1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 12:39
    This has been brought up b4, but I think its a great idea. There's no way of adding to your notebook when its your move.

I love looking at games when I'm drunk, but I learned the hard way not to move. Sometimes you see crazy (brilliant?) lines when drunk, but obviously forget about them by the time u wake up hungover.

It seems like a UI oversight more than anything else.

Any chance Russ?
    D
  2. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 18:30
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    This has been brought up b4, but I think its a great idea. There's no way of adding to your notebook when its your move.

I love looking at games when I'm drunk, but I learned the hard way not to move. Sometimes you see crazy (brilliant?) lines when drunk, but obviously forget about them by the time u wake up hungover.

It seems like a UI oversight more than anything else.

Any chance Russ?
    D
    You can add to the Notebook at any time. Just click where it says Notebook under the Move button.

~ Cheshire Cat 😀
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 18:56
    I love looking at games when I'm drunk, but...
    BTW: Why did you give up in Game 663852
    ah, this is off topic... sorry forget about it 😉
    th
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 19:51
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat
    You can add to the Notebook at any time. Just click where it says Notebook under the Move button.

~ Cheshire Cat 😀
    But I thought that when I wrote into the notebook and then didn't make a move, then my notes were lost.

I may be wrong, but I can't see how they are saved if I don't click on a button to save them.

D
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 20:12
    Originally posted by thire
    BTW: Why did you give up in Game 663852
    ah, this is off topic... sorry forget about it 😉
    th
    Now that u bring it up, I'm not entirely sure.

I had a master plan 😉 but then I realised I couldn't carry it out. Only now have I realised that I could have moved 5.. Na5, which may have given fckallie a few more problems than I thought I could have. To be honest I think I may have panicked (if that's possible in correspondence chess). Check out my first game (Game 497291) against an over 1900 player to see if panicking in correspondence chess is possible. =)

D
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 20:23
    But I thought that when I wrote into the notebook and then didn't make a move, then my notes were lost.

I may be wrong, but I can't see how they are saved if I don't click on a button to save them.

D
    Some weeks ago Russ updated the notbook and I think it meets perfect you requirements:
    If it is your move or not: click on "notebook" in the playchess-page. Write or edit your game notes.
    Move (and by doing that you save your notes) or click on "Save notebook changes" (yes, here you have to click...). All right?
    Perhaps it would make sense to be able to save changes even if I do not move (something like "Save notebook changes" when it's my move) and perhaps it would be cool to be able to edit in the analyse board.
    th
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 21:281 edit
    If it is your move or not: click on "notebook" in the playchess-page. Write or edit your game notes.
    Move (and by doing that you save your notes) or click on "Save notebook changes" (yes, here you have to click...). All right?
    Oh, so even if I don't physically move a piece, I can still click on move, purely to save my notebook. Nice. Not too intuitive though.

D
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 22:26
    Oh, so even if I don't physically move a piece, I can still click on move, purely to save my notebook. Nice. Not too intuitive though.

D
    No, if you don't move a piece nothing is saved. I just tried it. When it's your opponent's turn you can save changes in your notebook.
    th
  9. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 23:04
    please please please please please please ..... this is a REALLY big feature that would help me enormously.

I would love to be able to update notes as I think and browse through all my games ... then go back and make the moves one at a time. Perhaps the same sitting, perhaps later ....

The whole usefullness of the notebook is diluted when you can't update it freely.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 23:081 edit
    No, if you don't move a piece nothing is saved. I just tried it. When it's your opponent's turn you can save changes in your notebook.
    th
    ah, so the original request stands.

When it's your opponent's turn you can save changes in your notebook.

That's the UI oversight I was referring to.

Cheers anyway,

D
  11. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    24 Sep '04 07:10
    ah, so the original request stands.
    yep I oversaw that one. too fast, sorry...
    th
  12. Standard membernoodlepdx
    Kibitzing Regicides
    Portland, Oregon
    Moves
    25 Sep '04 04:24
    It's like this. When it is not your move, view the game, click Notebook, enter your notes, then click "save notebook changes". I just tried it and it works perfectly for me.

There is also an "analyze board" link on games when it is your opponent's turn.

However, if you want a quick way to get to analyze a board (without the popup window, in case you want to analyze more than one), use board history instead. If you are using a mozilla browser, bookmark the following: http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=%s . Go to the properties for that bookmark and assign it a keyword, such as "game". Now you can type "game 632452" into your URL bar and it will load board history for that game.

I have also written a search plugin for Mozilla browsers. To install it, simply copy both files from http://web.pdx.edu/~dbyrnes/redhotpawn/ into your C:\Program Files\Mozilla [Firefox]\searchplugins directory. Restart your browser. Now your search bar will include RHP game in the drop down list of searches. Enter a game number and it will take you to the board history.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Sep '04 09:311 edit
    Originally posted by noodlepdx
    It's like this. When it is not your move, view the game, click Notebook, enter your notes, then click "save notebook changes". I just tried it and it works perfectly for me.
    This has been brought up b4, but I think its a great idea. There's no way of adding to your notebook when its YOUR move.

I want to add something to the notebook when its my move, I don't want to move. Too hungover for long sentences.

??????

D
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    03 Oct '04 11:121 edit
    [b]This has been brought up b4, but I think its a great idea. There's no way of adding to your notebook when its YOUR move.

I want to add something to the notebook when its my move, I don't want to move. [/b]
    I've been looking into it a bit, and I think all that's needed is a link under the notebook edit box, saying save notebook changes (same as when it is not your move) with the link: javascript: SaveNotebook(); (without the space but had to do so to avoid 😕)

Russ, if that's all thats involved, could you put this job as a priority. If there is more involved in the background, then I respect that your time can be used in more important projects.

Cheers,

D
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Oct '04 15:47
    There is more to this than appears, but it is still not a big deal to do really.

Having said that, I will hold fire on this until the board interface update is complete, as this task is related, so at least another couple of months, I'm afraid.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree