1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 17:01
    Originally posted by noxidjkram
    No - right.
    Wrong.
    Ads are for non-subscribers who use Internet Explorer.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Jul '06 19:13
    But by blocking ads, you are fraudulently using the site.

They may not make much, but they make something, and you are taking for free by blocking them.

-Russ
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Jul '06 19:18
    Originally posted by MCA
    when i click the "skip this game.." link and it takes me to the advert page, clicking "continue to game" takes me back to the game i tried to skip. previously doing this would take me on to the next game.

can this be changed back please?
    This is obviously a bug in need of a fix - I will add this to the to-do list.

-Russ
  4. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 23:511 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is obviously a bug in need of a fix - I will add this to the to-do list.

-Russ
    thank you muchly russ

your a star ... in fact your the no1 of all stars (at least on this site 😉 )

User 1
  5. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 00:11
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Every time you open your mouth, you confirm how stupid you are - moron.
    I have not complained about the facilities offered here - on the contrary it is you doing all the whining because you don't want non-subscribers on this site.
    If that was YOUR "something constructive", it's time for you to shove off.

You really are an idiot.

Is this your contribution to the betterment of this site?
    Thread 45865
    The reply of an adult. And check your facts before opening your piehole. I don't mind non-subs on the site, but I do resent that there are all of these posts asking for more and trying to find ways of sabotaging Russ's work (ala ad blocking).

As for the thread, it is pretty funny actually. Thanks for noticing. And I don't think anyone else minds. And again, thanks for the advert.

And check your post "03 Jul '06 05:59 :: 0 recommendations" in Thread 46653. Hmmm... do I hear hypocrasy?
  6. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 00:11
    Originally posted by MCA
    thank you muchly russ

your a star ... in fact your the no1 of all stars (at least on this site 😉 )

User 1
    Russ you do rock.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:24
    Originally posted by Russ
    But by blocking ads, you are fraudulently using the site.

They may not make much, but they make something, and you are taking for free by blocking them.

-Russ
    But don't the advertisers themselves realise the futility of advertising to the people least likely to be persuaded by their ads ie, people who can't afford to subscribe?

Also, is it a bannable offence to block adverts? And how would you know?
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:45
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Hmmm... do I hear hypocrasy?
    Dunno but you certainly can't spell it.
  9. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 06:59
    Originally posted by Gastel
    I don't mind non-subs on the site.

And you could prove it by rec'n all my posts.😉
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 23:54
    But don't the advertisers themselves realise the futility of advertising to the people least likely to be persuaded by their ads ie, people who can't afford to subscribe?

Well he knows you block them. So he could just ban you.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 00:58
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Well he knows you block them. So he could just ban you.
    He could ban me if he didn't like my name too - in fact he could ban me for no reason if he so desired.

Would you say it was similar to turning off the adverts between tv programs - there are a few big court cases in progress concerning the skipping of tv ads.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 01:30
    He could ban me if he didn't like my name too - in fact he could ban me for no reason if he so desired.

Would you say it was similar to turning off the adverts between tv programs - there are a few big court cases in progress concerning the skipping of tv ads.
    No it's not the same as turning off ads in TV programs.

Also, have you stopped blocking the ads yet?
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 04:371 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    No it's not the same as turning off ads in TV programs.

Also, have you stopped blocking the ads yet?
    Like I said, there is a huge court case going on regarding this subject. The ad people are losing so far.

As to your sneaky question;
    Unfortunately I am not in a position to answer it........so, no comment.
  14. Subscribernoxidjkram
    Data Warehouser
    Back in the UK!
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 19:131 edit

You are making a massive assumption - that people who don't subscribe cannot afford to.

I suspect that in most cases this in not the reason.

Advertising does work for this site for at least two reasons:

1) People get sick of it and subscribe
    2) People click on things of interest

It is irrelevant whether the advertisers realise the supposed futility or not - Russ gets income from outgoing traffic to their sites, and hence in some way non-subs pay for their use of the site...

And it obviously isn't a bannable offence to block adverts, otherwise because of your own admission, you would have been banned by now.

M
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 19:48
    Originally posted by noxidjkram
    You are making a massive assumption - that people who don't subscribe cannot afford to. I suspect that in most cases this in not the reason. No. But some people don't subscribe because they either can't afford to or they do not require the extras.

2) People click on things of interest.

Maybe they do, but I don't really think many, if any, click on them through interest. Much better to do a google search for what they want.

It is irrelevant whether the advertisers realise the supposed futility or not - Russ gets income from outgoing traffic to their sites, and hence in some way non-subs pay for their use of the site...

If non-subs "in some way" pay for their use of the site, why do some subscribers moan about them being freeloaders etc etc etc.? Is it because it's not in actual money or what?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree