1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jan '12 15:24
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I said I didn't care enough about whether or not your brand of Christianity is monotheistic or not.

That is all that sentence related to, which is perfectly obvious if you actually read what I write and not skim it.
    Okay then, why don't you just respect that I define myself as Christian,
    but not a theist, without all your challenges?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '12 15:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Okay then, why don't you just respect that I define myself as Christian,
    but not a theist, without all your challenges?
    Christians are theists. You cannot be a Christian "but not a theist".
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jan '12 15:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Christians are theists. You cannot be a Christian "but not a theist".
    There you go again, butting in where you are not need or wanted.
    I am a Christian and thats that.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '12 15:48
    As I said, you cannot be a Christian "but not a theist"... unless you are claiming to be some kind of sociological or cultural "Christian" who doesn't actually believe in God.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '12 16:57
    You are (based on what you have said on these forums, and feel free to correct any I get wrong) a human,
    male, American, republican, Texan, Christian, Southern Baptist, married, a theist, Christian Fundamentalist,
    Young Earth Creationist, White, Married, military veteran.... ect ect.

None of which is contradictory, you are simultaneously all those things and more.

Simply saying you are Christian (what kind of Christian?) is while true, not sufficient.

If you have a belief in a deity or deities then you are by definition a theist.

If you are a Christian (and not just in name only) then you believe in at least one god and are thus a theist.

What's the value of saying theist rather than Christian? Because as an atheist I don't just not believe in your god,
    I don't believe in any god, in any religion. So unless I am specifically pointing out a feature of Christianity in an argument
    my arguments against religion and belief in gods are applicable to all religions and not just Christianity, so I use the label
    that applies to all beliefs in god or god's. That label is theist.

This label includes you until such time as you cease to believe in a god assuming that ever happens.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jan '12 17:55
    You are (based on what you have said on these forums, and feel free to correct any I get wrong) a human,
    male, American, republican, Texan, Christian, Southern Baptist, married, a theist, Christian Fundamentalist,
    Young Earth Creationist, White, Married, military veteran.... ect ect.

None of which is contradictory, you are simultaneously all those ...[text shortened]... el includes you until such time as you cease to believe in a god assuming that ever happens.
    You arguments against religion and belief in gods are applicable to
    most religions but not Christianity. Christianity is not a theistic
    religion. Christianity is a montheistic religion different from any
    other monotheistic religion. See Monotheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotheism
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 00:28
    You arguments against religion and belief in gods are applicable to
    most religions but not Christianity. Christianity is not a theistic
    religion. Christianity is a montheistic religion different from any
    other monotheistic religion. See Monotheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotheism
    I know what monotheism is and means.
    It's a sub set of theism, where the believer believes in only one god, and not many.
    And that this god is the only one in existence.

Christianity is not the only monotheistic religion, or the first, and all my arguments against theism
    and religion apply equally to Christianity as they do to any other religion.

Just because you happen to believe in Christianity is no reason for me to give it special treatment.

And all Christians are still theists, because they believe in a god, this is inarguable, it's how the word
    is defined.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 01:25
    fortunately, authority to redefine terms has not been granted unto you, ergo you are a theist.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 05:40
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    fortunately, authority to redefine terms has not been granted unto you, ergo you are a theist.
    Monotheistic Christian.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 10:08
    Monotheistic Christian.
    And this terminology differentiates you from 'Polytheistic Christians'? Talk us through that.
  11. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 10:09
    I know what monotheism is and means.
    It's a sub set of theism, where the believer believes in only one god, and not many.
    And that this god is the only one in existence.

Christianity is not the only monotheistic religion, or the first, and all my arguments against theism
    and religion apply equally to Christianity as they do to any other religion. ...[text shortened]... ll theists, because they believe in a god, this is inarguable, it's how the word
    is defined.
    Just because you happen to believe in Christianity is no reason for me to give it special treatment.

What about respect?
    You have no respect to any theist and if I can quickly think of one to mention is by referring to God as "it". A bit lame for someone that can sometimes keep nagging to other people about using the right words/terms. It a blatant insult. Look, no special treatments from any side, but what we (me included) have failed to do is keeping respect.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 10:28
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    [b]Just because you happen to believe in Christianity is no reason for me to give it special treatment.

What about respect?
    You have no respect to any theist and if I can quickly think of one to mention is by referring to God as "it". A bit lame for someone that can sometimes keep nagging to other people about using the right words/terms. It a blata ...[text shortened]... cial treatments from any side, but what we (me included) have failed to do is keeping respect.[/b]
    "Treat others as you want to be treated yourself" or something like it, said once Jesus.

I don't think many christians believe in this. Wanting respect is to give respect. I've seen to many christians giving nothing but disrespect to the theory of evolution. So why give christians respect for their beliefs when none is given in return?

Have christians forgot the word of Jesus? Or do they forget the words when it is convenient for them?
  13. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 13:07
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "Treat others as you want to be treated yourself" or something like it, said once Jesus.

I don't think many christians believe in this. Wanting respect is to give respect. I've seen to many christians giving nothing but disrespect to the theory of evolution. So why give christians respect for their beliefs when none is given in return?

Have christians forgot the word of Jesus? Or do they forget the words when it is convenient for them?
    I think I may have answered your question already about respect, but yes, we all forget sometimes.

With regards to the theory of evolution, conflict will always be there heck I stand first in line ready for action, and will try keep my pose - I am after all, only human, as are all of you.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 13:27
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    I think I may have answered your question already about respect, but yes, we all forget sometimes.

With regards to the theory of evolution, conflict will always be there heck I stand first in line ready for action, and will try keep my pose - I am after all, only human, as are all of you.
    I try to give everyone respect who gives me respect. Whenever someone disrespect me, like calling me ignorant for not blindly believe in the religious creational theories (or worse), then he gives me the right to give him the same kind of disrespect.

There shouldn't be disrespect between the two theories, creation and evolution, because one is religious, the other one scientific, i.e. the two resides in different domains.

I have personal friends that are creationists, and they know that I believe firmly in the evolution. We go along fine, we discuss the various aspect of the two theories, having a good time. We don't give eachother disrespect, why should we?
  15. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 13:461 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I try to give everyone respect who gives me respect. Whenever someone disrespect me, like calling me ignorant for not blindly believe in the religious creational theories (or worse), then he gives me the right to give him the same kind of disrespect.

There shouldn't be disrespect between the two theories, creation and evolution, because one is religiou ...[text shortened]... ct of the two theories, having a good time. We don't give eachother disrespect, why should we?
    No disrespect, but I do not have friends that are evolutionists or satanists as they could be a stumble block for me and my family. The saying goes you can choose your friends but not your family. I know people whom I work with and friends of friends who are atheists and we get along just fine too. I guess the reason why people take it over the top in here is because no one can physically harm you if you insult them LOL. I am sometimes too quick with my mouth, and that goes for the person smoking next to me too LOL. May the ***HAPPY NEW YEAR*** be a year of understanding and less fighting.

Edit: I want to point out that I am not done fighting with Dasa yet...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree