1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 12:47
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    orangutan's spam-removal script (I'd recommend version 2, which just leaves a blank line where the post had been, and doesn't identify the spammer) is an effective way of removing the corrupting effect of a serial offender, without said offender being victimised in any way. Since this is presently only available to Firefox users, we could persuade our progra ...[text shortened]... er regular posters won't even be tempted to respond and thereby encourage the offender.
    I have version 1, where can i get Version 2?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 13:05
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I agree with rwingett. Strange but true.
    What?!?! Forget it, I'm for the idea now. I'll get 20 henchmen together and make you my first clan ban. You're DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 13:15
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Could we have a troll button added to the forum, basically like an open petition button where each user gets to nominate a user once a year. Once they receive a set number of votes, for arguments sake say 20 times, by 20 different users, they are automatically banned from the forums? There has to be some sort of democratic way to police the forums.

Oh ...[text shortened]... abusers to the top and have them removed at some point.

Anything along these lines..
    I don't think so as it would too open to misuse. One person's freedom of speech is another's trolling; the lasting good thing about these forums is the relative freedom and [moderator controlled] tollerance there is of posting content. The moderation team can give someone 1,2,3 or more day bans if posts are repeatedly alerted, we should rely on their responsive judgement.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 13:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What?!?! Forget it, I'm for the idea now. I'll get 20 henchmen together and make you my first clan ban. You're DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!
    For the record, i'm not interested in setting up anything like that. Like i said before, setting up a witch hunt should be a banable offence in itself. The thumbs up/down was something i suggested, but i originally asked for the thumbs down to actually do something, like remove the post, or remove the poster. It does neither. The chess forum has died recently. What used to be a lively community is now a dust bowl. I find this very sad and would like to do something about it. Ok, you don't like this idea, i can accept that. But something really does need to be done, one way or another. I'm open to suggestions..
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 13:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't think so as it would too open to misuse. One person's freedom of speech is another's trolling; the lasting good thing about these forums is the relative freedom and [moderator controlled] tollerance there is of posting content. The moderation team can give someone 1,2,3 or more day bans if posts are repeatedly alerted, we should rely on their responsive judgement.
    Ok, so make bannings at the mods discretion, i'm fine with that.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 13:32
    Could we have a troll button added to the forum, basically like an open petition button where each user gets to nominate a user once a year. Once they receive a set number of votes, for arguments sake say 20 times, by 20 different users, they are automatically banned from the forums? There has to be some sort of democratic way to police the forums.

Oh ...[text shortened]... abusers to the top and have them removed at some point.

That sounds like the type of stupid idea I have come to expect these days.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 13:55
    It could be seen as a form of religious discrimination because the most persistent trolls are missionaries.

We need "objective" criteria for defining trolling, and some moderation in addition to voting on people.

Why not add a trolling button next to the like/dislike buttons for each post? When a post gets enough troll votes, it gets removed by a moderator. Only the most persistent trolls will continue to post as every comment gets removed. Those who persist in reposted deleted content should be banned.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 14:041 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    It could be seen as a form of religious discrimination because the most persistent trolls are missionaries.

We need "objective" criteria for defining trolling, and some moderation in addition to voting on people.

Why not add a trolling button next to the like/dislike buttons for each post? When a post gets enough troll votes, it gets removed by a moder ...[text shortened]... as every comment gets removed. Those who persist in reposted deleted content should be banned.
    Don't we already have an 'Alert Moderator' button?

The optimal solution is an "ignore posts" feature, similar to orangutan's "gbaway" script.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 14:07
    I have version 1, where can i get Version 2?
    http://im.feffed.me/scripts/gbaway2.user.js
  10. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 14:39

when i first read this it appealed to me greatly,
    because there's a guy i know...

but, after reading this thread through, i have to agree that overall the idea needs many modifications to be fair to lite trolls...

like me...

personally, i gotta explore the options already available,
    rather than advocating for additional legislation...
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 15:41
    There are trolls, and then there are.. trolls.
  12. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 16:07
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    There are trolls, and then there are.. trolls.
    You mean like Nick Bourbaki ?
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 16:45
    I purposely didn't mention any names as i'm not specifically talking about either of them. Do you remember Bowmann?
    Bowmann was a pain in the behind, and could not take criticism well when he was wrong. Nonetheless, he was a pretty solid chess player and often had intelligent things to contribute.

I played him one game. It was pretty well fought, but he won.

Did he get banned for cheating or forum abuse?
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 00:19
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Bowmann was a pain in the behind, and could not take criticism well when he was wrong. Nonetheless, he was a pretty solid chess player and often had intelligent things to contribute.

I played him one game. It was pretty well fought, but he won.

Did he get banned for cheating or forum abuse?
    Bowmann did not get banned !!!

-m.
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 13:34
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Bowmann did not get banned !!!

-m.
    Good to know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree