Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
21 Dec 21

The real way circulates everywhere;
How could it require
Practice or enlightenment?
The essential teaching is fully available;
How could effort be necessary?
Furthermore, the entire mirror is
Free of dust; why take steps to polish it?
Nothing is separate from this
Very place; why journey away?

- Dogen (1200-1253)

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
22 Dec 21

5255 days in a row

THE LANGUAGE OF THE HEART, p. 37

Who am I to judge anyone? When I first entered the Fellowship I found that I liked everyone. After all, A.A. was going to help me to a better way of life without alcohol. The reality was that I couldn't possibly like everyone, nor they me. As I've grown in the Fellowship, I've learned to love everyone just from listening to what they had to say. That person over there, or the one right here, may be the one God has chosen to give me the message I need for today. I must always remember to place principles above personalities.

Moves
23 Dec 21
1 edit

One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others.

— Molière

Moves
23 Dec 21

Some things are in our control and others not.

Things in our control are opinion, pursuit, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever are our own actions.

Things not in our control are body, property, reputation, command, and, in one word, whatever are not our own actions.

— Opening lines of The Enchiridion by Epictetus

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
24 Dec 21

The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not.
~ Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.
~ Francois de La Rochefoucauld
French author & moralist (1613 - 1680)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Dec 21

Rookie54, has Ghost of a Duke EVER complained on this thread that this was not your private pulpit, like he has on my threads?

Consider yourself to have been overlooked by his critical and skeptical annoyance.

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Dec 21
1 edit

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Dec 21
1 edit

@sonship said
Rookie54, has Ghost of a Duke EVER complained on this thread that this was not your private pulpit, like he has on my threads?

Consider yourself to have been overlooked by his critical and skeptical annoyance.
This is one of the best and most enlightening threads going, and the only one in Spirituality to which I return frequently and always with pleasure. This thread is like a breath of fresh air, compared to most of the rest of the SF which stinks of the Spanish Inquisition with the usual suspects slagging each other off as apostates.

In contradistinction to your threads, rookie does not preach, admonish, correct anyone who has the wrong interpretation, or argue. Now take a long hard look at your own threads, and the responses to them. See the difference? You presume to know something you think no one else here does, and that gives to your posts a certain infelicitous tint. Or should I say taint.

To you, I say, “Let he who is without sin cast the first complaint.”

Moves
26 Dec 21

The frog and the turtle prefer water.
The toad and the tortoise like land.
Or maybe they don't prefer or like.
That's just what they do. Understand?

Moves
26 Dec 21
1 edit

Moves
26 Dec 21

@sonship said

Rookie just has the one thread though, in which he almost always or perhaps only posts quotations from poets and mystics, without commentary (as far as I have observed).

Would Christ complain about such perceptions?
If there's a toad on the porch, should it be concerned?
Should we listen for the geese before they are flying?
Why not just leave these things in God's hands?

Moves
26 Dec 21

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
26 Dec 21

@sonship said

you sir, are a lucky man, and so am i
hallelujah!

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Dec 21

@kevin-eleven removed their quoted post
Maybe they're just recovering from Christmas. I'm sure they'll all be back soon.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
26 Dec 21

Coming or going,
Day or night,
You must just strive to
Face the incomprehensible.

- Daito (1282-1334)