1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 17:101 edit
    There are several non-sub users at RHP who have been here some time and are trustworthy enough to have an alert option.

The reason that non-subs DON'T have alerts is so that new user trolls don't flood the moderation system with fake alerts.

The admins here at RHP need to give the mods an option to grant alerts to non-subs, and the ability to take them away if for some reason the non-sub decides they will abuse the alert system.

Mmmmmmmmkay?

P-
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 17:35
    Why don't they just PM Uncle Phlabby, and he can look after it personally. 😉
  3. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 18:13
    It's preferential treatment, is what it is.

Elaborate on 'some time'. 6months ago, 1 yr ago? 2, 3, 4? In which case, shouldn't they have just subscribed like the rest of the subscribers on here, who have paid for that privilege.

If they can afford to pay for an internet connection on a monthly basis, or whatever, seems pretty ironic they can't pay up for yearly subscription to this site.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 20:261 edit
    Originally posted by Elamef37
    It's preferential treatment, is what it is.

Elaborate on 'some time'. 6months ago, 1 yr ago? 2, 3, 4? In which case, shouldn't they have just subscribed like the rest of the subscribers on here, who have paid for that privilege.

If they can afford to pay for an internet connection on a monthly basis, or whatever, seems pretty ironic they can't pay up for yearly subscription to this site.
    Are you fielding messages from users who get attacked in the forums but don't have the ability to alert?

I didn't think so.

I don't have a time frame for how long, but I could probably compile a nice long list of non-subs I feel could use the alert system without abusing it. You must have several non-sub friends you've seen on the site for a time... don't you think they might benefit from having the ability to use the alert system rather than using site feedback or messaging a mod who may not even be online?

I don't think users should need to pay to use the alert system here at RHP, since the forums are free for everyone.

The reason Non Subs don't have the alert system to start with is some might abuse the feature. There are non-subs around long enough that I feel they should have the ability to alert a post without sending a PM to a mod, or using feedback.

P-
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 20:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Are you fielding messages from users who get attacked in the forums but don't have the ability to alert?

I didn't think so.

I don't have a time frame for how long, but I could probably compile a nice long list of non-subs I feel could use the alert system without abusing it. You must have several non-sub friends you've seen on the site for a time... ...[text shortened]... have the ability to alert a post without sending a PM to a mod, or using feedback.

P-
    I believe GB has the alert, doesn't seem to help him much if he is using it.
    Of course that is only my humble opinion and the way I see it. Others of course may see it differently. Perhaps even GB, I do not know.

Here is an idea: Why not make more Mods if you are being overwhelmed by fielding messages from all the non-subs being attacked? Just a suggestion.

From what I have seen some of those non-subs are not above attacking themselves.

-VR and the way I see it.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 20:57
    i agree with phalb. why not let some of them use it, like he said the forums are free to use.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 21:33
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I believe GB has the alert, doesn't seem to help him much if he is using it.
    Of course that is only my humble opinion and the way I see it. Others of course may see it differently. Perhaps even GB, I do not know.

Here is an idea: Why not make more Mods if you are being overwhelmed by fielding messages from all the non-subs being attacked? Just a sugge ...[text shortened]... e seen some of those non-subs are not above attacking themselves.

-VR and the way I see it.
    We could have a zillion mods, everyone would still contact their favorite one....

ME!~

P-
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 22:21
    We could have a zillion mods, everyone would still contact their favorite one....

ME!~

P-
    Well I have to agree with you on that one....Only we don't know what would happen with additional mods, you might get some competition then...perhaps you don't want that. 😉

I heard through the grapevine if so many people Alert a post it is auto-modded. Is there any truth to this?
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 22:33
    I heard through the grapevine if so many people Alert a post it is auto-modded. Is there any truth to this?
    YES, 5 ALERTS.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 22:39
    Originally posted by trev33
    YES, 5 ALERTS.
    Interesting: That could be abused easily enough, or so it appears.

Hypothetical Situation: IF I had 4 friends on RHP we could eliminate what ever posts we wanted to just for the lulz. Of course I wouldn't involve myself in such petty behavior.
  11. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 22:41

Hypothetical Situation: IF I had 4 friends on RHP we could eliminate what ever posts we wanted to just for the lulz. Of course I wouldn't involve myself in such petty behavior.
    Thank god you don't have 4 friends.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 22:52

it's been done before... gets pretty old, pretty fast.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 22:561 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    it's been done before... gets pretty old, pretty fast.
    It is very petty to begin with. I am sure you were not involved with it. 😉

Just pointing out it could be abused.
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 23:11
    There are several non-sub users at RHP who have been here some time and are trustworthy enough to have an alert option.

The reason that non-subs DON'T have alerts is so that new user trolls don't flood the moderation system with fake alerts.

The admins here at RHP need to give the mods an option to grant alerts to non-subs, and the ability to take th ...[text shortened]... if for some reason the non-sub decides they will abuse the alert system.

Mmmmmmmmkay?

P-
    Alerted
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 23:11
    Oh I mean non-sub rec'd. I'm new to this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree