1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 12:171 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I'm unaware of this vote. Have you got a link?

D
    People don't express their preferences here just by votes as you well know. Your arguments in this thread are so intellectually dishonest it's pathetic.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 12:201 edit
    Oh, so you ARE complaining simply because the round is approaching the ceiling for what a 3/7 tournament round can take without use of TB nor vacation. Thanks for clearing up what your gripe is actually about. I'm glad I pointed out to you what a reasonable ceiling will be in a 3/7 tournament. Sure, the majority won't approach this ceiling, but occasion ...[text shortened]... ls? ) Do you want to change the time controls in the middle of a round to suit just you?

D
    This post is filled with so many lies I don't know where to start. So I won't bother. I've stated what my opinion is and it has nothing to do with your distorted, dishonest version.

My position was clearly stated:

but if there is going to be a mandatory one at least forbid players from making moves in any games or losing the protection of the vacation. If you're on vacation, you're on vacation; it should not be used for the gamesmanship of not moving in some games to avoid losses while moving in virtually all of your other games. And the vacation flag should not protect you at all in tournament games IMO; it is too much of an inconvenience for the vast majority of other players.

Deal with that, not the strawman you have created.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 12:27
    The question posed is fine. Another way of asking the exact same question would be "would you like to be able to take a period of up to 4 weeks away from RHP for whatever reason, eg: vacation, family bereavement, natural disaster, etc without being in danger of being TO'd?"

The majority have clearly said that they want to have this facility.

If my ...[text shortened]... u taking a site on the internet a little too seriously if that's your expectation?

D
    But people aren't required to be "away from RHP" in the present system. So your version of what the vote meant is invalid. The majority have said nothing about people being allowed to game the system by using the vacation flag while still moving (and being allowed to timeout others).

I realize you are deliberately misstating my position over and over again, but I really don't care if you're on a actual physical vacation or not. The question is whether you're on vacation (please see the Merriam Webster definition AGAIN) from RHP. If you are not, then you shouldn't enjoy any immunity from timeout. Is that simple enough for even you to understand?
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 12:321 edit
    36 days a year is far too long anyway. I would vote for 10 days, which with normal TB and planning is enough for anyone.

Nb. I speak as a non tournament person and a non user of the monging vacation system.

If you can't move within 10 days+ you're either a liar, an abuser of the system or deserve to lose the game.
    [disclaimer: except in rare circumstances]
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 12:34
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    Thread 38806
    Thread 69229 I still haven't gotten either of those two recs you promised me, Dr. S. 😉
    I gave you 2 non sub recs as I was non-sub-scum in those days. 😀
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 13:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    We are talking about the current vacation system?
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I also ask you AGAIN, to explain how you can reconcile the decision, apparently supported by the majority, to award automatic timeouts in tourneys to speed their progress up

I'm unaware of this vote. Have you got a link?

Originally posted by Fabianfnas
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=13

D
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 13:38
    People don't express their preferences here just by votes as you well know. Your arguments in this thread are so intellectually dishonest it's pathetic.
    Oh right, threads can't be linked to anymore?

D
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 13:55

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 15:241 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It has made tournaments and clan matches into a seemingly never ending ordeal if one player chooses to delay. For example, this 3/7 tournament started on September 28, 2007 http://www.timeforchess.com/tournament/view.php?tid=2705

There is only one game remaining: http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=4731753

Naturally, one of the players is on "vacation". Just as naturally, he is continuing to move in most of his 50 games. But he insists on dragging out his one remaining game in the tourney.

It seems to me, that you're whinging about the length of the specified tournament. You incorrectly (what's new? ) assign the cause of this "seemingly never ending ordeal" to a player playing with vacation flag up. Unfortunately, when it is pointed out to you that his vacation flag hasn't delayed the aforementioned tournament one bit, instead of admitting the basis of your thread was completely incorrect, you decided to call me a liar. If that's your style, that's your style.

Luckily for everybody here, people can see that your whinging is completely off base by looking at the facts, ie: the linked player still has TB remaining, which he wouldn't if he was only using vacation to prolong the tournament.

Seeing as your position was based on incorrect data, the only logical presumption was that you are complaining about a tournament in which the player you initially linked to was using his time controls to the limit, making the tournament approach the round length ceiling which I provided in this thread. Vacation has nothing to do with it. The only logical conclusion seeing as you failed to admit your error, was and still is, that you are simply whinging about players using their preagreed allocated time, giving an above average tournament length.

My position on vacation has always been the same. Provide a simple solution which pleases both the majority of players on here (in providing the facility of upto 4 weeks timeout immunity from RHP) AND please the small minority of ratings rats and those who take the site too seriously in providing tournaments/games free of the timeout immunity facility.

You unfairly dismissed this solution as being beyond the ability of the admin, despite the fact you have often mentioned your computer illiteracy. Instead you prefer to go against the wishes of the majority in denying them the right to have 4 weeks away, unless I'm misunderstanding "Scrap the vacation system" OR, failing that, you wish to tell people that they can't play chess while on vacation, unless I'm misunderstaning "but if there is going to be a mandatory one at least forbid players from making moves in any games"

"Pretending that the rules at RHP will have some dramatic effect on how you use your holiday is typical, hysterical melodrama."

Why put words in my mouth? Any effect, even the most minor one, which influences what I can or can't do while on holiday is too much for a fun diversionary website to have. It's also ridiculous in the extreme for people in the business of attracting customers to generate advertising revenue to ban people from visiting their site, because of a couple of moaners who base their whinges on inaccurate data.

Over and out.

D
  10. Here
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 16:25
    [b]It has made tournaments and clan matches into a seemingly never ending ordeal if one player chooses to delay. For example, this 3/7 tournament started on September 28, 2007 http://www.timeforchess.com/tournament/view.php?tid=2705

There is only one game remaining: http://www.timeforchess.com/ga ...[text shortened]... of moaners who base their whinges on inaccurate data.

Over and out.

D
    Well put.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 19:12
    Screw it; keep the vacation system as ridiculous as it is. Along with so much else at RHP, it sucks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree