1. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 20:36
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I'm pretty certain that ALL non-subs will NEVER subscribe here.

Good to see you have acknowledged that there are inequalities.
    That's progress. 🙂
    Your statement is true but if you were the site owner why would you go out of your way to give equality o non-subs ?
    The sole purpose behind allowing non-subs to play is a taster with a view o subscribe. Given that is true then a different solution :
    A non-sub account is terminated after 3 months unless they subscribe. However during the 3 month trial they are given 100% use of all facilities including clans & vaccation system.
    When a non-sub does not subscribe then that IP address is blocked. They may get use of other IP addresses but would soon run out.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 21:131 edit
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Your statement is true but if you were the site owner why would you go out of your way to give equality o non-subs ?
    The sole purpose behind allowing non-subs to play is a taster with a view o subscribe. Given that is true then a different solution :
    A non-sub account is terminated after 3 months unless they subscribe. However during the 3 month trial they ...[text shortened]... then that IP address is blocked. They may get use of other IP addresses but would soon run out.
    I don't have a solution myself.

Put it like this though - thousands of non subs getting ads has to be of some value to the owners.

I was told a while ago by the PTB that whilst it makes "good business sense" free limited accounts will continue.

edit: I'm not saying non-subs should get the same benefits as subs - of course not.
    I don't believe it should be possible to start games unequally - that's all. [unless agreed beforehand]
  3. Joined
    29 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 22:481 edit
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    A non-sub account is terminated after 3 months unless they subscribe. However during the 3 month trial they ...[text shortened]... then that IP address is blocked. They may get use of other IP addresses but would soon run out.
    First off, blocking the IP would block whoever the next person to get that IP is, or anyone who works at the same business as them (if playing from work), I can literally change my IP 30 times a day if I choose to, just by unplugging my router, this would only affect people with static IP's, which from my understanding is mainly only people on ATT DSL or people who pay extra for them (businesses and such). That being said, I don't think you subscribers realize that allowing non-subscribers adds to the number of people you can play against on the site, thus adding value to your subscription. Also, if you killed the account of anyone here over 3 months, that would result in a load of timeout wins for the subs playing them adding unnecessarily to their rating, even when the other player was willing to finish the game. I don't have the slightest problem with the vacation system only working for subscribers, I wouldn't use it anyway, but when a subscriber is on vacation, they should not be allowed to timeout the other player, if the other player cannot timeout them. It's that simple. I don't know why we need an elaborate fix of changing who can use the system, or stopping games on vacation. Simply adding timeout immunity to both players on a game where, where one player is currently on vacation would completely even out the system and still give subscribers the extra features that they pay for.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree