1. SubscriberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Joined
    18 Feb '04
    Moves
    61730
    19 Oct '12 10:394 edits
    Could we have a troll button added to the forum, basically like an open petition button where each user gets to nominate a user once a year. Once they receive a set number of votes, for arguments sake say 20 times, by 20 different users, they are automatically banned from the forums? There has to be some sort of democratic way to police the forums.

    Oh, and before anyone might decide to jump down my throat for suggesting this, i might just add that i am just a likely to get a forum ban as anyone else, so fair's fair..

    Perhaps to limit abuse users could be limited to one vote a year.

    Perhaps even limit the decision to ban a user to the forum mods. But someone gaining 20-50 votes from various people would help push the serial abusers to the top and have them removed at some point.

    Anything along these lines..
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    518674
    19 Oct '12 10:51
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Could we have a troll button added to the forum, basically like an open petition button where each user gets to nominate a user once. Once they receive a set number of votes, for arguments sake say 20 times, by 20 different users, they are automatically banned from the forums? There has to be some sort of democratic way to police the forums.

    Oh, and b ...[text shortened]... s, i might just add that i am just a likely to get a forum ban as anyone else, so fair's fair..
    In fact it is too easy to

    * have multiple accounts on fake email adresses (has been done and needs some time to be detected, normally such offenders stick out with silly two move-defats in a row)

    * organise a witch-hunt.



    My suggestion would be an ombudsperson (say a froum moderator) and clear cut "trolling offenses" like

    * posting without contents (often)
    * ad hominem attacks
    * deviatiopn from topic to discuss some minor remark
    * ...

    more trnsparent decisions would be welcome.
  3. SubscriberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Joined
    18 Feb '04
    Moves
    61730
    19 Oct '12 10:54
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In fact it is too easy to

    * have multiple accounts on fake email adresses (has been done and needs some time to be detected, normally such offenders stick out with silly two move-defats in a row)

    * organise a witch-hunt.



    My suggestion would be an ombudsperson (say a froum moderator) and clear cut "trolling offenses" like

    * posting without ...[text shortened]... from topic to discuss some minor remark
    * ...

    more trnsparent decisions would be welcome.
    I think this is a debate that needs to be had either way. Openly inviting people into a witch hunt should be a banable offence in itself. But we need something. This isn't perfect, but what is worse, one user getting banned unfairly, on an entire forum of people leaving because of one person?
  4. Subscriberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    30961
    19 Oct '12 11:07
    I would prefer a system where the user had more control over what they see much like your greasemonkey script but it might require a more complex change to the software.
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    8179
    19 Oct '12 11:14
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Could we have a troll button added to the forum, basically like an open petition button where each user gets to nominate a user once. Once they receive a set number of votes, for arguments sake say 20 times, by 20 different users, they are automatically banned from the forums? There has to be some sort of democratic way to police the forums.

    Oh, and b ...[text shortened]... abusers to the top and have them removed at some point.

    Anything along these lines..
    So who are we going to ban, Rjhinds or the Duchess? It's bullying and it's wrong. It's not democracy it's a tyrrany of the majority. Thumbs down let's people know their post is not approved of by however many users, conversley a thumbs up shows someone appreciates a posters contribution. There is no need to allow anyone who happens to be able to whip up a lynch mob to be able to ban contributors out of personal distaste.
  6. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    55287
    19 Oct '12 11:14
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Could we have a troll button added to the forum, basically like an open petition button where each user gets to nominate a user once. Once they receive a set number of votes, for arguments sake say 20 times, by 20 different users, they are automatically banned from the forums? There has to be some sort of democratic way to police the forums.

    Oh, and b ...[text shortened]... abusers to the top and have them removed at some point.

