1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 May '20 08:25
    @moonbus
    You have made some very good points. As one of the more
    prolific posters on here I would accept having my own posts
    curtailed if that meant a reduction in "spam" from others.
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    01 May '20 10:271 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    @moonbus
    Problem here is defining what is spam. Some of the most random and surreal posts are the ones that make me laugh. A bit of banter is good. Maybe we are just trying to solve one of the age old problems of the human condition. What some find funny others don't. You can only say it didn't work for you but its a lot harder to say what would never work for anybody. Personally I am okay with extreme language used in context with a sense of humour. I would prefer that to seeing people gloating over the numbers of people dying in the western world but that would seem to make me too tolerant of certain words and too intolerant of insensitive repetitive reference to human tragedy.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 May '20 11:16
    @petewxyz said
    Problem here is defining what is spam.
    I am no in favour of censorship ... I am tying to find a solution to banal posting.
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    01 May '20 11:20
    @petewxyz said
    Problem here is defining what is spam. Some of the most random and surreal posts are the ones that make me laugh. A bit of banter is good. Maybe we are just trying to solve one of the age old problems of the human condition. What some find funny others don't. You can only say it didn't work for you but its a lot harder to say what would never work for anybody. Personally I a ...[text shortened]... o tolerant of certain words and too intolerant of insensitive repetitive reference to human tragedy.
    Thanks for virtually verbalizing my thoughts.
    It saves me a lot of time.

Good post! πŸ™‚
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 May '20 13:401 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    I am no in favour of censorship ... I am tying to find a solution to banal posting.
    I have no objection to banal or humorously silly posts either (goodness knows, I've posted enough silly stuff myself). The problem is people who bombard serious threads with senseless blather. There's no changing people, but there may be a way to limit bombardment.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 May '20 20:25
    @lemondrop said
    they're talking about you
    Of course lemondrop it is quite obvious to anyone who follows the threads! πŸ˜‰ You see I am not a "YES" man and the group don't like people who are not "YES" men or women for that matter.

-VR
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 May '20 20:292 edits
    @wolfgang59 said
    Of course that is exactly what is being suggested (CENSORSHIP)

Not what the forums are meant to be. We may end up losing paying subscribers have you thought about that part of it.........I don't think that is something Russ would want to see.

You do know there are private clubs you can chat in if you don't want to be disturbed that is why they are there!

Hell just make one up, Very Rusty not permitted should do!!!! πŸ˜‰

So called problem solved!

-VR
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 May '20 06:20
    Banal posters eventually kill forums, in a way that even the one-eyed conspiracy theorists cannot do. They're just unanswerable. Like the guy at the party who interrupts every conversation with some irrelevancy, triggering a disruption of thought processes and causing individuals to just walk away. They may re-form and attempt to continue their exchange of ideas, but the bore goes where the action is and throws another intellectual spanner in the works. The weirdest thing is that he thinks he's helping to keep the party action going.
    Anonymity is a wonderful thing. Replace "party" with "business meeting" and see the difference.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 May '20 08:44
    @kewpie said
    Banal posters eventually kill forums, in a way that even the one-eyed conspiracy theorists cannot do. They're just unanswerable. Like the guy at the party who interrupts every conversation with some irrelevancy, triggering a disruption of thought processes and causing individuals to just walk away. They may re-form and attempt to continue their exchange of ideas, but the bo ...[text shortened]...
    Anonymity is a wonderful thing. Replace "party" with "business meeting" and see the difference.
    Thank you for that post.

It will however not alter things. As you correctly said: The person doesn't feel himself to be the disruptor...

We can deal with the openly disruptive pople in a way. BUt all in all internet forums need a stable base to work.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 May '20 16:32
    @ponderable said
    Thank you for that post.

It will however not alter things. As you correctly said: The person doesn't feel himself to be the disruptor...

We can deal with the openly disruptive pople in a way. BUt all in all internet forums need a stable base to work.
    That is why we have Moderators who remove posts that are not acceptable pondy!

-VR
  11. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    03 May '20 16:39
    @very-rusty said
    That is why we have Moderators who remove posts that are not acceptable pondy!

-VR
    that is why we have moderators who want to impose their sense of morality
    what guidelines are they using?
    their own or does it come from the top?
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 May '20 16:522 edits
    @lemondrop said
    that is why we have moderators who want to impose their sense of morality
    what guidelines are they using?
    their own or does it come from the top?
    Nothing is going to be perfect, and someone is going to be upset. It does however help to keep certain things out of the forums. We have all had posts removed. (Perhaps I should have said most of us)! πŸ˜‰ Have you read the TOS carefully? We all know who has the final say don't we!

-VR
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    03 May '20 16:56
    @wolfgang59 said
    @moonbus
    What about if you went the opposite way to curtailing and you earned more posting rights in the thread for getting green thumbs up. Ignore the red ones so nobody can get victimized, but run out of posts for that thread if nobody is liking what you are contributing? Maybe start with a given two posts for any thread but get two more available everytime somebody liked seeing you post in it?
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 May '20 17:13
    @petewxyz said
    What about if you went the opposite way to curtailing and you earned more posting rights in the thread for getting green thumbs up. Ignore the red ones so nobody can get victimized, but run out of posts for that thread if nobody is liking what you are contributing? Maybe start with a given two posts for any thread but get two more available everytime somebody liked seeing you post in it?
    I could post I am going to give everyone 1,000.00 and would get a thumbs down. It just becomes a popularity contest!

-VR
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    03 May '20 17:24
    @petewxyz said
    this is rational
    i approve

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree