1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Oct '13 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    Just thought of an alternative to making a ""Science versus Religion" public forum; IF no such forum or any other new forum will be made to solve the problem, then how about banning all science vs religion debate from both the Spirituality forum and the Science forum and make it the rule that all science vs religion debate should go into the [b]Debates foru ...[text shortened]... um so THIS is the proposal I now make.

Who agrees with me now?
    any counterarguments?[/b]
    Since when has any forum here had rules?

Threads get hijacked every day in every forum.

I see this as you wanting special treatment in your forum.

I'm not for having a "forum gestapo".
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 17:504 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne

These forums have always had rules. For example, you are not allowed to post certain offensive words or terms like “ass h***” or F***” etc

-which is a BAD thing. So making a rule to reduce that can be a GOOD thing.

Nope. I want the same as most scientists in the Science forum: no religious rhetoric hijacking it -stick to the topic of science and keep god or the gods out of it. I have absolutely no objection whatsoever with those in the Spirituality forum asking for science talk or atheistic talk to be kept out of the Spirituality forum if that is what they really want -so no “special treatment” asked for here, just respect for what we want in our favoured forums to be all about.

We already have rules to reduce harassment and offensive talk in all the forums. So haven’t we already got a "forum gestapo" then 😛
    Extending those existing rules to eliminate the main loopholes that allow trolling is NOT "forum gestapo". With my proposals, you are perfectly free to say whatever religious stuff you like in the Spirituality forum, just don't start bringing it to the Science forum because the Science forum is for talk about Science and we scientists just don’t want religious rhetoric put there because that spoils it for us who have a genuine interest in science NOT religion!
    If you like, I can agree to a ban on none religious atheists talking in favour of atheism in the Spirituality forum to stop them hijacking the Spirituality forum -no problem! -So no “special treatment” proposed here for 'our' forum in particular!

Why would you want to take religious talk to the science forum in particular anyway? -you have got your Spirituality forum for that so what's the problem you have with my proposal? It wouldn't even effect you since I don't see you post in the Science forum anyway.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 22:101 edit
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I suspect you will be waiting a long time to get new rules for the regular forum.

Another option would be to form your own club. That way you can have a private forum and whoever starts the club can moderate that forum in any manner they choose, and can also select who is allowed to be a member. Those members who are not "right-minded" could be kicked out of the club.
    As Groucho Marx (nearly) said, I would join any club that wouldn't have RJHinds as a member.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 02:00
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    As Groucho Marx (nearly) said, I would join any club that wouldn't have RJHinds as a member.
    You did. 🙂
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    You did. 🙂
    And a very nice club it is, too 🙂. But I would also join a science club if one was set up. It would be nice if it included technology, too. I'd like to talk about Apple Macs and swap software tips, links, talk about games and so on.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:406 edits
    I have noticed that absolutely nobody in this Site Ideas forum supports my proposal but virtually all the scientists in the science forum that have looked at my proposal, do -when it comes to deciding forum policy for the Science forum, which is SUPPOSED to be about SCIENCE and NOT GOD, that latter should count and the former shouldn't.
    Surely the Science forum should be for people that have some interest in SCIENCE and NOT for the trolls who have absolutely NO interest in science?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 22:29
    I have noticed that absolutely nobody in this Site Ideas forum supports my proposal but virtually all the scientists in the science forum that have looked at my proposal, do -when it comes to deciding forum policy for the Science forum, which is SUPPOSED to be about SCIENCE and NOT GOD, that latter should count and the former shouldn't.
    Surely the Science for ...[text shortened]... have some interest in SCIENCE and NOT for the trolls who have absolutely NO interest in science?
    So stop responding to them. Ever heard the saying, "Don't feed the troll"?
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 01:23
    Or you could try alerting every single post where something really unscientific, such as creationism, homeopathy or UFOs is posted. Do it persistently enough and the trolls may give up. Just don't forget that real science encourages the discussion of unscientific ideas so that they may be debunked.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 08:45
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    So stop responding to them. Ever heard the saying, "Don't feed the troll"?
    tried that. Didn't work. They are still there.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 23:00
    tried that. Didn't work. They are still there.
    Have you tried my script to block users? Then they can be here all they want and you won't notice them.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 02:44
    It's called GB away and you'll find it on bigdogghouse.com/RHP .
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 10:121 edit
    It's called GB away and you'll find it on bigdogghouse.com/RHP .
    Found it. I want to give it a go. But where do I click to install it?
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 11:22
    You need to be in either Firefox or chrome, I don't think it works in IE - but you'd need to check that with SwissGambit. You also need to have grease monkey or tampermonkey installed as a browser add-on.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 12:442 edits
    You need to be in either Firefox or chrome, I don't think it works in IE - but you'd need to check that with SwissGambit. You also need to have grease monkey or tampermonkey installed as a browser add-on.
    Anyone:

I am in Firefox and I have just now installed GreaseMonkey but nothing new seems to have happen and I still don't see how I can install GB when I go to http://bigdogghouse.com/RHP/
    Any ideas?
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 14:30
    Anyone:

I am in Firefox and I have just now installed GreaseMonkey but nothing new seems to have happen and I still don't see how I can install GB when I go to http://bigdogghouse.com/RHP/
    Any ideas?
    When you get to the bigdogghouse RHP page, there should be a list of all the scripts that are available.
    When you click the title of the one you want, a new window should open and at the bottom is a box that says "install".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree