1. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    02 May '09 18:54
    Originally posted by action
    ahh crap i thought i was typing into a contact form can you delete that post. my poor email is hanging out in the cold now.
    You should be able to edit it out within 1 hour of posting.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 May '09 09:13
    If anyone has an iPhone and would like to help with some early testing, please post below.

Unfortunately, I only have an emulator available, and would like to get some feedback from a user of a physical piece of hardware.

Thanks.
  3. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    07 May '09 13:11
    Originally posted by Russ
    If anyone has an iPhone and would like to help with some early testing, please post below.

Unfortunately, I only have an emulator available, and would like to get some feedback from a user of a physical piece of hardware.

Thanks.
    I'd be willing to try it out.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 May '09 14:20
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    I'd be willing to try it out.
    Thanks Ouroboros.

A friend has just offered to loan me his dev iPhone over the weekend, so I can give that a try first now, but I'll add you to the new beta team next week so I can get your feedback anyway.
  5. Joined
    09 Sep '03
    Moves
    08 May '09 20:18

Thanks.
    I'd like to give it a shot. I have one of the original iPhones
  6. Joined
    12 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 16:04
    I have an iphone and would definitely be willing to try it out - sounds a great idea!
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 May '09 08:38
    Thanks for the offer of help guys.

I've decided to put a little more time into this, because having now used a real iPhone to test, I realised the board interface was actually quite tricky to use with a big fat finger. (I struggle to type on an iPhone too though) Therefore, I hope to introduce a similar idea to the virtual keyboard where the key pops out above your finger.

If I can make this idea fly, then it should be ready for testing, with the exception of one other known problem that I will discuss later. It is not a show stopper, fortunately.
  8. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    15 May '09 17:34
    Thanks for the offer of help guys.
    Looks good. A few notes:

1) An option to go to the next game after playing a move instead of having to click the 'Next...' button.

2) When there are no moves to be made, change the label of the 'Next...' button to something else and have it take you back home or something.

3) Indicate how many games are awaiting moves.

4) Probably not much you can do but try to scroll up or down when the board is on the screen is tough. You need to drag on the edge to get it and it seems sluggish.

On the positive side, it looks good. Notebook and messaging seem to work. Nice work on the icons and design.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 May '09 11:062 edits
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    Looks good. A few notes:

1) An option to go to the next game after playing a move instead of having to click the 'Next...' button.

2) When there are no moves to be made, change the label of the 'Next...' button to something else and have it take you back home or something.

3) Indicate how many games are awaiting moves.

4) Probably not much you ...[text shortened]... de, it looks good. Notebook and messaging seem to work. Nice work on the icons and design.
    Thanks for checking it out ouroboros.

1) A preferences page has been added where this can be selected.

2) The "next game" button has now been replaced by a "home" button when no further games are waiting.

3) After every move, the number of games remaining is now shown in the green message area at the top of the page.

4) Initially it was possible to scroll by touching the board and dragging, but this had to be dropped to support the tool-tip like popouts when your finger is dragged across the board. I don't want to shrink the board either, so, I'll have to wait for some more opinions on this. I don’t have hardware available right now to revisit this, but certainly on the emulator (with a mouse pointer!) there is no problem.
  10. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    20 May '09 15:11
    How can I get into the beta test group?
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 May '09 15:37
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    How can I get into the beta test group?
    Check your private messages for further details.
  12. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    21 May '09 14:50
    4) Initially it was possible to scroll by touching the board and dragging, but this had to be dropped to support the tool-tip like popouts when your finger is dragged across the board. I don't want to shrink the board either, so, I'll have to wait for some more opinions on this. I don’t have hardware available right now to revisit this, but certainly on the emulator (with a mouse pointer!) there is no problem.
    Looks good. I thought that I was having a problem where the app was locking up the phone but it doesn't seem to be happening any longer. I'll keep an eye on it.

The board scrolling is getting a little better as the muscle memory starts taking over.
  13. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    21 May '09 22:08
    Check your private messages for further details.
    Need more help? I offered earlier but have only just re-visited this thread and missed the details. I have an iPhone 3G and some experience of developing web apps.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 May '09 08:38
    Originally posted by Gixxer
    Need more help? I offered earlier but have only just re-visited this thread and missed the details. I have an iPhone 3G and some experience of developing web apps.
    Thanks, check your messages.
  15. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    22 May '09 09:48
    First impressions...brilliant! I was wondering how you'd squeeze the complex functionality of RHP into a web app, but you've kept the important bits and left out enough extraneous stuff to clean it clean.

My first observations:

The board scrolling isn't an issue for me, once I'd worked out I needed to scroll at the side of the board.

What's the order of My Games? Is this something that could be set in My Preferences? And is it possible to have this auto-refresh when returning to it from a game move?

I wondered if an indication of which colour I'm playing would be helpful. It's not always obvious in endgames, but I'm using the green highlighted opponents move to tell me. And of course I can't move pieces that aren't mine! Perhaps the opponents name in the 'Game xxxxx vs Opponent' could be black or white accordingly?

Board pieces...is this taken from the players RHP site preferences?

And I know this is out-of-scope for your testing, but you might like to know that the site renders perfectly on Google Android handsets. The only bit that doesn't work is selecting and moving pieces...

Nice work. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree