1. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 05:12
    For transparancy sake, I suggest that all players' vacation days that are remaining be visible.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 08:58
    Originally posted by Phillidor284
    For transparancy sake, I suggest that all players' vacation days that are remaining be visible.
    Why?

How will seeing that Player A, who is currently on holiday has 18 days vacation time remaining help?

People on vacation frequently move anyway, so seeing how much time is left is meaningless.

😕
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 16:29
    I like the idea. It doesn't matter that the information seems unimportant. It only matters that we can see that a player only has 3 days of vacation left, so then we can anticipate play resuming soon. I get the point that it's not really important information, but I don't see why it should be "private" either. What's the point in that?
  4. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:09
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Why?

How will seeing that Player A, who is currently on holiday has 18 days vacation time remaining help?

People on vacation frequently move anyway, so seeing how much time is left is meaningless.

😕
    For one thing, being on vacation can prevent a timeout in a tournament game. If a player can see that his/her opponent only has 1 day of vacation remaining that player can be ready to claim a timeout when the vacation expires.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:12
    If my vacation info gets public, I'll simply book all available time every time I want some vacation. When I'm back simply de-book (proper English?) the remaining un-neccessary days.
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '03
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:27
    I suggest simply number of days of vacation time remaining.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 15:08
    I suggest simply number of days of vacation time remaining.
    I suggest it's done away with completely......😞
  8. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    19 May '09 17:09
    Why?

😕
    Save us all guessing in cases like atri.We all want the skulls earlier while he stil has a rating reflective of what we staked if we lost to him.
    Those left with games with him with long timeouts will be in mismatched games.They risking more points if they lose than they should gain if they win.After the mass cull he will get easy points quickly to get his rating back to reflect his true ability.This at the expense of honest players.Why should honest players pay the price of someone else's stunt?
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 May '09 19:38
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I suggest it's done away with completely......😞
    i'm currently using my vacation time in memory of you doc, and guess what. i'm not on holiday, in fact i've been posting more in the forums over the last couple of days that i have done in the past month. using the flag at it's finest point i say. think i'll book another week, really can't be bothered to move.
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    24 May '09 19:33
    Originally posted by jb70
    Save us all guessing in cases like atri.We all want the skulls earlier while he stil has a rating reflective of what we staked if we lost to him.
    Those left with games with him with long timeouts will be in mismatched games.They risking more points if they lose than they should gain if they win.After the mass cull he will get easy points quickly to get his rat ...[text shortened]... the expense of honest players.Why should honest players pay the price of someone else's stunt?
    I still don't get this.

The skulls will appear when the time runs out.

Lets say he has 200 games that skull over night while you are asleep. 50% of these game involve players who are awake at the time and they skull the games immediately.

By the time you wake up and get online his rating could have dropped 200 points or more, so how does knowing in advance how many days vacation they have help?

Stunt or not, the site allows you to start as many games as you want and move as often or as little as you want.

What will it be next, forcing people to move in their 3/7 or 14/14 games a bit faster because their opponent made their move after only 1 or 2 days?
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 May '09 20:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If my vacation info gets public, I'll simply book all available time every time I want some vacation. When I'm back simply de-book (proper English?) the remaining un-neccessary days.
    I think that they are just asking to see how much vacation you have left total not what you have booked. If so, why should this be a big secret? In fact, why should your planned return be a secret? Are you running from the law? I would rather have some of my horrible play hidden than when I was vacationing!
  12. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 May '09 09:30
    So are you talking about "current vacation" or about absolute values.

I like the idea to see how many days a person has left regardless of the current vacation status.
  13. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    25 May '09 13:15
    Originally posted by jb70
    Those left with games with him with long timeouts will be in mismatched games.They risking more points if they lose than they should gain if they win.After the mass cull he will get easy points quickly to get his rat ...[text shortened]... the expense of honest players.Why should honest players pay the price of someone else's stunt?
    How about an auto-skull feature in your preferences? If you've clicked that, then the instant a skull shows up in an opponent's game, the system claims it for you. The way it is now, you have to be online to see the skull and claim it.

I don't care how many vacation days he has left if the system will claim the skull for me the moment it shows.
  14. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    25 May '09 13:21
    I still don't get this.
    What will it be next, forcing people to move in their 3/7 or 14/14 games a bit faster because their opponent made their move after only 1 or 2 days?
    Just curious, do you function using any motif other than hyperbole?

Your arguments against all amount to "We couldn't possibly make any improvements to the site because then <<insert wild exaggeration here>>."

Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating to watch. Shrill, but fascinating.
  15. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 May '09 15:37
    Originally posted by sbacat
    Just curious, do you function using any motif other than hyperbole?

Your arguments [b]against
    all amount to "We couldn't possibly make any improvements to the site because then <<insert wild exaggeration here>>."

Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating to watch. Shrill, but fascinating.[/b]
    Many would say I don't function at all.

I am not against site improvements, I just don't see how knowing how much vacation time your opponent has left makes any difference.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree