as some have suggested, but simply misguided. "Slippery slope" stuff.

Better to kiss up to the powers that be and just have the people you wish to ignore banned. See what I mean by "slippery slope"? Where does it end?
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 23:00
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    My two cents here is that this is a bad idea.

Not evil, mind you, as some have suggested, but simply misguided. "Slippery slope" stuff.

Better to kiss up to the powers that be and just have the people you wish to ignore banned. See what I mean by "slippery slope"? Where does it end?
    Almost as slippery a slope as your rating graph. 😛

Some things just never change. 😉
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 23:27
    Almost as slippery a slope as your rating graph. 😛

Some things just never change. 😉
    You make me think that maybe Phlab has a point.

😠

"Never try to teach a pig to sing... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- Anonymous

Words to live by.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree