1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 23:46
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    It is very petty to begin with. I am sure you were not involved with it. 😉

Just pointing out it could be abused.
    of course not *whistles contently* who would do such a childish thing?
  2. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 02:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Are you fielding messages from users who get attacked in the forums but don't have the ability to alert?

I didn't think so.

I don't have a time frame for how long, but I could probably compile a nice long list of non-subs I feel could use the alert system without abusing it. You must have several non-sub friends you've seen on the site for a time... ...[text shortened]... have the ability to alert a post without sending a PM to a mod, or using feedback.

P-
    1) Of course you can provide the time frame for 'how long', because for each non-subscriber on this nice long list, it clearly shows how long they have been on this site in their profiles.

2) What happens when a subscriber chooses not to renew the subscription, who still decides to play on here, who would still post, would he/she get to use the alert system?
    For example, if I chose not to renew my subscription, but I still want to play on here, and if and when I do post, if I find something posted that I wanted to alert, do I have to use site feedback or can I send a Mod a PM, and say, 'Hey!, I didn't want to renew my sub, but I do post now and then, and have alerted posts, I've not been on as long as those non-subs who are on your list, (who have been on here for 'some time'😉 but, can I be added to your list to use the alert system?'

3) Will you be wanting the non-subs on this nice long list, to be able to use the Recommend (a post) button too?
  3. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 07:44
    Originally posted by Elamef37
    If they can afford to pay for an internet connection on a monthly basis, or whatever, seems pretty ironic they can't pay up for yearly subscription to this site.
    This is bullc*. There are 9823740982 reasons people might be able to access internet and dont have money for a subscription.
    For me for example my rent includes my internet connection. There are also these things called internet-cafes, where you can pay for a short time of internet, not on a monthly basis.

Giving non-subs (that have been around a long time) alert buttons would probably improve the speed in which mods can 'clean' the forums.
    I dont think that the mods getting messages from non-subs who are ''attacked'' should be a reason. Getting attacked is rather normal...Only when swearing this should be alerted, and subs will also do when they see the swearing. If mods are annoyed by the messages they get they can always choose to ignore that person or give up the mod job.

The forums are open to all; public. If the public doesnt like the forums they can move along. If the public wants influence in the forums they can buy a sub.

If however non-subs will be given alert options i think it should be after they played at the site for a certain amount of time, prefered with a certain amount of posts in the forums too. I dont think mods should get the option to give away alert options. This will give them to much power and could lead to unfair situations (mods could favour thier 'friends'😉.
  4. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 08:29
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    This is bullc*. There are 9823740982 reasons people might be able to access internet and dont have money for a subscription.
    For me for example my rent includes my internet connection. There are also these things called internet-cafes, where you can pay for a short time of internet, not on a monthly basis.

Giving non-subs (that have been around a long t ...[text shortened]... m to much power and could lead to unfair situations (mods could favour thier 'friends'😉.
    Giving non-subs (that have been around a long time) alert buttons would probably improve the speed in which mods can 'clean' the forums. - Not necessarily, because it's been said often enough, that mods aren't always on at all times, and there have been 'x' amount of hours, between a post being alerted to being removed, there's no difference.

Only when swearing this should be alerted - doesn't the robomod take care of that?
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 08:571 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 08:58

7. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 09:00

8. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 12:19
    Originally posted by Elamef37

2) What happens when a subscriber chooses not to renew the subscription, who still decides to play on here, who would still post, would he/she get to use the alert system?
    For example, if I chose not to renew my subscription, but I still want to play on here, and if and when I do post, if I find something posted that I wanted to alert, do I have to use site feedback or can I send a Mod a PM, and say, 'Hey,'
    No!

Actually, I think being able to alert is a priveledge paid for.

There are 'some' posts which I have thought are rather dubious, if not downright unacceptable and cross pure boundaries. (Not usually at myself or others, but rather posts which are clearly contrary to the basic site rules.)

However, I don't pay again - yet. I don't feel entitled to have a warrant to decide if I can alert, as I am not paying for the priveledge.

I can also see what CFT is saying too though. I don't think many non-subs would really abuse it, and they would very soon become transparent if they did. They could be dealt with accordingly!

-m.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 14:24
    Originally posted by mikelom
    No!

Actually, I think being able to alert is a priveledge paid for.

There are 'some' posts which I have thought are rather dubious, if not downright unacceptable and cross pure boundaries. (Not usually at myself or others, but rather posts which are clearly contrary to the basic site rules.)

However, I don't pay again - yet. I don't feel entitled t ...[text shortened]... ould very soon become transparent if they did. They could be dealt with accordingly!

-m.
    Here's the thing.

You are more likely to fight on, trade insults, and cause mods more work if you as a non-sub can't alert a post.

That makes twice as much work. This was a major factor in why I made this thread.

I see long-standing non-subs who can NOT alert, and will fight on trading insults that by definition break RHP's Terms of service.

As for a time limit strict when a non-sub can alert, I don't care... so long as they eventually get the ability.

Rather than treat it as 'remove' their right to alert, now we get down to Russ banning a user from the site if they abuse the alert system.

Again, the reasoning behind Non-Subs NOT having alerts is the threat of them abusing it. If it were done my way, where alert privilege could be granted or taken things would roll on as normal.

In CFT's idea, the abuser would need to be removed from the site. This entices them to come back with a new name and we're back at square one.

Either is fine with me. I just feel that many long-standing non subs deserve the right to alert posts.

P-
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 14:28
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I just feel that many long-standing non subs deserve the right to alert posts.

P-
    Would that right include the likes of me in your agenda?

-m.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 14:48
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Would that right include the likes of me in your agenda?

-m.
    Sure would. You've been here long enough, and should have a say.

I'd rather see you alert something than trade blows with a clown who's laid a slew of accusations and insults on you.

P-
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 14:521 edit

13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 14:57
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I don't mind your way at all..

What would be needed if Non Subs were granted the alert system auto after a time is an Alert Bomb.

That way if a noob alerts 100+ posts for kicks, the alerts by that user could auto-cancel with the click of a button.

P-
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:00

15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:05
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    X number?! OMG!~

I'm taking the poll down, you take the spiral slide to the Mod Cave. We don't want another 'accident'.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree