New Feature suggestion:  If-Then Moves

New Feature suggestion: If-Then Moves

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MM
a.k.a. Polar

LasVegas via Alaska

Moves
21 Dec 04

This setting would allow you to specify if-then moves when playing correspondence games. If-then moves are conditional moves that will automatically be played on your behalf if the opponent makes a specified move. These can be useful for speeding up play when the opponent's move can be easily anticipated.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Dec 04

Originally posted by Mangy Mooose
This setting would allow you to specify if-then moves when playing correspondence games. If-then moves are conditional moves that will automatically be played on your behalf if the opponent makes a specified move. These can be useful for speeding up play when the opponent's move can be easily anticipated.
It'd be good.

Especially for people who are heading on holidays.

D

p
GTX

Aberdeen, Scotland

Moves
21 Dec 04

certainly gets my vote of recommendation.

Moves
21 Dec 04

Yes, sounds good to me

Andrew

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
21 Dec 04

i like the idea of that. gets a rec. please consider and tell us your opinion russ? would this be possible?

fred

f

Boulder, CO

Moves
21 Dec 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Mangy Mooose
This setting would allow you to specify if-then moves when playing correspondence games. If-then moves are conditional moves that will automatically be played on your behalf if the opponent makes a specified move. These can be useful f ...[text shortened]... eding up play when the opponent's move can be easily anticipated.
I'm in 100% agreement with the Mooose here. An if-then feature would be perfect.

S

Moves
21 Dec 04

Nice idea, one of the more innovative I've seen here in a while 🙂

MM
a.k.a. Polar

LasVegas via Alaska

Moves
21 Dec 04

I wish I could take credit for it but ... it was a feature at the last site I played corres chess at and I liked using it

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
21 Dec 04

I oppose. Take the time to come on the site and make the move yourself, lazy bum 🙂

What's next? Allowing a simple program wich responds to every move our opponent can make? I'd be like setting a computer up to play for you. A chess-computer completely programmed to play exactly as you would.

SN
Pimp of the elves

San Diego, CA

Moves
21 Dec 04

Russ has already responded to this issue in the Help forum.

o
El Freak0

NW GD Ohio

Moves
21 Dec 04

I've seen it in use on other corr. sites also, but never used it myself... the concern I've always had is that this could possibly actually help your opponent. The conditional move may very well be the best move, but it may also be one that never occurred to him/her. Ack!

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Dec 04

Originally posted by ohfreak
I've seen it in use on other corr. sites also, but never used it myself... the concern I've always had is that this could possibly actually help your opponent. The conditional move may very well be the best move, but it may also be one that never occurred to him/her. Ack!
Yeah, but surely the move is only shown to the opponent AFTER he's made the move. IE: He wouldn't even know that an if/then was after making the move. It would just look like the if/then opponent has made a normal move.

I've read about if/thens in the original correspondence, and that definitely doesn't make sense.

D

o
El Freak0

NW GD Ohio

Moves
21 Dec 04

Ahhhhh... Super Secret Conditional Movez.

Muy cleveroso.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Dec 04
1 edit

This is the other thread where this is discussed...
http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=17723

D

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
22 Dec 04

Thanks Ragnorak, I went and read the other one as well.

I think it's a very clever idea, and I don't see how anyone could object. It's really no different to me using the Notes field to write down what I expect my next move to be, based on what I think my opponent will do.

If my opponent does what I expect, then I won't have to change my mind. If he/she does something different, then nothing will happen and I will have to re-evaluate.