Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 17:51
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    My syggestion would be...

Do keep the vacation flag available..

However..

Once the flag is up, all his/her games should be frozen:
    - time does not count down anymore (so you don't resume the game without any timebank)
    - the player on vacation should not be able to move in any game

And..

Once a vacation flag is active, the flag can not be ...[text shortened]... moves and put the flag up again)

Otherwise..

Yes, then remove the vacation flag system..
    Amsterdam: time does not count down anymore (so you don't resume the game without any timebank)

This would increase, not decrease, the problem of excessive time that rounds in tournaments, clan matches and the clan leagues take.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 19:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Amsterdam: time does not count down anymore (so you don't resume the game without any timebank)

This would increase, not decrease, the problem of excessive time that rounds in tournaments, clan matches and the clan leagues take.
    Slowing everything down is always the best solution. Don't you understand?

Stop the clocks, no moving on vacation, vacation can't be lifted early, etc.

P-
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 21:19
    People pushed for mandatory timeouts in tourneys and got them to speed up the tourneys; what sense does it make for the entire purpose of mandatory T/O's in tourneys to be circumvented because a few people want to use a vacation flag to protect themselves from being time-outed when they aren't even on vacation?

I don't care about your "solu ...[text shortened]... w the vacation flags; I know of no correspondence tourneys that allow vacation flags.
    It's a bit disingenuous to disregard the capabilities of the site designers, especially when they have already implemented multiple tiered systems for tournaments, ie: the time controls.

I don't see how your proposed "simplest" solution can even be considered a solution considering it goes against what the majority of players have stated they wanted, ie: the ability to take a break from RHP.

Regarding the tournament and player you singled out as the basis for your complaint, could you reiterate your point of contention?

Regarding your expectation of how long a 3/7 tournament should last; assuming the longest game of a round is 60 moves, and assuming both players use most of their TO, even without going into TB or vacation, then each round could take 360 days. The thread which inspired your thread has nearly completed 2 rounds within a year, which seems to me to be flying along.

If you want tournaments to be over quicker, why don't you play shorter time controls, ie: with 1/7 one can reasonably expect a round to finish within 120 days.

D
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 21:531 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    It's a bit disingenuous to disregard the capabilities of the site designers, especially when they have already implemented multiple tiered systems for tournaments, ie: the time controls.

I don't see how your proposed "simplest" solution can even be considered a solution considering it goes against what the majority of players have stated they wanted, ie: me controls, ie: with 1/7 one can reasonably expect a round to finish within 120 days.

D
    LMAO!!!!! Have you ever actually played a 3/7 tourney on this site? I won two; the Athena Grouped Random and the Gareth Grouped Random. The first started in August 04 and was concluded in May 05, a period of 9 months. The second started in October 04 and concluded in June 05' a period of 8 months. They were "only" three rounds but it shows that before the present vacation system, tourneys could end in a reasonable period of time. I looked at 5 more I played in; the Eir, Balder, Tristan, Lamorak and Galahad; none took even a year to complete.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 22:25
    LMAO!!!!! Have you ever actually played a 3/7 tourney on this site? I won two; the Athena Grouped Random and the Gareth Grouped Random. The first started in August 04 and was concluded in May 05, a period of 9 months. The second started in October 04 and concluded in June 05' a period of 8 months. They were "only" three rounds but it shows that before th ...[text shortened]... played in; the Eir, Balder, Tristan, Lamorak and Galahad; none took even a year to complete.
    I simply gave the longest that 1 should expect a round could possibly take without the use of TB or vacation. Complaining because somebody uses their time as they wish is a different kettle of fish.

It seems to me, seeing as the player you singled out at the start of this thread hasn't even delayed the present round through his use of vacation, and seeing as you constantly decide not to engage in proactive discourse, that you are simply whining about players using their preagreed allotment of time as they wish.

If this is not the basis of your whinge, then I reinvite you to please explain the relevance of Game 4731753 to your belief that use of the vacation flag is (unreasonably) slowing tournaments.

I'll also reinvite you to explain why you think going against the wishes of the majority of players in disallowing them from taking vacation from RHP is a better solution than pleasing both the majority of fair players and the rating rats who want to increase their rating (possibly so they can start bragging threads about their new rating) through TOs of people unable to get online for whatever reason: tournaments with vacation allowed and not allowed?

D
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 23:151 edit
    I simply gave the longest that 1 should expect a round could possibly take without the use of TB or vacation. Complaining because somebody uses their time as they wish is a different kettle of fish.

It seems to me, seeing as the player you singled out at the start of this thread hasn't even delayed the present round through his use of vacation, and seei ble to get online for whatever reason: tournaments with vacation allowed and not allowed?

D
    Are you able to actually understand the English language? It doesn't seem so.

I already rather patiently explained to you that the vote taken did not address the issues raised here, so the majority haven't expressed any opinion on them. Of course, you have ignored that probably because you have no smart-ass answer for it. A "vacation" from RHP would mean what Merriam-Webster said i.e. a break from it not the Ragnorakian definition (whatever that is).

I'd glad the player has moved in his game, but the fact remains that if he chooses to, he can refuse to move for 5 weeks in the tournament without penalty even while moving in all of his other games. This is an irrational result not contemplated by the majority of people here. I also ask you AGAIN, to explain how you can reconcile the decision, apparently supported by the majority, to award automatic timeouts in tourneys to speed their progress up with the admin's decision to make it so the vacation system can completely erase any advantage in time gained by the mandatory timeout. In fact, it has a far more detrimental effect.

BTW, YOU said: Regarding your expectation of how long a 3/7 tournament should last

My expectation is based on my experiences. Now you seem to want to claim that that experience is irrelevant. 🙄
  7. Here
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 05:27
    Why don't you just play blitz games if yo want fast games
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 06:10
    I'll keep my vacation flag and immunity, thank you very much.

I want to say "lighten up, it's only a game", but i don't play in tournaments if i can help it. That being said, i can understand how someone who takes the site too seriously could be bummed out if someone takes their holidays at an inopportune moment 😛

It's just a game.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 07:19
    The question was:

Would you be happy if players were immune from timeout while [b]on vacation
    for a limited period (e.g. 4 weeks per year)?

The system now doesn't actually require you to be on vacation at all [/b]
    The question posed is fine. Another way of asking the exact same question would be "would you like to be able to take a period of up to 4 weeks away from RHP for whatever reason, eg: vacation, family bereavement, natural disaster, etc without being in danger of being TO'd?"

The majority have clearly said that they want to have this facility.

If my english skills are up to speed, I interpret your thread title "scrap the vacation system" to mean you don't want people to have what they want. I timeout immunity period. Instead, you prefer to only pander to the needs of those who spend 16 hours a day on here, AND the rating rats who used to state in their profile that they'd time you out even if flying the vacation flag.

BTW: do you honestly expect RHP to validate flight tickets to ensure that players booking vacation from RHP are actually going on holiday? Aren't you taking a site on the internet a little too seriously if that's your expectation?

D
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 07:26
    I'd glad the player has moved in his game, but the fact remains that if he chooses to, he can refuse to move for 5 weeks in the tournament without penalty even while moving in all of his other gamesere.
    Oh, so you ARE complaining simply because the round is approaching the ceiling for what a 3/7 tournament round can take without use of TB nor vacation. Thanks for clearing up what your gripe is actually about. I'm glad I pointed out to you what a reasonable ceiling will be in a 3/7 tournament. Sure, the majority won't approach this ceiling, but occasionally they will.

So as a solution to your whinge, do you want to be able to time people out who are using too much time (in your opinion, even though they are staying within the TO/TB controls? ) Do you want to change the time controls in the middle of a round to suit just you?

D
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 07:27
    I also ask you AGAIN, to explain how you can reconcile the decision, apparently supported by the majority, to award automatic timeouts in tourneys to speed their progress up
    I'm unaware of this vote. Have you got a link?

D
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 07:341 edit
    I'm unaware of this vote. Have you got a link?

D
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=13

But the result was questionned, because there were more issues than just yes and no involved.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 10:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=13

But the result was questionned, because there were more issues than just yes and no involved.
    What has that got to do with auto timeouts in tournaments?

As to your comment on the vacation vote, the majority voted for the ability to take a 4 week vacation from RHP. Any issues resulting from the admins' implementation would require a tweaking of the existing timeout immunity system.

This thread is entitled "Scrap the Vacation System", which goes against what the majority clearly want.

D
  14. Standard memberTychoo
    F**k the EU, IMF,WB
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 11:18
    Could some programming be written so that when a player moves in a game that the vacation flag is on forfeits their vacation privilege on that game?😛
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 11:19
    What has that got to do with auto timeouts in tournaments?

As to your comment on the vacation vote, the majority voted for the ability to take a 4 week vacation from RHP. Any issues resulting from the admins' implementation would require a tweaking of the existing timeout immunity system.

This thread is entitled "Scrap the Vacation System", which goes against what the majority clearly want.

D
    We are talking about the current vacation system? And the time out immunity? And that the immunity slows down tournaments? That's what the vote=13 was all about: "Would you be happy if players were immune from timeout while on vacation for a limited period?" yes/no.

If we get rid of the immunity, then the tournament would go faster, wouldn't get stuck with participants in vacation, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree