It's HEARSAY. Or HERESY.

Pick one and stick with it.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:21
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Agreed! 100%.........if you can handle a mod work load increase of 50%, for alerts...
    More often than not Mods want alerts, rather than 2 users exchanging insults and accusations that break the tos.

There isn't that much of a burden of alerts as it is. What would be helpful is those who can't alert being able to use the alert system rather than hanging up admins who don't follow the threads and sending PM messages to a mod who may not be online.

I don't see an explosive load of alerts being a problem, and I don't expect an explosive load. I just feel that some users here at RHP would benefit from having the ability to alert.

P-
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:22
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    More often than not Mods want alerts, rather than 2 users exchanging insults and accusations that break the tos.

There isn't that much of a burden of alerts as it is. What would be helpful is those who can't alert being able to use the alert system rather than hanging up admins who don't follow the threads and sending PM messages to a mod who may not b ...[text shortened]... just feel that some users here at RHP would benefit from having the ability to alert.

P-
    I got yr explosive load right here.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:25
    I understand you probably brain farted Rec for Alert.

Now I ask you. Is feedback the best way to deal with forum issues? I know it's not.

Would you prefer a user who can't alert an insult get into a trade of insults?

Wouldn't you want all alerts to be handled the same way by all, rather than Non-subs needing to PM a mod (using up 1 of their 10 p ...[text shortened]... dividual mods, and the non-subs that don't even know who's moderating these forums.

P-
    Feedback sometimes is a very good way to deal with forum issues, depending on the issue.

People who have the use of the alerts trade insults daily, so I really do not see any benefit to be honest.

IF non-subs are needing to PM a mod and use up one of their 10 PM's per day, they should be thankful they have them. On other chess sites they can't even post in a forum unless they are subscribers.

From what I understand if 5 alerts are given the post will disappear anyways. These non-subs are all long time members as you were saying. They don't all have to PM you and burden you, there are 7 other mods, plus Russ & Chris as last resort. They can also e-mail they don't have to use their precious PM's to friends on RHP, and ask them to look at the post they think should be ALERTED.

I for one would be happy to do so, if I thought it was a post worth removing and not just an alert for alert sake. Sometimes you and I don't agree that a certain post should be removed, but another mod may think differently on it.

Look at the back and forth that goes on in ALL GB THREADS! I Alert things in there that either are not removed, or take a day or two to remove. Never happens when one of my posts are removed, last one within a 2 minute period for example, then I am notified soon after as to why. Doesn't appear mods are over burdened to me.

Like I said the more that is given to non-subs, the less likely they will be to re-subscribe in the majority of cases. Some are just here for the forums if you look closely at the games they have played over the years, when they were subscribers. ( No, I am not comparing them to me as I am a chess pig) 😉 As I have said, it takes no money out of my pocket. Just doesn't make good business sense to me.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:27

There isn't that much of a burden of alerts as it is. What would be helpful is those who can't alert being able to use the alert system rather than hanging up admins who don't follow the threads and sending PM messages to a mod who may not b ...[text shortened]... just feel that some users here at RHP would benefit from having the ability to alert.

P-
    I'd like to make it clear that Darvs and me are not at loggerheads here. What I observed was a misuse of tems of service. That's not a dig at you Darvs..... jeez we've been here long enough. But answer me Darv..... if you used the word 'twit' with an '@' against a new member, wouldn't you warrant that that new member, if a non-sub, could alert his upset?

If the reciprocal happened, and a new user did the same to you - you would go ballistic...... out for the kill, because, purely, you know the site!
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:28
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Look at the back and forth that goes on in ALL GB THREADS! I Alert things in there that either are not removed, or take a day or two to remove. Never happens when one of my posts are removed, last one within a 2 minute period for example, then I am notified soon after as to why. Doesn't appear mods are over burdened to me.
    Me too, Rusty. A mod just removed a post of mine and gave me a warning. I really feel as if the mods are being unfair with me.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:30
    But answer me Darv..... if you used the word 'twit' with an '@' against a new member, wouldn't you warrant that that new member, if a non-sub, could alert his upset?
    Yes, I wouldn't warrant that that new member could alert his upset.
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:35
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Yes, I wouldn't warrant that that new member could alert his upset.
    So you are superior to any member, because you have been here longer than they? Is that it?

How about if they join and spend 60 years here, which I doubt you have left in your life....??? Are you still superior to they when they have been here 10 years, and you 14?

Your longevity of membership entitles you to more abuse? 😴

Systems included? 😏
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:36
    So you are superior to any member, because you have been here longer than they? Is that it?

How about if they join and spend 60 years here, which I doubt you have left in your life....??? Are you still superior to they when they have been here 10 years, and you 14?

Your longevity of membership entitles you to more abuse? 😴

Systems included? 😏
    Oh, you actually understood what I said? Can you enlighten me, please?
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:46
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Oh, you actually understood what I said? Can you enlighten me, please?
    Do you think I have never understood what you say?

Study Buddhism if you really need 'enlightenment'!

What do you really need for me to enlighten you?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 16:54
    Do you think I have never understood what you say?

Study Buddhism if you really need 'enlightenment'!

What do you really need for me to enlighten you?
    No and nothing.
  13. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '09 02:50
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Couldn't the same arguement be used for non sub recs?

I mean where does it end, where does it end??
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 Nov '09 14:35
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Couldn't the same arguement be used for non sub recs?

I mean where does it end, where does it end??
    Recs are for entertainment purposes only. Alerts are for reporting abuse and other negative content.

They are NOT to be compared.

Save your slippery slopes for the slip and slide in the back yard.

P-
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '09 14:55
    Recs are for entertainment purposes only. Alerts are for reporting abuse and other negative content.

They are NOT to be compared.

Save your slippery slopes for the slip and slide in the back yard.

P-
    Well said, rec'd

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree