Alert his posts.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 05:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Alert his posts.
    Why? Being unoriginal isn't a crime, and neither is attention-seeking.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 06:37
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Why? Being unoriginal isn't a crime, and neither is attention-seeking.
    "What are your own "suggestions which might be mutually beneficial if implemented in 2016"?

Originally posted by HandyAndy
    "Muzzle Grampy Bobby".

The above reply ^ is his only suggestion. If a forum contributor's posts were so egregious as to require a "Muzzle" Russ has already provided the Alert feature. Nothing to do with "Being unoriginal isn't a crime, and neither is attention-seeking." Simply another example of off topic personal attack.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 11:081 edit
    Interesting. Though "who posted the most" is irrelevant, post volume recognition may motivate more postings by present and new [subscriber and non-subscriber] public forum contributors. I'm hopeful that Russ will clarify these questions soon. As always, thanks for you substantive insights.

Question: Wouldn't a positive synergy likely develop when subscriber threads are successful and attract increased non-subscriber participation?
    It seems to me that two separate issues are being confused here: a) wanting to do something (anything) to help Russ keep this web site running; and b) wanting to positively acknowledge "good" behavior (which, of course, remains to be defined) among site members who contribute to forums.

Positively re-inforcing sheer volume of posts by doling out some sort of honorable mention or recognition in another thread devoted to that purpose (a 'Hall of Fame' ) would not, it seems to me, help to achieve either of those objectives. It does not seem plausible to me that sheer volume of posts should have any direct relationship to revenue (a); and it certainly has no bearing on the quality of posts (b). Speaking for myself alone here, I would not be attracted to a forum simply because of its volume of posts; if pointless posts didn't attract the kind of people who deserve positive acknowledgment, then more pointless posts wouldn't either.

I would like to believe that positive synergy comes from quality posts, not quantity, and I am willing to try to make it so.

EDIT: my idea of a quality thread: silverstrker's creative writing contest. Anybody can submit a piece, anybody can vote. All very courteous, nobody gets upset.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 12:581 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    It seems to me that two separate issues are being confused here: a) wanting to do something (anything) to help Russ keep this web site running; and b) wanting to positively acknowledge "good" behavior (which, of course, remains to be defined) among site members who contribute to forums.

Positively re-inforcing sheer volume of posts by doling out some sort of ...[text shortened]... riting contest. Anybody can submit a piece, anybody can vote. All very courteous, nobody gets upset.
    Originally posted by Silverstriker (Page 1)
    "I like and support your first and second suggestions. (would the second one be by moves per year or since their join date?)

RHP is more of a chess site than a forum site so i personally don't seem the benefit of the third suggestion - and i am confused if by volume you mean lengths of post or quantity of posts? sorry that is me probably being dense

The fourth is quite sub-jective but i have the same reservations of this as the third one above.

How about a list of ten players who have entered the most tournaments in the previous year?"

I'll defer the general reply to Silverstriker [and to Russ regarding "volume of posts"].

2016 Question: Would you suggest simply going with the flow of the status quo? .

Footnote: Presently, the various colors of the subscriber's star is the only form of public recognition and is based on volume of chess moves.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 13:53
    "Presently, the various colors of the subscriber's star is the only form of public recognition and is based on volume of chess moves."

That is appropriate for a chess-players' web site. But I don't believe that those who have made the most moves have done so in order to get a different colored star. They have done so because they enjoy playing chess, and that enjoyment is its own reward.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 17:07
    "Presently, the various colors of the subscriber's star is the only form of public recognition and is based on volume of chess moves."

That is appropriate for a chess-players' web site. But I don't believe that those who have made the most moves have done so in order to get a different colored star. They have done so because they enjoy playing chess, and that enjoyment is its own reward.
    Au contraire. One good friend's primary objective here is to become an RHP Millionaire on the Most Active Player Table and may accomplish this meaningful goal during 2016 or early 2017. Though neither you nor I would be motivated by this goal, the fact that others are shouldn't be dismissed. imo. (1 of 2)
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 17:09

Public Forums: "The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation (called a 'thread' ), so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts." ~Russ (2 of 2)
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 17:14
    [b]Public Forums: "The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation (called a 'thread' ), so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts." ~Russ (2 of 2)[/b]
    Do you think the over use of quotations, especially quotations like the one you are using here, add or detract from your personal online credibility?
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 17:43
    [b]Public Forums: "The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation (called a 'thread' ), so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts." ~Russ (2 of 2)[/b]
    For sheer volume, the number of people who play chess here and do not post to the forums is greater than the number of people who post to the forums (whether or not they also play chess here). I leave it to the 'Boston archivist' to ferret out the exact stats, but just to give folks an idea: there are over 14,000 pages of players listed in the directory, and no where near that many active forum posters.
  11. Here
    Moves
    01 Jan '16 07:45
    For sheer volume, the number of people who play chess here and do not post to the forums is greater than the number of people who post to the forums (whether or not they also play chess here). I leave it to the 'Boston archivist' to ferret out the exact stats, but just to give folks an idea: there are over 14,000 pages of players listed in the directory, and no where near that many active forum posters.
    I refer to my earlier statement .The reason most people do not partake is that most subjects descend into throwing insults at one another.As this one is on the verge of doing
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '16 01:221 edit
    Originally posted by padger
    I refer to my earlier statement .The reason most people do not partake is that most subjects descend into throwing insults at one another.As this one is on the verge of doing
    Well said. Sad but true. There are many unhappy people on the internet.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '16 01:291 edit
    RHP Members stop by this website to 1) Compete in chess games; 2) Socialize on these public and private forums; or 3) Both. In my view, the irreducible essence of this thread's topic would be what will optimize subscriber and non-subscriber activity volumes in the two categories itemized above. Your view?
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jan '16 10:22
    RHP Members stop by this website to 1) Compete in chess games; 2) Socialize on these public and private forums; or 3) Both. In my view, the irreducible essence of this thread's topic would be what will optimize subscriber and non-subscriber activity volumes in the two categories itemized above. Your view?
    Offer a quality service and don't reward trolls.
  15. Joined
    22 Feb '10
    Moves
    02 Jan '16 14:46
    I don't like number 2. Rewarding people for making lots of moves encourages them to play hundreds (or thousands) of simultaneous games. I try to avoid playing such people, but it is hard to do since they seem to enter every available tournament.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree