1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 17:31
    I've gone to some other chess sites / games sites, and I've noticed that several of them have "rating guides." They give you a rating like here, and then they give you a color square or circle, etc, to represent your playing level.

For example, one site had something like this, but every site had the same colors and the colors meant the same thing (red being highest.)

Red = 2200 +
    Orange = 1700 - 2199
    Purple = 1300 - 1699
    Blue = 1000-1299
    Green = 0-999

Red meant master, orange meant seasoned, purple meant average, blue and green meant novice.

I think that'd be a cool (minor) idea. We could use the same guide too as it seems accurate to RHP

It's not necessary but it's a minor feature. What d'you think
  2. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 17:55
    Originally posted by Ramned
    😕 If it's not necessary, why are you bringing this up as a site idea? 🙄 😞
  3. Joined
    30 Jul '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:48
    I've gone to some other chess sites / games sites, and I've noticed that several of them have "rating guides." They give you a rating like here, and then they give you a color square or circle, etc, to represent your playing level.

For example, one site had something like this, but every site had the same colors and the colors meant the same thing (red be ...[text shortened]... t seems accurate to RHP

this may make it easyer for you to know your opponents Skill play but
    we also get that from our Ranking
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 22:141 edit
    We get enough big-headed bar stewards bragging about their ratings here already. Who cares what Fred Bloggs' rating is - most of us just like a friendly game. Terrible idea! 😠
  5. Subscriberbeatlemania
    Purveyor of Potatoes
    Here
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 22:40
    I like the idea. rec'd

P.S. I've has the same kind of idea but always got hit pretty hard by people 😞
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 23:552 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    We get enough big-headed bar stewards bragging about their ratings here already. Who cares what Fred Bloggs' rating is - most of us just like a friendly game. Terrible idea! 😠
    That's not the point. The point is to be able to judge your opponent's skill in comparison to others you might play. Nobody on here plays for their rating ('cept engine users). By the way Doc, I've never heard of anyone bragging about how good they are - usually people seem modest.

But I doubt this will work as it isn't necessary enough.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 00:421 edit
    That's not the point. The point is to be able to judge your opponent's skill in comparison to others you might play. Nobody on here plays for their rating ('cept engine users). By the way Doc, I've never heard of anyone bragging about how good they are - usually people seem modest.

But I doubt this will work as it isn't necessary enough.
    Why bother when we can see each other's ratings? You've got some very large ranges anyway, purple means nothing to me since it includes players from 1300 to 1699. I wouldn't compare a 1650 player to me let alone 1340 to a 1650.

The number tells us the story if we need to know. May as well give crappy farm trucks to the low rated players and private jets to the high rated players. At least with my rating I may end up with a reliable 4 door sedan, or a station wagon at worst.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree