1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 10:59
    Originally posted by hAnimate
    The vacation system is unfair.
    That is the point.
    Agree. But is the same unfair for anyone. That's fair. 🙄

I don't like the vacation system as it is. But it is better now than before the last revision. What I really want implemented is a concept of sealed moves, but there are numerous postings about that already so I don't go further with that here.

This player Tequila is on vacation in Europe and whant to have a pause fom RHP for a while. That's fair. If he had to quit tall his games altogether, that wouldn't be fair. Nor for him, and not for his opponents he already won against in his tournaments.

Wait another week and see what happens. When his vacation period is finished you have your opportunity to time him out and win the game.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 11:101 edit
    excuse me but that is just stupid. Simply because something was there before we got a say in it doesn't make that we agreed in putting it there. Do you always agree with your parents? Or did you ever always - blah

The vacation system is unfair.
    This game deserves to be timed out as Tequila has not moved for a month: Game 3126663

That is the point.
    Of course it's fair.

If a non-sub accepts a game against a sub he's agreeing with the difference in vacation possibilities. If he feels so strongly about that difference, he should just play non-subs. There is nothing unfair about playing a game under the mutually accepted conditions.

If you want to argue that non-subs also would like vacation time, then by all means do. Just don't babble about "fairness" when the conditions were accepted from the start.
  3. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 11:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Wait another week and see what happens. When his vacation period is finished you have your opportunity to time him out and win the game.

And I will. I will even resign from the other game, because he is clearly winning that one.

Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Agree. But is the same unfair for anyone. That's fair. 🙄

That is another point, I guess 😳
    Fair enough 😉
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 12:40
    Originally posted by Palynka
    There is nothing unfair about playing a game under the mutually accepted conditions.

If you want to argue that non-subs also would like vacation time, then by all means do. Just don't babble about "fairness" when the conditions were accepted from the start.
    Nope, it just means a non-sub has accepted [in many cases, unwittingly] to play a one-sided game. No matter what disguise you put on it, it is still an unfair game.

As a non subscriber, I hope they don't make the system available to non-subs.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 12:50
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Nope, it just means a non-sub has accepted [in many cases, unwittingly] to play a one-sided game. No matter what disguise you put on it, it is still an unfair game.

As a non subscriber, I hope they don't make the system available to non-subs.
    Why is choosing to start a game with a handicap unfair?
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 13:441 edit
    Why is choosing to start a game with a handicap unfair?
    Choosing to play a game under unfair conditions doesn't actually make the game itself fair does it?

In many cases the vacation is sprung on people out of the blue - that is the grossly unfair part of it. 😠
  7. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 14:19
    Choosing to play a game under unfair conditions doesn't actually make the [b]game itself fair does it?

In many cases the vacation is sprung on people out of the blue - that is the grossly unfair part of it. 😠[/b]
    I agree there are two different issues.

non subs have the choice to even up the vacation difference by subscribing so there's nothing essentially unfair in that.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 14:30

non subs have the choice to even up the vacation difference by subscribing so there's nothing essentially unfair in that.
    So you admit you have to subscribe to get a fair game?
  9. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 14:38
    lol

no
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 15:111 edit
    Choosing to play a game under unfair conditions doesn't actually make the [b]game itself fair does it?

In many cases the vacation is sprung on people out of the blue - that is the grossly unfair part of it. 😠[/b]
    The conditions are not unfair if they're agreed upon before the game. That the chances of winning are not 50/50 is completely immaterial.

Or do you believe that for a game to be fair, the chances of winning must be 50/50?
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 15:42
    Originally posted by coquette
    the main reason they don't do sealed moves . .i think . .is that the programming is a lot more complicated than it seems like it would be to a non-techie like me . .otherwise it makes a whole lot of sense
    🙄

D
  12. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 16:48
    I admit that it is unfair that players can "spring a vacation" on others out of the blue.

this player Tequila has been moving slow during the whole game and it just seems like a strange coincidence that he went on vacation exactly when his timebank had run out. But he is not moving in other games so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 22:02
    The conditions are not unfair if they're agreed upon before the game. That the chances of winning are not 50/50 is completely immaterial.

Or do you believe that for a game to be fair, the chances of winning must be 50/50?
    Let me put it like this:

Say in a game of football the pitch is on a huge slope - the team going down the hill has the advantage. Whether the teams agreed to play there beforehand or not doesn't suddenly level the playing field and make it a fair game - the game remains unfair.
    To make things fair the playing field has to be level which at the present time it is not.
    Unfortunately in chess you can't change ends at half time to make it fairer either.
    Face the fact, the system is not a fair system.
  14. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 22:43
    subs should be able to make four moves in a row any time they want to, but only three times during any game, except on weekends, when they can do it an extra time
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 22:49
    Originally posted by coquette
    subs should be able to make four moves in a row any time they want to, but only three times during any game, except on weekends, when they can do it an extra time
    Naah.. too complicated. I think subs should start with queens instead of bishops, but only in games against Dr Strangelove.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree