Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    01 Aug '07 17:31
    I've gone to some other chess sites / games sites, and I've noticed that several of them have "rating guides." They give you a rating like here, and then they give you a color square or circle, etc, to represent your playing level.

    For example, one site had something like this, but every site had the same colors and the colors meant the same thing (red being highest.)

    Red = 2200 +
    Orange = 1700 - 2199
    Purple = 1300 - 1699
    Blue = 1000-1299
    Green = 0-999

    Red meant master, orange meant seasoned, purple meant average, blue and green meant novice.

    I think that'd be a cool (minor) idea. We could use the same guide too as it seems accurate to RHP

    It's not necessary but it's a minor feature. What d'you think
  2. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    01 Aug '07 17:55
    Originally posted by Ramned
    It's not necessary but it's a minor feature. What d'you think
    If it's not necessary, why are you bringing this up as a site idea?
  3. 01 Aug '07 19:48
    Originally posted by Ramned
    I've gone to some other chess sites / games sites, and I've noticed that several of them have "rating guides." They give you a rating like here, and then they give you a color square or circle, etc, to represent your playing level.

    For example, one site had something like this, but every site had the same colors and the colors meant the same thing (red be ...[text shortened]... t seems accurate to RHP

    It's not necessary but it's a minor feature. What d'you think
    this may make it easyer for you to know your opponents Skill play but
    we also get that from our Ranking
  4. 01 Aug '07 22:14 / 1 edit
    We get enough big-headed bar stewards bragging about their ratings here already. Who cares what Fred Bloggs' rating is - most of us just like a friendly game. Terrible idea!
  5. 01 Aug '07 22:40
    I like the idea. rec'd

    P.S. I've has the same kind of idea but always got hit pretty hard by people
  6. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    01 Aug '07 23:55 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    We get enough big-headed bar stewards bragging about their ratings here already. Who cares what Fred Bloggs' rating is - most of us just like a friendly game. Terrible idea!
    That's not the point. The point is to be able to judge your opponent's skill in comparison to others you might play. Nobody on here plays for their rating ('cept engine users). By the way Doc, I've never heard of anyone bragging about how good they are - usually people seem modest.

    But I doubt this will work as it isn't necessary enough.
  7. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    02 Aug '07 00:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    That's not the point. The point is to be able to judge your opponent's skill in comparison to others you might play. Nobody on here plays for their rating ('cept engine users). By the way Doc, I've never heard of anyone bragging about how good they are - usually people seem modest.

    But I doubt this will work as it isn't necessary enough.
    Why bother when we can see each other's ratings? You've got some very large ranges anyway, purple means nothing to me since it includes players from 1300 to 1699. I wouldn't compare a 1650 player to me let alone 1340 to a 1650.

    The number tells us the story if we need to know. May as well give crappy farm trucks to the low rated players and private jets to the high rated players. At least with my rating I may end up with a reliable 4 door sedan, or a station wagon at worst.

    P-