    Anything along these lines..
    Or they could just drop the banhammer on RJHinds to solve the problem instead.
  7. SubscriberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Joined
    18 Feb '04
    Moves
    61730
    19 Oct '12 11:18
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    So who are we going to ban, Rjhinds or the Duchess? It's bullying and it's wrong. It's not democracy it's a tyrrany of the majority. Thumbs down let's people know their post is not approved of by however many users, conversley a thumbs up shows someone appreciates a posters contribution. There is no need to allow anyone who happens to be able to whip up a lynch mob to be able to ban contributors out of personal distaste.
    I purposely didn't mention any names as i'm not specifically talking about either of them. Do you remember Bowmann? What about Skeeter?? I can think of a good 10 or 15 people who terrorised the forums for years and were eventually banned, but the damage was done.

    This is not an open vote that everyone can see and jump on the band wagon. It's a private vote that you can only do ->once a year<-
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    19 Oct '12 11:30
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I think this is a debate that needs to be had either way. Openly inviting people into a witch hunt should be a banable offence in itself. But we need something. This isn't perfect, but what is worse, one user getting banned unfairly, on an entire forum of people leaving because of one person?
    Your edited version would make it more workable. I have mixed feelings about it because
    not all of us define trolling the same way. Judgments wouldn't always be objective.. and
    there would be the lingering temptation to gang up on one user. I agree that we need
    something.. and yet I'm not comfortable with the idea of imposing severe restrictions.
  9. SubscriberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Joined
    18 Feb '04
    Moves
    61730
    19 Oct '12 11:33
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Your edited version would make it more workable. I have mixed feelings about it because
    not all of us define trolling the same way. Judgments wouldn't always be objective.. and
    there would be the lingering temptation to gang up on one user. I agree that we need
    something.. and yet I'm not comfortable with the idea of imposing severe restrictions.
    One vote a year means people have to think about it before they decide to vote for anybody. Again, what is worse, one unhappy user or an entire forum unhappy?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    19 Oct '12 11:40
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Could we have a troll button added to the forum, basically like an open petition button where each user gets to nominate a user once a year. Once they receive a set number of votes, for arguments sake say 20 times, by 20 different users, they are automatically banned from the forums? There has to be some sort of democratic way to police the forums.

    Oh ...[text shortened]... abusers to the top and have them removed at some point.

    Anything along these lines..
    Horrible idea. The potential for abuse far outweighs any potential gain. If you don't like someone's posts, then don't read them or respond to them. Your equation of democracy with banning unpopular users is specious at best.
  11. SubscriberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Joined
    18 Feb '04
    Moves
    61730
    19 Oct '12 11:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Horrible idea. The potential for abuse far outweighs any potential gain. If you don't like someone's posts, then don't read them or respond to them. Your equation of democracy with banning unpopular users is specious at best.
    One vote a year isn't open to abuse is it?
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    19 Oct '12 12:12
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    One vote a year isn't open to abuse is it?
    You just get together a group of 20 like minded people and they could ban one person per year. You could make a clan out of it. The Banning Clan: The self-appointed arbiters of good taste on the forum.

    It's a horrible idea.
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    12727
    19 Oct '12 12:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You just get together a group of 20 like minded people and they could ban one person per year. You could make a clan out of it. The Banning Clan: The self-appointed arbiters of good taste on the forum.

    It's a horrible idea.
    I agree with rwingett. Strange but true.
  14. Subscriberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    30961
    19 Oct '12 12:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You just get together a group of 20 like minded people and they could ban one person per year. You could make a clan out of it. The Banning Clan: The self-appointed arbiters of good taste on the forum.

    It's a horrible idea.
    Already been done. They're called... hmm... too frightened... I need to grow a pair. Say it for me Robbie.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    318187
    19 Oct '12 12:23
    orangutan's spam-removal script (I'd recommend version 2, which just leaves a blank line where the post had been, and doesn't identify the spammer) is an effective way of removing the corrupting effect of a serial offender, without said offender being victimised in any way. Since this is presently only available to Firefox users, we could persuade our programmers to make it available to all users, by providing the suggested "remove troll" button to do exactly what that script does now?

    Doesn't make any judgements, spammer/troller is free to continue his/her activities without bothering other users, and if the worst offenders are "removed" other regular posters won't even be tempted to respond and thereby encourage the offender.
Back to Top