1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Apr '18 07:42
    Originally posted by @uzless
    You should be able to click on the thumbs up/down (or hover your mouse over it) to see who has rec'd the post.

It will be provide a little more accountability.
    This has been discussed before and turned down for good reasons. No need to rehash it.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Apr '18 08:421 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    As I said, I’ve not seen a decent argument against the OP. You are a classic example of the reasoning in my precious post.
    Your precious [sic] post? I do hope you meant "previous."

First, the feature is simply a code-copy of the 'like' feature common to many social networking sites.

Second, many posters wish to express something analogous to "hear, hear" or "bollocks!" without having to type out a detailed message of support or a rebuttal. Moreover, in some cases, the original post needs no further detail, any additional text would merely detract from its effect; a gesture of approval or disapproval is entirely sufficient. Anonymous TU or TD is perfectly suited to this purpose.

Third, anyone who wishes it known that he gave a TD or TU to a post can simply do what Rajk999 did and say so in another post. However, if everyone were to do so, it would clutter up threads with thousands of lines of redundant text; anonymous TU or TD expresses just what many posters want to express without clutter.

Fourth, the proposal would not add accountability. No one here is accountable anyway.

So, for the twenty-first time, can we drop this?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '18 13:40
    You thumbed down me so I'll thumb down you.

Probably not the best way to go if we want people to react to a post rather than the poster.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '18 21:571 edit
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Your precious [sic] post? I do hope you meant "previous."

First, the feature is simply a code-copy of the 'like' feature common to many social networking sites.

Second, many posters wish to express something analogous to "hear, hear" or "bollocks!" without having to type out a detailed message of support or a rebuttal. Moreover, in some cases, the ori ...[text shortened]... y. No one here is accountable anyway.

So, for the twenty-first time, can we drop this?
    You seem upset by other people wanting to discuss this topic.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 05:09
    You seem upset by other people wanting to discuss this topic.
    No, not upset. It's rather that uzless joined the site long before I did, and if he had been following the forums he would have known that the topic has been discussed many times before and that the same proposal was rejected every time.

Discuss all you want.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 12:46
    It wouldn’t need policing, people want to hide for a reason. Suzianne is the worst offender, she often turns up in a thread, takes a swipe at her detractors, thumbs all of their posts down irrespective of the content, thumbs up all the posts of the person she “likes and then disappears.

All this rhetoric from her about people being to scared to speak out is a smoke-screen. It’s interesting to observe.
    How on earth do you know this if rec system is anonymous? Or are you privy to info that we are not because you're a share holder?
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 13:55
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    How on earth do you know this if rec system is anonymous? Or are you privy to info that we are not because you're a share holder?
    Anonymous from each other.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 15:07
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    No, not upset. It's rather that uzless joined the site long before I did, and if he had been following the forums he would have known that the topic has been discussed many times before and that the same proposal was rejected every time.

Discuss all you want.
    Perhaps he hasn’t been following the forums and perhaps some topics are worth bringing up more regularly than others. I don’t see why you object, it’s hardly government parliamentary time is it.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 15:081 edit
    From each other.

Obviously the site admin can look at the clicks if they had sufficient time to waste.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 19:06
    From each other.

Obviously the site admin can look at the clicks if they had sufficient time to waste.
    I thumb down all of your posts sir, just so Suzianne gets the blame. 🙂
  11. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 23:39
    So have an 'anonymous' thumb that adds to the count (up or down) and another 'I endorse this message' thumb that lists you if you agree / disagree (depending on thumb direction)

When thumbing you could have a check box that opts in to adding your handle to the list. - thumb count might be 5, but you'd only see 2 or 3 names - only the ones who had ticked the box.

Those that want anonymity retain it ... those that feel strongly enough to publicly state the thumbiness (yes, that's a word - or is now) of whatever - get to state it - without having to resort to those inane posts that only state "Yeah - I thumbed that up/down!!*"

The non-anonymous thumb (for me) weighs heavier than the anonymous one.

I'd also like the recommended pages to sort by forum - what do I care who gives a flying what in the whatever forum? But that's probably another site idea ....
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 07:12
    From each other.

Are you site admin?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 12:141 edit
    Are you site admin?
    He never claimed to be. Why have you appeared in this thread simply to misunderstand everything?!

1. Currently, thumbs up or down are anonymous to all site users. - Fact.
    2. Admin (which no one here has claimed to be) are exceptions to the above, by virtue of being admin. (We assume).
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '18 02:21
    Originally posted by @orangutan
    So have an 'anonymous' thumb that adds to the count (up or down) and another 'I endorse this message' thumb that lists you if you agree / disagree (depending on thumb direction)

When thumbing you could have a check box that opts in to adding your handle to the list. - thumb count might be 5, but you'd only see 2 or 3 names - only the ones who had tick ...[text shortened]... I care who gives a flying what in the whatever forum? But that's probably another site idea ....
    Why don't we insist on a lot of other things just to make Russ' life a lot more difficult than it already is?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '18 02:24
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I thumb down all of your posts sir, just so Suzianne gets the blame. 🙂
    I appreciate your demonstration of 'the voice of reason'. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree