1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 May '09 10:26
    Originally posted by Gixxer
    First impressions...brilliant! I was wondering how you'd squeeze the complex functionality of RHP into a web app, but you've kept the important bits and left out enough extraneous stuff to clean it clean.

My first observations:

The board scrolling isn't an issue for me, once I'd worked out I needed to scroll at the side of the board.

What's the order ...[text shortened]... . The only bit that doesn't work is selecting and moving pieces...

Nice work. 🙂
    Thanks for the feedback.

Board preferences are taken from the normal site, yes.

As Safari and Chrome both use WebKit, I used Chrome when developing this - which is fine until you start to use the proprietary iPhone touch events, hence the inability to move on Android. No new development work will take place for a week now as I am taking some time out, but I will probably get the Andoird emulator installed again and make sure click events are used if Chrome is the browser in use.

Sort order is now "time remaining", most urgent first.

I should also mention, having just reminded myself, that only your inbox games are listed.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 May '09 13:39
    I already play 90% of my moves on rhp on my iPhone and am using it now to post this thread. I think the site already works really well with the iPhone and is a lot better than other sites I visit. However, I'm not sure how well it works with other smart phones.

The history functionality is the only thng that doesn't work well with my iPhone. It takes to long to move between moves. I usually use my PC for that.
  3. Mosfellsbær, Iceland
    Moves
    23 May '09 03:26
    I'd love to help the beta process on this if possible. Thanks!
  4. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    23 May '09 13:35
    Looks good. It would be nice to be able to view the games waiting for the other guy to move.
  5. Mosfellsbær, Iceland
    Moves
    23 May '09 17:18
    Thanks for adding me to the beta list, Russ. I just ran through the site for the first time and made a note of things that appeared to be buggy or incomplete. I'll save "future ideas" for another post. All in all, this looks awesome. I don't have any moves waiting, so I wont be able to QA that section until an opponent moves, but from what I've seen of the menus I can see myself using this quite a bit.

Here's my observations so far:

Login Screen -
    Password is being displayed in plain text. Should be password field.

Messages -
    Some formatting seems lost on message content.
    Specifically, there are no line breaks in messages.
    Character encoding seems off as well. I'm seeing apostrophes turn into diamonds with question marks in them. It's probably a ISO->UTF-8 issue.

Player Profile -
    Same issue as messages. Linebreaks are being stripped from copy.
  6. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    23 May '09 17:41
    Originally posted by Russ
    Thanks for checking it out ouroboros.

1) A preferences page has been added where this can be selected.
    My after move preference doesn't seem to get saved.
  7. Canada
    Moves
    23 May '09 22:16
    I would like to use my HTC smart phone. It runs on windows mobile. I can access the site but cannot make moves. The board and pieces do not seem to function.

Does anyone know if there is a patch for this?
  8. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    24 May '09 13:32
    Originally posted by Maroczy
    I would like to use my HTC smart phone. It runs on windows mobile. I can access the site but cannot make moves. The board and pieces do not seem to function.

Does anyone know if there is a patch for this?
    Are you using http://mobile.redhotpawn.com or the main site?
  9. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    24 May '09 13:33
    Small cosmetic error. When I accepted a draw, the app gave me an "Illegal move" error. It also gave the "Game drawn" "Game Over" messages.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 May '09 21:09
    I'm taking some time out, so it will be a week before I can get further fixes/enhancements up, but please keep the bug reports or enhancement requests coming.

Thanks again everyone for helping out.
  11. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    25 May '09 15:57
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    My after move preference doesn't seem to get saved.
    This might because I play from the iPhone and the Web site. On the Web, I have an after move preference of show the current board (so I can enter conditional moves) but on the iPhone I'd like to have go to the next waiting game.
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 May '09 21:27
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    This might because I play from the iPhone and the Web site. On the Web, I have an after move preference of show the current board (so I can enter conditional moves) but on the iPhone I'd like to have go to the next waiting game.
    The iPhone preference is just preserved in a cookie, and the preference on the main site should not make any difference.

There could be a bug of course...
  13. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 21:44
    I have the same problem. Everything seems to work, but each time I use the iphone site I have to save my preference again. Otherwise the cookies seem to work (I don't have to log in every time).
  14. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 12:09
    firstly - the iphone version is excellent - thanks Russ.

i have a couple of observations...(note - iphone running 3.0 beta firmware - so this may have some bearing!)

the logout button is too easily hit! e.g. move from my games, press My home (top left) double tap accidentally, log out :-( personally, i'd like a confirmation that I really want to log out (I never wish to logout anyway!)

cosmetic - all the buttons ('refresh', 'my home' etc.) seem to be truncated to 'My H...' 'Refre...' etc. (I guess related to the beta firmware)
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 12:591 edit
    I made a couple of tweaks, confirmation on logout and a fix for the preferences cookie problem. Thanks to everyone who posted feedback, I'll let this out in the wild now.

This is now free for anyone to use.

Type iphone.redhotpawn.com into Safari on your iPhone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree