1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 15:39
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Please listen and I'll explain this for the 1000th time and real slow so you can get it. If "atri" had dropped his flag he would have lost the hundreds of games that he had already exceeded the time limit in without even moving (in most of them.) So all those players and tournaments that he had been holding up by his irresponsible behavior would not have ...[text shortened]... tried to play some games and not subject more players to fruitless waiting. Do you get this?
    Player waits till vacation time over. Times out on 100 games and then joins the 30 open tournaments available to him.

All you have is a timing difference Your proposal will punish people who play their games out, but access their account while on holiday and find that there is a tournament they fancy entering.

By the time they came of vacation the tournament may have filled up.
  2. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 21:531 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Player waits till vacation time over. Times out on 100 games and then joins the 30 open tournaments available to him.

All you have is a timing difference Your proposal will punish people who play their games out, but access their account while on holiday and find that there is a tournament they fancy entering.

By the time they came of vacation the tournament may have filled up.
    "Player waits till vacation time over. Times out on 100 games" and those players he was holding hostage with no intent of playing breathe a great sigh of relief.

Again, I am not trying to stop people from entering tournaments. Enter hundreds of tournaments. Play 1000s of games. Just do it on your own time - don't hold up other players with meaningless games that you have no intention of playing just so you can reach some exalted plateau of games in progress.

I have never had anyone explain to me why it is so critical that you be able enter a tournament while on vacation. Most tournaments I've seen take some time to fill anyway. If you're here to play chess and not just book games you won't play then why is it important to enter specific tournaments? I just pick one that's open and looks close to starting. What would happen if you failed to enter a tourney? Would you cry? Who cares?
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 12:00
    I have never had anyone explain to me why it is so critical that you be able enter a tournament while on vacation. Most tournaments I've seen take some time to fill anyway.
    So why are you so worried about it when a player may only have 3 days vacation left and the tournament he enters might noit start for another 5 days?

🙄
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Mar '10 22:17
    Originally posted by adramforall
    So why are you so worried about it when a player may only have 3 days vacation left and the tournament he enters might noit start for another 5 days?

🙄
    I'm talking about easily preventing abuse. You're talking about retaining the right to abuse others just so you are not inconvenienced. It must be proud moment for you.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 12:23
    I'm talking about easily preventing abuse. You're talking about retaining the right to abuse others just so you are not inconvenienced. It must be proud moment for you.
    What abuse? I am talking about the right of all players to enter a tournament while on vacation, you are talking about taking this right away from all players because a few have taken on extra games while on holiday while in some of their games they are ready to be timed out.

How many players have actually "abused" this? 2, 3, 10?

How many players on the site? Over 18,000 players have made at least 18 moves this month.

So if we assume even 100 had "abused" the system we are looking at less than 0.6% of active players.

Not exactly a massive problem. As I said before a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree