1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 11:04
    Sandbagging is caused by players lowering their rating by throwing non-clan games so their clan games are against lower rated players.

If a two rating system was created, one rating for non-clan games and another rating for clan games, this would stop this problem instantly.
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 13:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Sandbagging is caused by players lowering their rating by throwing non-clan games so their clan games are against lower rated players.

If a two rating system was created, one rating for non-clan games and another rating for clan games, this would stop this problem instantly.
    Such a feature is already in use for clubs.
    It is only applied when members of a club play a game against each other from within the club, so it would have to be modified a little.
    I'm not sure why but the club must have ten members before it is activated, but after that it is used. Club member ratings even start with a provisional rating.
    (I'm not aware of any good reason not to activate the separate rating system as soon as there are two members.)

So since it's already in use for clubs it may not take much coding to apply it to clans as well.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 14:58

You may have something there.
    I can't remember this being suggested before and I can't think of any drawbacks offhand.
    After all you can have an exclusive club rating so why not an exclusive clan rating?
  4. Here
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 14:17

Talking of sandbagging that's a whole load of time out's you have there
  5. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 16:03

But am I right in thinking that certain players sandbag, so that they can qualify for lower rated Tourney,s which they want to win so so much. It's not just a Clan thing is it?
  6. Here
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 16:13
    Originally posted by Steve45
    But am I right in thinking that certain players sandbag, so that they can qualify for lower rated Tourney,s which they want to win so so much. It's not just a Clan thing is it?
    correct
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 00:53
    Originally posted by Steve45
    Once we have a two-tiered rating system in place, other rules specific to each rating can be implemented. The problem with all the suggestions so far is that they must be a "one size fits all" under the current system, while clearly, some suggestions work better for the clan rating, and some work better for the non-clan rating. With two ratings, we can accommodate the best suggestions for each without worrying how they affect the other.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 01:021 edit
    Originally posted by padger
    Well, see here's the problem. I don't really have the most 'stable' life. There have been periods in my life when I rightfully decided that my real life took precedence over my chess here. During these times, my rating here is the last thing on my mind.

Losing a ton of games just to lower my rating for clan games is ridiculous, considering that I'm not in a lot of clans. My rating is my own business, and I've been trying to come back from my latest trip below 1000 for quite some time now. Meanwhile, there are others who manipulate their rating with such fine detail so that they regularly are able to join two tiers of the same tourney. This needs to stop, as well as those who misrepresent their actual strength for clan games.

I assure you that my TER is congruent to my chess ability. I haven't played at my peak for over 5 years now.
  9. Here
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 06:21
    Well, see here's the problem. I don't really have the most 'stable' life. There have been periods in my life when I rightfully decided that my real life took precedence over my chess here. During these times, my rating here is the last thing on my mind.

Losing a ton of games just to lower my rating for clan games is ridiculous, considering that I'm ...[text shortened]... that my TER is congruent to my chess ability. I haven't played at my peak for over 5 years now.
    perhaps you spend too much time on the forums
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 17:53

Simplest ideas are usually the best. This is a good one.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 12:46
    Ouch that gotta hurt.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 12:48

We the Easy Riders welcome this, it will root out those who make unscrupulous use of tournaments etc to throw games.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 12:49
    perhaps you spend too much time on the forums
    Come on, that's a specious claim.

Sounds like someone's been coaching you.
  14. Here
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 15:20
    Come on, that's a specious claim.

Sounds like someone's been coaching you.
    Well you only have three games going on at the moment so you must spend all your time trying to cause confusion on the forums
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 03:35
    Well you only have three games going on at the moment so you must spend all your time trying to cause confusion on the forums
    I spend "all" my time off this site, actually. I have a life. I know, crazy, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree