1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 16:11
    When a new member joins RHP, they get a referral to a "Mentor."

Mentors would be volunteers that would be available to ask questions (pretty much the same as we see from a lot of new members - the vacation system, timer isn't counting down, why did my rating go down instead of up, etc), and also, can discuss the clans and clubs and seiges, and also offer a friendly contact when they happen to go to a public forum and make a simple comment and get a really crude and rude hostile response. The Mentor could let them know that everyone has been attacked by that member at one point or another and no one really takes those particular comments seriously. That sort of thing. Contacting the volunteer Mentor would be totally up to the new member. The admins could see how the mentors are doing by asking the new members, maybe after 3 or 6 months, if they ever contacted the Mentor and was it useful. A "Mentors" list could also be made available, just like a Mods list. That way, if a Mentor isn't responding, the new member could go to another one on the list.
  2. 100$ de l'heure.
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 16:44
    Really nice idea. 🙂
  3. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 02:19
    I myself.. being the outstanding, moral, and dedicated subscriber for the betterment of RHP... would be more than happy to get my hands on some fresh meat.. I mean ..help somebody out.🙂
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 00:15
    Good idea.

rec'd
  5. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 06:011 edit
    Originally posted by coquette

Mentors would be volunteers that would be available to ask questions (pretty much the same as we see from a lot of new members - the vacation system, timer isn't counting down, why did my rating go down instead of up, etc), and also, can discuss the clans and clubs and seiges, and also offer hat way, if a Mentor isn't responding, the new member could go to another one on the list.
    Sounds like a good idea. I'd be happy to volunteer for that sort of thing.

Rec'd.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 22:08
    Good Plan !
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 00:48
    Do you go to AA or something? 😛

Get a sponsor today! 😀 ..😉
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 00:49
    Of course, it's rather easy to discern who should not be a Mentor
  9. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 01:01
    That's the craziest idea I have ever heard of. What help is a half man half bull going to be to a n00b? 😕
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 02:13
    Of course, it's rather easy to discern who should not be a Mentor
    Glad to be of service! 😉
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 19:57

Mentors would be volunteers that would be available to ask questions (pretty much the same as we see from a lot of new members - the vacation system, timer isn't counting down, why did my rating go down instead of up, etc), and also, can discuss the clans and clubs and seiges, and also offer ...[text shortened]... hat way, if a Mentor isn't responding, the new member could go to another one on the list.
    Is this a chess site or a 12-Step Progam?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 20:05
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    That's the craziest idea I have ever heard of. What help is a half man half bull going to be to a n00b? 😕
    Mentor != Minotaur
  13. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 01:43
    I would be willing to be a mentor as well.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 09:441 edit
    This idea has been suggested a number of times, and I believe I have in the past stated it will be added. So, for what it is worth, I will say, yes, this is a fine idea, and it is most definitely worth trialling.

-Russ
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 13:11
    make a simple comment and get a really crude and rude hostile response. The Mentor could let them know that everyone has been attacked by that member at one point or another and no one really takes those particular comments seriously.
    A step in the right direction would be for people to be polite and helpful to people who post questions in the Help forum, don't you think coquette?
    Thread 91692

D