1. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 23:09
    I posted this in another thread, but I think the idea has merit:

Chess With Friends ( http://newtoyinc.com/wp/ ) is an iPhone app with a similar chess by correspondence model. The problem is you can only play other iPhone owners.

Otherwise it's a decent model of what a RHP iPhone app might look like. I'd pay money for that!

The CWF app is very simple. It shows you games in progress, one list is waiting for opponent and one list waiting for your move. That's all people need on their phone (can log into the site for everything else).

The site is a bit awkward on the iPhone browser, would be great to have a native app.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 11:24
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    I posted this in another thread, but I think the idea has merit:

Chess With Friends ( http://newtoyinc.com/wp/ ) is an iPhone app with a similar chess by correspondence model. The problem is you can only play other iPhone owners.

Otherwise it's a decent model of what a RHP iPhone app might look like. I'd pay money for that!

The CWF app is very si ...[text shortened]... se).

The site is a bit awkward on the iPhone browser, would be great to have a native app.
    I will be installing the iPhone SDK over the next few days, and if the documentation is good, then this should not be a problem. Time is the issue though...

I'll take a look at the referenced app.
  3. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 15:32
    Or maybe you could partner with the "Chess with Friends" guys: their iPhone app + RHP for the back end?
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 05:03
    Originally posted by Russ
    I will be installing the iPhone SDK over the next few days, and if the documentation is good, then this should not be a problem. Time is the issue though...

I'll take a look at the referenced app.
    Sweet.
  5. Guelph Ontario
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 01:02
    How about just a mobile version of the website?

I was thinking something like "m.rhp.com", that way us blackberry users could play too...actually anyone with a web enabled phone could play on their smart phone.
  6. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 06:46
    Originally posted by GhostintheShell
    How about just a mobile version of the website?

I was thinking something like "m.rhp.com", that way us blackberry users could play too...actually anyone with a web enabled phone could play on their smart phone.
    mobile.redhotpawn.com
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 08:58
    I have been digressing from my planned roadmap for RHP development (sorry, the clan enhancements are still happening) and started looking at proper dedicated versions of the site for different devices, starting with the iPhone.

If this work is successful, then a proper mobile client for this site will be released and I will replace the kludgy mobile.redhotpawn.com site with a proper light weight version for small devices.
  8. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '09 14:09
    Thanks!
  9. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 11:00
    I'd be happy to be a beta-tester for this, and provide feedback either publicly or privately as required.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 15:021 edit
    Originally posted by Gixxer
    I'd be happy to be a beta-tester for this, and provide feedback either publicly or privately as required.
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/img/iphone.JPG

This grab was taken off an emulator running some very early code. It is only a web app currently, so not a native app.

[This is a re-post, sorry!]

If it looks nearly complete, it isn't. But shouldn't take too long to roll out in to a beta.
  11. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 19:29
    Looks good--I'm looking forward to a more convenient way to lose chess games!
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 May '09 11:581 edit
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    Looks good--I'm looking forward to a more convenient way to lose chess games!
    As things stand right now, this should be available in beta by the end of next week.

I’ll make a post here later looking for beta testers, which will include using the iPhone client, and testing the site in general. Quite a lot of new code is bring rolled out to support this, so a beta period of a couple of weeks is probably required.
  13. Joined
    04 Jun '07
    Moves
    02 May '09 18:18
    SWEEEEEEEET i have a samsung but no data plan, i think im now ready to pay the 30 bucks a month to play on it.
  14. Joined
    04 Jun '07
    Moves
    02 May '09 18:261 edit
    -removed-
  15. Joined
    04 Jun '07
    Moves
    02 May '09 18:28
    ahh crap i thought i was typing into a contact form can you delete that post. my poor email is hanging out in the cold now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree