1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 09:35
    @moonbus said
    Tally the thumbs given to posts in this thread and draw your own conclusion. I have not given thumbs to any posts in this thread; any thumbs you see here are from other posters giving their ‘yays’ and ‘nays’ and that is a valid measure of approval or disapproval.
    Tally the thumbs given to posts in this thread and draw your own conclusion.

My conclusion is that there is a tiny number of thumbs. To you, it's "a valid measure"? I am surprised.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 09:46
    @fmf said
    Tally the thumbs given to posts in this thread and draw your own conclusion.

My conclusion is that there is a tiny number of thumbs. To you, it's "a valid measure"? I am surprised.
    So set up a poll.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 09:55
    @moonbus said
    So set up a poll.
    What would be the quorum?

You were citing 1 or 2, or 3 or 4 thumbs as being a "valid measure" a moment ago. If 6 or so people enter a poll, will that establish, for you, that "the majority of users want thumbs to remain anonymous"?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 10:15
    I once asked the neo-fascist Philokalia a straightforward question about slavery.

I got three thumbs down for my question [as did other posts by me].

One was probably given by him. Another by SecondSon, most likely. And the third one was probably given by Suzianne.

He then said words to the effect of ...look, FMF, you're getting thumbed down by members of the community, you should really mend your ways and try to fit in... and off he went without answering the question.

Did Philokalia have a valid point?

I mean, I seem to remember having three thumbs down for about 15 posts in a row.

What did all that red-coloured 'data' on the PC screen mean?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 12:17
    @fmf said
    What would be the quorum?

You were citing 1 or 2, or 3 or 4 thumbs as being a "valid measure" a moment ago. If 6 or so people enter a poll, will that establish, for you, that "the majority of users want thumbs to remain anonymous"?
    You see number of people who participate in a poll. Only about 30 people or so frequently post to the forums, compared to thousands who just play chess at RHP and don’t post. If ten vote in a poll, that tells the other 20 don’t care enough about an issue to bother. There’s your quorum.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 12:27
    @moonbus said
    You see number of people who participate in a poll. Only about 30 people or so frequently post to the forums, compared to thousands who just play chess at RHP and don’t post. If ten vote in a poll, that tells the other 20 don’t care enough about an issue to bother. There’s your quorum.
    You are the one who asserted that tallying the thumbs given to posts in this thread, for example, would give me data from which to draw my own conclusion.

You seem to cite a handful of thumbs-down given to people on earlier threads where the topic was raised and you appear to be wanting me to believe it is a "valid measurement".

So I will leave the mickey mouse vox pop to you.

Instead, I will continue to lobby the website to get rid of this most infantile feature altogether or make it more adult.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 13:15
    @FMF

What’s your complaint ?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 13:16
    @moonbus said
    @FMF

What’s your complaint ?
    About what?
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 14:04
    @fmf said
    About what?
    Thumbs.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 14:41

Would you prefer

63% Automatic identification who thumbs
    13% Optional ID who thumbs
    25% Anonymous (as now)
    0% No strong opinion on the matter
    8 votes • Final results
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 15:17
    @moonbus said
    Thumbs.
    I pretty much agree with KellyJay.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 15:201 edit
    @moonbus said
    @FMF

What’s your complaint ?
    Anonymous thumbs down seem infantile to me. I remember Indonesia Phil getting seven anonymous thumbs down for a post about making a radio programme on his move from the UK. Infantile. Craven. Even a wee bit creepy.

Are we not adults? Look at the Philokalia example. His childish extrapolation and bizarre call for conformity, triggered by a tiny number of anonymous thumbs. Ludicrous.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '22 16:413 edits
    @moonbus said
    Tally the thumbs given to posts in this thread and draw your own conclusion. I have not given thumbs to any posts in this thread; any thumbs you see here are from other posters giving their ‘yays’ and ‘nays’ and that is a valid measure of approval or disapproval. If you doubt that, set up a poll here.
    If it’s a setting that can reveal or not then everyone gets the chance to do what they will each time they desire to. Having to type in I approve of this post seems to defeat the purpose of the thumbs up or down altogether!

The last time the setting was changed could posted to for those who want to pretend they were never doing it.

I think that would be a nice compromise!
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 16:58
    @kellyjay said

The last time the setting was changed could posted to for those who want to pretend they were never doing it.
    I don’t understand this sentence. Please reformulate.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '22 18:541 edit
    @moonbus said
    I don’t understand this sentence. Please reformulate.
    If it is a setting every time is gets altered a time stamp goes next to it. So those that set it to anonymous and those that set it to reveal can say my status never changed. This will help stop those playing both sides of the fence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree