1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 11:414 edits
    I have two proposals for solving this perennial problem of religion being constantly put into the science forum where it doesn't belong and were it spoils it for us who have a genuine interest in science.

Firstly, put a ban on any reference to any creationist website or creationist videos. Any post with reference to a creationist website in a science forum should be autocratically removed and, if someone persists for too long trying to repeatedly make such reference to a creationists website or creationist video, they will be banned from the science forum. We scientists, and those with a genuine interest in science in the science forum, don't watch them anyway so they just make useless clutter in the threads.
    This would, of course, mean banning RJHinds from doing this like he frequently does.

Secondly, anyone that frequently and persistently posts with a religious agenda in this science forum and who never shows a genuine interest in science for its own sake should be banned from this science forum. After all, this is supposed to be a SCIENCE forum for people that have at least a genuine passing interest in science.
    This would, of course, mean banning RJHinds from this forum for he has NEVER shown a genuine interest in science. When has he ever asked a question about science without a religious agenda -answer, never! If he or anyone wants to speak against science for their religious agenda, they are perfectly free to do that in the Spirituality forum and I have no objection for that BUT, keep religion OUT of the science forum!

I would prefer if both of these above proposals would be implemented but, at the very least, I think just a ban on any reference to a creationist website or creationist video in the science forum would be better than nothing!

Who agrees with these proposals?
    Excluding those with a religious agenda, does anyone DISagree with these proposals and, if so, why so?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 17:43
    Somebody has suggested we should simply ignore RJHinds rather than banning him from the science forum.
    The problem with that is that we already tried that before......it didn't work.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 17:44
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    FAQ
    Don't see how that would help at all.
    According to that rule, all the posts that I would want to have removed would have to be all categorized as an 'offensive' post by the moderator before the moderator is allowed to consider removing all those post.
    The problem is, although I suppose I would say we would find the mere fact that RJHinds (and some others but mainly him) posts having religious propaganda in the science forum is sort of 'offensive' to us, I don't think any moderator would think this is what is meant by 'offensive' according to the rules and thus the moderator would not remove most of his posts this way.

What is needed is a new rule that tells the moderator that he should remove those posts from the science forum specifically because they are designed for promoting a religion and regardless of whether those posts are categorized as 'offensive'.

Also, that rule doesn't say anything about removing a whole thread. If the title and the premise and the OP of the thread is to promote religion or has obvious religious agenda and its title is, for example, “proof that the earth is young” (creationist propaganda that says the Earth is only a few thousand years old ) or “proof that evolution is just one big lie” (typical creationist rhetoric ) etc, then the rules should explicitly say that the moderator should remove the thread from the science forum -the moderator could always move it into the Spirituality forum where it belongs.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 22:34
    I suspect you will be waiting a long time to get new rules for the regular forum.

Another option would be to form your own club. That way you can have a private forum and whoever starts the club can moderate that forum in any manner they choose, and can also select who is allowed to be a member. Those members who are not "right-minded" could be kicked out of the club.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 23:06
    I keep hearing rumours that a sufficient number of alerts about a particular post will get it removed, whatever the subject matter. Can anyone tell me if there is such a rule, and what number of alerts would set it off?
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 05:16
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I keep hearing rumours that a sufficient number of alerts about a particular post will get it removed, whatever the subject matter. Can anyone tell me if there is such a rule, and what number of alerts would set it off?
    I don't think that a number shuld do that regardless of contents. If that would be true massive ganging (exp?) would occur.

On the principle suggestion:

It is not doable. Someone would have to read through all the posts and make a decision about "relogious content". The ignoring is probanly far superior.
  8. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 13:181 edit
    Is there a forum option to ignore (filter) posts by certain forums members? I would personally just use that and encourage everyone in the science forum to do the same.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 13:33
    There is the GBaway script for GreaseMonkey which was written by SwissGambit and can by found via this thread:

Thread 153642
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 13:371 edit
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    Is there a forum option to ignore (filter) posts by certain forums members? I would personally just use that and encourage everyone in the science forum to do the same.
    From the ignore list page:
    "People on your ignore list will not be able to send you messages, challenges, or accept your open invites.
    All special games types, such as clan and tournament games, are not protected by the ignore list."

There is no mention of the forums so I don't think it stops you from seeing or reading their posts in the forum.
    You will probably just need to manage it for yourself and not read the posts added by those you wish to ignore.

EDIT--- The greasemonkey script mentioned by Ponderable works to accomplish what the OP is looking for I think. I had never used it before but I just installed it and tested it here and in club forums, and it works fine.
  11. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 14:18
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    There is the GBaway script for GreaseMonkey which was written by SwissGambit and can by found via this thread:

Thread 153642
    It works really well.Any replies to the idiots posts are still there though.
    A combination of GBaway and everyone ignoring his posts would get rid of him completely from the science forum.It is also easy to remove GBaway if anyone wants to read his crazy idiotic posts in Spirituality!
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 14:47
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    It works really well.Any replies to the idiots posts are still there though.
    A combination of GBaway and everyone ignoring his posts would get rid of him completely from the science forum.It is also easy to remove GBaway if anyone wants to read his crazy idiotic posts in Spirituality!
    You would need to put the person you don't want to see posts from on the list, and then add those who reply to the person you don't like to the list. Eventually if you really stay on top of it, you would just see the posts from those you want to see and all others would be blocked out.
  13. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 19:20
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    You would need to put the person you don't want to see posts from on the list, and then add those who reply to the person you don't like to the list. Eventually if you really stay on top of it, you would just see the posts from those you want to see and all others would be blocked out.
    The problem with that idea that I want to read the posts from the others who post in science and most of them have replied to his posts.
    If posters installed Gbaway,and blocked him,they would not reply to his posts as they would not read them.And the problem is solved.
    The site admins should really find solutions for this kind of problem.
  14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 04:44
    We Firefox users are well protected with gbaway. Spare a thought for all those poor IE9 and Chrome people, who still have to suffer.
  15. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 05:51
    Originally posted by humy
    I have two proposals for solving this perennial problem of religion being constantly put into the science forum where it doesn't belong and were it spoils it for us who have a genuine interest in science.

Firstly, put a ban on any reference to any creationist website or creationist videos. Any post with reference to a creationist website in a science forum s ...[text shortened]... g those with a religious agenda, does anyone DISagree with these proposals and, if so, why so?
    Do you think science related posts should be banned from the spirituality forum?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree