1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 08:08
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Yes you are correct, but may i add that for the person of higher cosciousness, they will still respect the rules and regs and adhere to them, but it will become second nature for them to follow,..... and as an example for the beginning students they will follow.

vishva
    Yes, for a more refined spiritual person , it will be second nature and effortless
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 12:06
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes, so I thought,but some christians directly or indirectly imply that thinking for yourself WITHOUT Jesus ,(as opposed to not following his teachings), is good for nothing and potentially dangerous. As if you dont come into whatever fold, then you are doomed.
    When it comes to spirituality, and even christianity, one size does not fit all!
    There is a distinction to be made between the teachings of Jesus and what Christianity teaches. The beliefs of the vast majority of Christians are not only informed but superceded by the teachings of others. Christianity transitioned from the religion OF Jesus to a religion ABOUT Jesus early in its history. In many respects they are polar opposites.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 12:13
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    There is a distinction to be made between the teachings of Jesus and what Christianity teaches. The beliefs of the vast majority of Christians are not only informed but superceded by the teachings of others. Christianity transitioned from the religion OF Jesus to a religion ABOUT Jesus early in its history. In many respects they are polar opposites.
    In what non-Christian sources do you base this claim on?
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 12:20
    Originally posted by Palynka
    In what non-Christian sources do you base this claim on?
    Not sure what to make of this request. Can you tell me exactly what you're looking for and why it's important?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 13:43
    So where do YOU think the 10 commandments sit with Jesus' teachings?
  6. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 13:47
    Yes, rules/commandments like this are good for children and adolescents, (even the adolescents who are 40+ ,lol), however when people become more mature life becomes more complex thatn just following a few basic rules blindly like sheep without question. Rules that do not lead anywhere , it would seem.
    Our ability to question is one of the major differ ...[text shortened]... e of "inner searching" leads to more satisfying answers to ones questions about spirituality.
    I absolutely agree. Higher reasoning sets us apart from the rest of the creatures on the planet.

The point of my post was that people are choosing the easy route. Have the "rules" handed to them so they dont HAVE to think. Then, when they break a rule, all they have to do is ask forgiveness and all if well and they can still go to heaven. Live a lifetime of breaking the "rules" and ask for forgiveness on your deathbed and go to heaven. Its the easy road. Its the sheep road. Its the "I dont want to think for myself" road. Its for those who dont want to actually have to determine moral right and wrong and live by it.

I do not subscribe to any religion, but I have a strong moral compass. I know what is right and wrong. I strive to do what is right. Do I sometimes fail? Of course, as no one and nothing is perfect...but I keep striving. I keep growing a learning as an individual.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 13:57
    Originally posted by KnightWulfe
    I absolutely agree. Higher reasoning sets us apart from the rest of the creatures on the planet.

The point of my post was that people are choosing the easy route. Have the "rules" handed to them so they dont HAVE to think. Then, when they break a rule, all they have to do is ask forgiveness and all if well and they can still go to heaven. Live a life ...[text shortened]... and nothing is perfect...but I keep striving. I keep growing a learning as an individual.
    Not only does it mature the spirit , but it matures the brain as well...
  8. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 14:07
    Not only does it mature the spirit , but it matures the brain as well...
    100% agree.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 20:09

The point of my post was that people are choosing the easy route. Have the "rules" handed to them so they dont HAVE to think. Then, when they break a rule, all they have to do is ask forgiveness and all if well and they can still go to heaven. Live a life ...[text shortened]... and nothing is perfect...but I keep striving. I keep growing a learning as an individual.
    Hey, nice to see some rational thought in here dude (by which I mean, of course, I find myself in agreement with you!)
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 20:15
    Not sure what to make of this request. Can you tell me exactly what you're looking for and why it's important?
    I don't know. You seem to have privileged access to the teaching of Jesus that are not from Christian sources. If you don't have them, then I don't know how you can presume to know what Christ taught that is in opposition to Christianity.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 21:231 edit
    I hate 'em. Do not this and do not do that.

I like the eight noble truths of bhuddism better. Its all about right action and positivity rather than telling you what you cant do and saying that God said it.

I feel no connection with negatives.
    I love them, not because they highlight where I fall short, but because I also see them reading as prophesy:

You will...love the Lord your God..

You will...not steal...

You will...whatever...

These commandments become promises and empowerments under the new covenant and when we accept that our own efforts don't cut it.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 21:28
    So where do YOU think the 10 commandments sit with Jesus' teachings?
    A prevalent theme in the teachings of Jesus is that of becoming one with God and each other. As part of that, Jesus gives guidelines as to what that entails. Some of the guidelines coincide with the 10 commandments.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 21:31

Then, when they break a rule, all they have to do is ask forgiveness and all if well and they can still go to heaven.

This is an example of something that Jesus did not teach.

The absolute minimum requirement for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" according to the teachings of Jesus: One must become righteous, i.e., one must become one with God, one must follow the will of God, one cannot continue to commit sin, etc.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 21:40
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I don't know. You seem to have privileged access to the teaching of Jesus that are not from Christian sources. If you don't have them, then I don't know how you can presume to know what Christ taught that is in opposition to Christianity.
    How about if I give you an example? Many Christians believe it impossible for any human to stop committing sin. From what I can tell, this is rooted in the teachings of Paul. So far as I know, Jesus never taught this. In fact, He taught the opposite here:
    John 8:32-36
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?”
    Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. “The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 21:46
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I love them, not because they highlight where I fall short, but because I also see them reading as prophesy:

You will...love the Lord your God..

You will...not steal...

You will...whatever...

These commandments become promises and empowerments under the new covenant and when we accept that our own efforts don't cut it.
    I see your point. I'm not sure if most christians would look at it this way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree