Losses via timeouts

Losses via timeouts

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
07 Jun 15

Originally posted by coquette
sometimes a player has a serious illness or accident; sometimes a player may be called off to a military posting or a civilian posting in a foreign location where internet access is unavailable for a time. in those instances, it's possible for an otherwise steady player to go through a major time out period. this happened to marko krale - second in all time ...[text shortened]... uld anyone challenge his record of steady play? let's just drop this one in the bin and move on.
If a person is going to be absent for a period of time due to circumstance, (s)he can resign their games with an explanation. Its more thoughtful and more honorable then letting the clock run out.
My point is that a timeout loss just to avoid resigning is petty and Chess ought not be petty.

Moves
16 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by stevemcc
If a person is going to be absent for a period of time due to circumstance, (s)he can resign their games with an explanation.
From a hospital bed, unconscious?

Moves
16 Jun 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
From a hospital bed, unconscious?
Nor the morgue

Hyperbole Happy

Moves
27 Jun 15

Instead of playing with ratings, I think it is tournaments that could to be changed. Why not make Consistent Ratings Tournaments, tournaments that can only be entered by players with ratings near or above their rating mean and Inconsistent Ratings Tournaments for all others? I think with these, there would be a very strong drive to consistent ratings as well as a reduction in nefarious inconsistent ratings.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
27 Jun 15

Originally posted by JerryH
Instead of playing with ratings, I think it is tournaments that could to be changed. Why not make Consistent Ratings Tournaments, tournaments that can only be entered by players with ratings near or above their rating mean and Inconsistent Ratings Tournaments for all others? I think with these, there would be a very strong drive to consistent ratings as well as a reduction in nefarious inconsistent ratings.
That punishes people who take on a lot of games, as their rating will fluctuate more than most.

Hyperbole Happy

Moves
28 Jun 15

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
That punishes people who take on a lot of games, as their rating will fluctuate more than most.
Why punishes? They still have a valid mean rating and a reasonable and fair definition of "near mean", should be possible.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
28 Jun 15

Originally posted by JerryH
Why punishes? They still have a valid mean rating and a reasonable and fair definition of "near mean", should be possible.
Because they can't enter a tourney if they're not near enough to their mean rating.

Hyperbole Happy

Moves
28 Jun 15

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Because they can't enter a tourney if they're not near enough to their mean rating.
They can't enter a Consistent Ratings Tournament while their rating is too far below mean but can enter other tournaments. If they remain too far below mean, then mean will move. Otherwise they will be near and above mean most of the time no? The definition of near needs to be pinned down to continue I think. Perhaps one standard deviation? Maybe, or not, an overriding definition of consistent is needed as well or everyone will be inconsistent at their low points?