1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '16 20:50
    For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either.

Do my eyes deceive me? How unchristian to not feed the poor just because they won't work. Yet here we have it. How does Christianity fit with Social programs that feed the poor even those that won't work.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Dec '16 23:02
    Originally posted by Eladar
    For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either.

Do my eyes deceive me? How unchristian to not feed the poor just because they won't work. Yet here we have it. How does Christianity fit with Social programs that feed the poor even those that won't work.
    If you were to read the context you would see that that statement has nothing to do with feeding the poor/ Sound like another excuse not to do what Christ commanded.

Paul here refers to those who are working for the church, and the church funds are used to feed these church workers. If they do not work then neither should they eat, is the point being made.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '16 23:36
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If you were to read the context you would see that that statement has nothing to do with feeding the poor/ Sound like another excuse not to do what Christ commanded.

Paul here refers to those who are working for the church, and the church funds are used to feed these church workers. If they do not work then neither should they eat, is the point being made.
    That seems to be Eladar's MO. Take a verse out of context and try to deceive others into believing it says something it doesn't.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '16 23:48

And let me ask a supposed Christian like you, why do you assume that the poor do not work?

How dare you judge them?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 01:08
    Originally posted by Rajk999

The context is that the members of the church supported each other. People would sell off what they or give what they have for the group. Of course some didn't bother to work because they didn't have to work. It is a natural problen.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 01:111 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And let me ask a supposed Christian like you, why do you assume that the poor do not work?

How dare you judge them?
    Only an arrogant ignorant person would treat the poor as a monolithic group. Some don't work because of physical problems, while others don't work because they don't need to work.

Of course some don't work because local economies are bad.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 01:131 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    That seems to be Eladar's MO. Take a verse out of context and try to deceive others into believing it says something it doesn't.
    AKA quoting scriptures liberals pretend really aren't there.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 04:55
    The context is that the members of the church supported each other. People would sell off what they or give what they have for the group. Of course some didn't bother to work because they didn't have to work. It is a natural problen.
    It seems the real problem here is that you denigrate the poor to provide yourself an easy excuse for not helping them.

In fact, you blame them for being poor, when it is most likely that they are poor because of Republican policies which you espouse.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 12:00
    It seems the real problem here is that you denigrate the poor to provide yourself an easy excuse for not helping them.

In fact, you blame them for being poor, when it is most likely that they are poor because of Republican policies which you espouse.
    As I said the poor are different people with different backgrounds and different reasons for being poor.

You can work and be poor. You can be of perfectly sound body and mind and not work.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 15:48

In fact, you blame them for being poor, when it is most likely that they are poor because of Republican policies

I am neither a Democrat or a Republican, but don't you think this statement is a bit unfair in light of the efforts of the government (Democrat Led) to get as many people dependent on the system while doing all that it can to stifle small business growth and saddling them with costs and restrictions (the last 8 years anyways)? Let us remember who's hand it was in eliminating countless US jobs, that being our illustrious former president William Jefferson Clinton who represented the US for the NAFTA. Donald Trump is no prize, and I certainly do not see him as some sort of a savior, in my opinion the US had little to no choice... but thank goodness it was not HRC and 4 more years of the current policies that we are now having to deal with.

With that being said, I think the Christian should consider the poor and do what it can to help and take the responsibility of feeding the poor away from the government. It was not that long ago that it was Christian organizations that did feed the hungry and run the hospitals, etc., how far we have traveled from those days.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 12:00
    As I said the poor are different people with different backgrounds and different reasons for being poor.

You can work and be poor. You can be of perfectly sound body and mind and not work.
    I hate to break it to you, but yeah, the poor are poor, because... wait for it... they have very little money. That's why they're called "the poor".

You're like many Christians here, who read the Bible, and they come across Jesus talking about "the poor" and they say, "Well, that depends on who he's talking about." As if that makes sense.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 12:07
    I hate to break it to you, but yeah, the poor are poor, because... wait for it... they have very little money. That's why they're called "the poor".

You're like many Christians here, who read the Bible, and they come across Jesus talking about "the poor" and they say, "Well, that depends on who he's talking about." As if that makes sense.
    Yes the poor have very little money. If it is because they are slothful, the Bible says don't let them eat.

My wife used to drive for a city bus system. She would come home complaining about grown getting on the bus with a basketball in one hand and a free bus pass in the other.

You want topretend that there aren't people who work the system. Yes some rich work the system too, just look at super rich politicians.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 12:11
    Yes the poor have very little money. If it is because they are slothful, the Bible says don't let them eat.

My wife used to drive for a city bus system. She would come home complaining about grown getting on the bus with a basketball in one hand and a free bus pass in the other.

You want topretend that there aren't people who work the system. Yes some rich work the system too, just look at super rich politicians.
    You are an example of an unChristlike Christian, and there are many millions like you that are selfish, stingy, greedy, lacking in compassion and who will be cast into the lake of fire, much like in the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 12:14
    Originally posted by leunammi
    In fact, you blame them for being poor, when it is most likely that they are poor because of Republican policies

I am neither a Democrat or a Republican, but don't you think this statement is a bit unfair in light of the efforts of the government (Democrat Led) to get as many people dependent on the system while doing all that it can to st ...[text shortened]... that did feed the hungry and run the hospitals, etc., how far we have traveled from those days.
    Yeah, and Republican policies that result in a huge conveyor belt shoveling all the money straight up to the top 1% actually helps the poor? Trickle down simply does not work. The money gets stuck after it goes into some CEO's pocket. On the other hand, money sent down the chain to help the poor gets spent immediately to stimulate the economy. After a couple years of Trump, middle America will be crying for Hillary when they realize their air is filthy, their water is filthy, all their roads are toll roads, they can't afford their medication, even WITH insurance, and they're stuck working for "the man" making HIM rich, while they're worse off than before.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 12:19

This mish mash of unconnected thought seems like what being raised on a steady diet of Fox News looks like.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree