1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 23:183 edits
    Ok I"m sure we've had about a million threads about this but I think it's kinda wierd that subscribers are allowed to go on vacation and nonsubs can't. That takes the fairness out of the game. Next subs will be given twice as long to move in games vs. non subs... Or perhaps nonsubs lose more rating points? Or why don't we make it that when playing nonsubs, subs get to move first whether they play black or white. Heck, why don't we even let subs use engines.

Anyways my point is that allowing subs to go on vacation (extending their timebank) is unfair. They pay for tournaments and seiges and more games, not higher chances of winning. Add the vacation system to nonsubs!
  2. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 23:42
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Ok I"m sure we've had about a million threads about this but I think it's kinda wierd that subscribers are allowed to go on vacation and nonsubs can't. That takes the fairness out of the game. Next subs will be given twice as long to move in games vs. non subs... Or perhaps nonsubs lose more rating points? Or why don't we make it that when playing nonsub ...[text shortened]... seiges and more games, not higher chances of winning. Add the vacation system to nonsubs!
    Let me explain the fairness of this situation with a Nasreddin Hodja Joke.

So, all the village boys wanted a flute and asked Nasreddin Hodja who was going to city. 'Hodja, please buy us a flute for us in the city' but nobody gave any money to him. However, Nasreddin Hodja answered. "Of course, I will bring flutes for everyone."

When Hodja was headed to the city market only one kid gave him money for the flute. 'Hodja, please buy me a flute for me with this money.'

Anyway, Hodja comes back from the city market in the evening and of course everyone waited for him and they all gathered around Nasreddin Hodja asking for their flutes but he only gave the flute to only that kid who gave Hodja the money when he was heading to the city market. In surpise tho hodja's behavious, all the village kids scream:

'Hodja!, hodja!, where are our flutes?'

Hodja's aswer was very short but meaningful:

'Who gives the money will play the flute'
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 23:484 edits
    Originally posted by kenan
    Let me explain the fairness of this situation with a Nasreddin Hodja Joke.

So, all the village boys wanted a flute and asked Nasreddin Hodja who was going to city. 'Hodja, please buy us a flute for us in the city' but nobody gave any money to him. However, Nasreddin Hodja answered. "Of course, I will bring flutes for everyone."

When Hodja was headed to t 's aswer was very short but meaningful:

'Who gives the money will play the flute'
    Now, there's a Turkish saying: "Parayi veren düdügü calar." for these people who want a lot of stuff but they do not pay.

So do not get frustrated when 99.8 percent of the subscribers tell you: "Hey, why do not you subscribe then, it's only 30 bucks a year and you get much more back for the money"

😉

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Turkish proverb: Parayi veren düdügü calar.
    Literal translation: Who gives the money will play the flute.
    Meaning: There is no free lunch.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 23:51
    you were right about this being discussed several times before. i had begun a thread myself not so long ago and it has been extensively discussed. please take a look back at past threads to see all the comments before being disappointed.

anyway, i figure that while we are making the playing field uneven, i suggest that subs pawns are allowed to move three spaces on the first move and two spaces thereafter, and subs should have two moves for every non-sub
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 02:00
    I definitely understand how some use the vacation system to give them an unfair advantage.

However, I find it to be a great feature for when you actually do have reason to not be able to make moves on a regular basis (i.e. you essentially are on vacation).

Maybe make it so non-subs get 5 days of vacation per year, while subs get what they get now? I don't know.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 02:361 edit
    To make it a fair game, the vacation system should not be allowed to be used when playing other people who can't use it. As I've been saying ever since it was started.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My policy:
    Only play non-subs, and subscribers who you know you can trust.
    Agree before the game for when and if they intend to extend their timebank.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know why they can't have an option to turn off vacations in games before they start - no one would be forced to accept games like that then.

A game of chess is not a fair game when one side has 36 days timebank more than the other, regardless of whether they use it.
    😞😞
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 03:00
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    To make it a fair game, the vacation system should not be allowed to be used when playing other people who can't use it. As I've been saying ever since it was started.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My policy:
    Only play non-subs, and subscribers who you know you can trust.
    Agree before the game for when ...[text shortened]... one side has 36 days timebank more than the other, regardless of whether they use it.
    😞😞
    Primarily, I think they don't allow you to turn it off for games because that would be depriving people of a feature they paid for.

Also, no one is forcing you to play any games with anyone who uses vacation - as you said, you just have a policy to play only non-subscribers.

I wouldn't have a problem with a concealed move system as some like coquette have suggested, where you can't see the last move in a game until you come out of vacation - except in those situations your timebank and timeout time shouldn't deplete when you are on vacation then.
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 04:19
    the main reason they don't do sealed moves . .i think . .is that the programming is a lot more complicated than it seems like it would be to a non-techie like me . .otherwise it makes a whole lot of sense
  9. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 08:58
    This dude has been gone for over a month now Game 3126663

I do soooo feel like timing him out 😲🙄😞

i'm bad i know 😞
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 09:03
    Originally posted by hAnimate
    This dude has been gone for over a month now Game 3126663

I do soooo feel like timing him out 😲🙄😞

i'm bad i know 😞
    Why don't you time him out?
    And why are you feeling so bad about it?
  11. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 09:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why don't you time him out?
    And why are you feeling so bad about it?
    He's on vacation! d'oh
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 09:23
    Originally posted by hAnimate
    He's on vacation! d'oh
    Ah, but then you cannot time him out even if you want. He's immune from timeouts.
  13. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 09:26
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Ah, but then you cannot time him out even if you want. He's immune from timeouts.
    right. what was the point again? I lost my thread
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 10:30
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Ok I"m sure we've had about a million threads about this but I think it's kinda wierd that subscribers are allowed to go on vacation and nonsubs can't. That takes the fairness out of the game. Next subs will be given twice as long to move in games vs. non subs... Or perhaps nonsubs lose more rating points? Or why don't we make it that when playing nonsub ...[text shortened]... seiges and more games, not higher chances of winning. Add the vacation system to nonsubs!
    The game is always fair when you accept the terms from the start.

You only have the right to complain about ongoing games when the vacation system changed. For all the rest, you accepted those terms.
  15. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 10:43
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The game is always fair when you accept the terms from the start.

You only have the right to complain about ongoing games when the vacation system changed. For all the rest, you accepted those terms.
    excuse me but that is just stupid. Simply because something was there before we got a say in it doesn't make that we agreed in putting it there. Do you always agree with your parents? Or did you ever always - blah

The vacation system is unfair.
    This game deserves to be timed out as Tequila has not moved for a month: Game 3126663

That is the point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree