1. Standard memberMangy Mooose
    a.k.a. Polar
    LasVegas via Alaska
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 12:44
    This setting would allow you to specify if-then moves when playing correspondence games. If-then moves are conditional moves that will automatically be played on your behalf if the opponent makes a specified move. These can be useful for speeding up play when the opponent's move can be easily anticipated.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 13:22
    Originally posted by Mangy Mooose
    This setting would allow you to specify if-then moves when playing correspondence games. If-then moves are conditional moves that will automatically be played on your behalf if the opponent makes a specified move. These can be useful for speeding up play when the opponent's move can be easily anticipated.
    It'd be good.

Especially for people who are heading on holidays.

D
  3. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 13:36
    certainly gets my vote of recommendation.
  4. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 13:38
    Yes, sounds good to me

Andrew
  5. London
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 14:41
    i like the idea of that. gets a rec. please consider and tell us your opinion russ? would this be possible?

fred
  6. Boulder, CO
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 15:551 edit
    Originally posted by Mangy Mooose
    This setting would allow you to specify if-then moves when playing correspondence games. If-then moves are conditional moves that will automatically be played on your behalf if the opponent makes a specified move. These can be useful f ...[text shortened]... eding up play when the opponent's move can be easily anticipated.
    I'm in 100% agreement with the Mooose here. An if-then feature would be perfect.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 16:28
    Nice idea, one of the more innovative I've seen here in a while 🙂
  8. Standard memberMangy Mooose
    a.k.a. Polar
    LasVegas via Alaska
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 16:43
    I wish I could take credit for it but ... it was a feature at the last site I played corres chess at and I liked using it
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 16:55
    I oppose. Take the time to come on the site and make the move yourself, lazy bum 🙂

What's next? Allowing a simple program wich responds to every move our opponent can make? I'd be like setting a computer up to play for you. A chess-computer completely programmed to play exactly as you would.
  10. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 17:10
    Russ has already responded to this issue in the Help forum.
  11. Standard memberohfreak
    El Freak0
    NW GD Ohio
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 21:24
    I've seen it in use on other corr. sites also, but never used it myself... the concern I've always had is that this could possibly actually help your opponent. The conditional move may very well be the best move, but it may also be one that never occurred to him/her. Ack!
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 21:58
    Originally posted by ohfreak
    I've seen it in use on other corr. sites also, but never used it myself... the concern I've always had is that this could possibly actually help your opponent. The conditional move may very well be the best move, but it may also be one that never occurred to him/her. Ack!
    Yeah, but surely the move is only shown to the opponent AFTER he's made the move. IE: He wouldn't even know that an if/then was after making the move. It would just look like the if/then opponent has made a normal move.

I've read about if/thens in the original correspondence, and that definitely doesn't make sense.

D
  13. Standard memberohfreak
    El Freak0
    NW GD Ohio
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 22:24
    Ahhhhh... Super Secret Conditional Movez.

Muy cleveroso.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 Dec '04 01:011 edit
    This is the other thread where this is discussed...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=17723

D
  15. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    22 Dec '04 04:31
    Thanks Ragnorak, I went and read the other one as well.

I think it's a very clever idea, and I don't see how anyone could object. It's really no different to me using the Notes field to write down what I expect my next move to be, based on what I think my opponent will do.

If my opponent does what I expect, then I won't have to change my mind. If he/she does something different, then nothing will happen and I will have to re-evaluate.