1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 21:331 edit
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    carry that logic further, and you can't justify ANY benefit for being a member - like not seeing the adds and oh, tournaments and unlimited games and so on. And if there's no benefit, why would anybody pay sub fees?
    BUT
    those other things have no direct effect on the game being played.

Nobody has mentioned the ads, tournaments, and unlimited games being unfair.

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!111111
    Try and pay attention. 🙄

ps.everyone who plays here is a "member".
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 22:20
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I reckon, to be fair, the vacation system shouldn't be available in any games where non-subs are playing.
    For example: it should be an [b]equal terms
    game at all times.
    [unlike the grossly one-sided rules at present]

I seriously don't understand why someone who pays money should get a bigger timebank - no way can anyone justifiably say they "deserve" it..[/b]
    i quite agree with this and rec this post - if a non-sub is playing an opponent on vacation then it just takes one of those slots away
  3. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 23:17
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    i think vacation should only be appliable in tournies/clan matches/clan leagues where the outcome is more important than just rating points

also if you are not allowed to move during vacation then you will be mass timeouted as soon as the flag drops - on the page it says "in games of risk of timeout move before your vacation ends"
    You have just classed all my games as worthy of vaccation time.
  4. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 23:20
    i quite agree with this and rec this post - if a non-sub is playing an opponent on vacation then it just takes one of those slots away
    Simply answer then to even up the fairness - make it so subs & non subs can only play unrated games against each other or better still they they can't play each other.
  5. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 08:35
    BUT
    those other things have no direct effect on the game being played.

Nobody has mentioned the ads, tournaments, and unlimited games being unfair.

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!111111
    Try and pay attention. 🙄

ps.everyone who plays here is a "member".
    you're the one who needs to pay attention mate. my point was that one of the benefits that paying a sub brings you is the vacation flag facility. paying your sub fees is what makes you 'deserve' it, just as it makes you 'deserve' not seeing ads, playing unlimited simultaneous games, playing tournaments etc.

all this talk of 'fairness' is crap - RHP is a commercial enterprise. the site owners are being unbelievably charitable as it is, in allowing people to freeload indefinitely. or rather, we the paying member are, in that we subsidise the server costs incurred by the large number of people playing for free.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 08:43
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Simply answer then to even up the fairness - make it so subs & non subs can only play unrated games against each other or better still they they can't play each other.
    Good idea......I've been proposing that to non-subs since the new vacation system came in.
    Play only other non-subs unless you:
    1. can trust your opponent, or
    2. are prepared to play at a disadvantage

🙂
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 08:591 edit
    you're the one who needs to pay attention mate. my point was that one of the benefits that paying a sub brings you is the vacation flag facility. paying your sub fees is what makes you 'deserve' it, just as it makes you 'deserve' not seeing ads, playing unlimited simultaneous games, playing tournaments etc.

all this talk of 'fairness' is crap - RHP is a ...[text shortened]... at we subsidise the server costs incurred by the large number of people playing for free.
    You obviously have no clue what you're on about.
    This thread is about the vacation system - not the advantages of subscribing which most people already know.

Paying for a subscription gives the person many fair advantages as mentioned - however to say it's perfectly fair for a subscriber to have a longer timebank than his non-sub opponent is absolutely ridiculous!

Are you saying that you became a subscriber so that you would have a longer timebank than your opponent?

Paying your subscription is HOW you get extra timebank but it doesn't explain WHY a subscriber supposedly "deserves" it.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

nb. If it didn't make good business sense to offer limited free accounts, it would be stopped.
  8. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 09:54
    also if you are not allowed to move during vacation then you will be mass timeouted as soon as the flag drops - on the page it says "in games of risk of timeout move before your vacation ends"
    The point was that you are allowed to enter your move into the system, but that it is not yet actioned.

You get to put all your moves in before vacation ends, and then at a stroke, as the vacation flag falls, all your entered moves are actioned at once. Then it is your opponent's move, so you cannot be timeoutted.

It would be fair to non-subs, except that it blocks up a game slot. But there is no artificial moving while on vacation, and the possibility to have 1 millions games running is of limited interest, since they don't progress.
  9. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 10:03
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    We all take holidays, we all run the risk of being timed out because of it. Vaccation days take care of that.
    If I was running the site then personally I would widen the gap between subs & non subs on all fronts. At present other than clans and vaccation system a non sub is more prone to open multiple accounts thereby achieving volume of games required etc.
    I'd try to keep the game rules the same.

Having vacation for non-subs might be a solution, even if it is only in their games against subs. The way the current vacation system is set up gives subs an advantage.

I compare it to a tournament where "platinum premium" players get an extra hour on the clock. I am quite happy to know that GM's do not pay an entry fee to some tournaments, as they are an attraction to the rest of us, but they play under the same conditions as everyone else. In the tournaments I have played in, the top few boards in the tournament get a special table with more space. But independent of whether the players are GMs or not.
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 10:09

nb. If it didn't make good business sense to offer limited free accounts, it would be stopped.
    There are a massive number of non-subs on the site. This is an attraction.
    That anyone can post in the forums is an attraction.

It would be great if everyone subscribed, to support the site. But that seems unlikely.
    So to me, that subs get extra features is great. A good example is http://mobile.redhotpawn.com/
    But keep it to things which do not affect the game.
  11. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 07:102 edits
    You obviously have no clue what you're on about.
    This thread is about the vacation system - not the advantages of subscribing which most people already know.

Paying for a subscription gives the person many fair advantages as mentioned - however to say it's perfectly fair for a subscriber to have a longer timebank than his non-sub opponent is absol If it didn't make good business sense to offer limited free accounts, it would be stopped.
    by your logic, if it made good business sense to make any change at all, it would already have been made. e.g. 'if it made good business sense to give vacation flags to non-subs, they would already have them'. ridiculous!

i AM making a point about the vacation system - you just need to learn to read a bit better. the point is: don't give non-subs vacation flags - keep it as one of the attractions of subscribing.

as a non-sub, you are clearly tryng to get this changed from mere self-interest. that's why you lack credibility.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 12:51
    by your logic, if it made good business sense to make any change at all, it would already have been made. e.g. 'if it made good business sense to give vacation flags to non-subs, they would already have them'. ridiculous!

i AM making a point about the vacation system - you just need to learn to read a bit better. the point is: don't give non-subs vacatio ...[text shortened]... clearly tryng to get this changed from mere self-interest. that's why you lack credibility.
    Like I said once and you continue to prove; you obviously don't know what you're on about!

I have no wish as a non sub to have use of the vacation system - in fact for the recent year when I was a subscribed member I didn't use it once.

The simple fact [that even you should be able to see] is that it gives an advantage to one player in a sub v non-sub game. However small the advantage - it is an advantage that should never exist. Games should always start on equal terms unless agreed beforehand.
    I've never heard of a "normal" OTB game being played with different time allowances.

Many people wouldn't play under those conditions.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 19:21
    However small the advantage - it is an advantage that should never exist. Games should always start on equal terms unless agreed beforehand.
    I've never heard of a "normal" OTB game being played with different time allowances.

Many people wouldn't play under those conditions.
    I've played while drunk while my opponent was sober as a judge.

I chose to play a fun game at a disadvantage. Like non-subs, it is my choice if I wish to play non-competitive games at a disadvantage.

D
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 19:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    (1) When one player in a game is on vacation, he has immunity of being time out. I think the other player in the same game should have immunity too. In fairness.
    That's a ludicrous suggestion.

We all (subs) have 35 days or so of TO immunity to use how we please. If we feel that our opponent is at an unfair advantage, we are free to use some days if we think we are in danger of TOing. If we have already used our alloted time, then tough!

What we definitely don't need is people having the equivalent of 70 days of vacation per annum.

D
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 19:35
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I've played while drunk while my opponent was sober as a judge.

I chose to play a fun game at a disadvantage. Like non-subs, it is my choice if I wish to play non-competitive games at a disadvantage.

D
    If you agree to it then I see no objection.

I've also played drunk [well, half drunk] while my opponent was sober but I knew that from the start and accepted it.
    Whereas here we have no choice.
    [don't bother saying "you have the choice to subscribe" - we shouldn't be forced to subscribe for fair play]

I don't care about the different timebanks for subs and non-subs etc but I object to people CLAIMING it's FAIR.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree