1. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    17 May '15 22:29
    I appreciate the difficulties but there should be a penalty for someone with over a thousand time-out loses.
    I suspect that they could just re-join under a new name
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 May '15 12:41
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    I appreciate the difficulties but there should be a penalty for someone with over a thousand time-out loses.
    I suspect that they could just re-join under a new name
    yes and yes.

I would at least ban people with several incidents of massie timeouts from tournaments.
  3. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    18 May '15 15:00
    It's just the way the game is played by idiots. Take the win and move on!!!
  4. Here
    Moves
    18 May '15 16:09
    Originally posted by pikejohn
    It's just the way the game is played by idiots. Take the win and move on!!!
    This is an on going complaint ,to do with manipulating ratings
    It is time this was sorted out
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 May '15 07:38
    I don't think you can stop people manipulating ratings here, there are just too many ways to do it. For example, there's one individual who resigns all games except clan games, in order to keep getting easy games in the clans system. The ongoing request for a tighter rating floor seems not to be a high priority for the site owners.
  6. Here
    Moves
    22 May '15 14:56
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I don't think you can stop people manipulating ratings here, there are just too many ways to do it. For example, there's one individual who resigns all games except clan games, in order to keep getting easy games in the clans system. The ongoing request for a tighter rating floor seems not to be a high priority for the site owners.
    I think I know who you mean
    How about no reductions for time outs and resignations that would put a spoke in the wheels
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by padger
    I think I know who you mean
    How about no reductions for time outs and resignations that would put a spoke in the wheels
    That's a non-starter. Timing out or resigning are often done because of lost positions. If I outplay someone so badly that they don't want to play the game anymore, I want the rating points that I'm due. I also want to see their rating go down. (Which is fair, because I have to take that hit every time I lose).

On the other hand, if their rating is already at a floor, then I don't care so much about it going down further. I can usually see that the rating is already significantly lower than the playing strength.
  8. Here
    Moves
    23 May '15 05:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That's a non-starter. Timing out or resigning are often done because of lost positions. If I outplay someone so badly that they don't want to play the game anymore, I want the rating points that I'm due. I also want to see their rating go down. (Which is fair, because I have to take that hit every time I lose).

On the other hand, if their rating is ...[text shortened]... her. I can usually see that the rating is already significantly lower than the playing strength.
    You still go up they do not go down
    Isn't it enough that you won ,do you also want to rub their noses in it by making them take a ratings drop
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 May '15 14:52
    You still go up they do not go down
    Isn't it enough that you won ,do you also want to rub their noses in it by making them take a ratings drop
    No, it isn't enough that I won.

Yes, I want to rub their noses in it. 😀
  10. Here
    Moves
    23 May '15 16:08
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    No, it isn't enough that I won.

Yes, I want to rub their noses in it. 😀
    With that attitude I can understand why people dump a load of games and then enter competitions that 200 and 300 below their proper ratings
    I am surprised that you do not join them
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 May '15 18:09
    With that attitude I can understand why people dump a load of games and then enter competitions that 200 and 300 below their proper ratings
    I am surprised that you do not join them
    No, you're not surprised. Your post is manufactured "outrage".

I have no interest in beating a bunch of people below my own strength. Taking rating points only means something when it's from a player around my own size or bigger. In that case, damn straight I like rubbing their nose in it (and vice-versa...don't know how much clearer I can make it...)

That's really what this is about for you, isn't it? You are so concerned about getting whipped by underrated players that you will ruin ratings for everyone else if only to avoid it. Well, guess what? You can't avoid it. As has already been suggested in this thread, a strong player can create infinite new accounts and evade all of the attempts to force him to play up.
  12. Here
    Moves
    23 May '15 19:52
    Struck a cord
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 May '15 20:27
    Struck a cord
    About as much of a chord as you strike with Russ on Site Ideas. 😛
  14. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    30 May '15 23:26
    how about eliminating ratings or putting limits on those who time-out
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 May '15 23:37
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    how about eliminating ratings or putting limits on those who time-out
    How about ignore the ratings if you don't like them?! 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree