1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 22:25
    Is this the year in which the messiah returns?

Or is it another year chalked onto the 'where is he?' column?

Be brave.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 22:31
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

Be brave.
    Nope....
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 22:37
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Nope....
    A categorical no!! That's what i like. Decisiveness.

Any idea when he will be? Your organistaion used to be up for these predictions.

[whisper]we won't mention the success rate though, it's a bit embarrassing isn't it?![whisper]
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 22:40

Any idea when he will be? Your organistaion used to be up for these predictions.

[whisper]we won't mention the success rate though, it's a bit embarrassing isn't it?![whisper]
    Now be nice, we all make mistakes 🙂

Do you take armageddon/end of the world the same as a/the messiah returning, as some do, or do you see them as distinct events unto themselves, such as I?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 23:22
    Yes it's been boring in the forum in recent weeks, with only vishu contributing anything worth slapping down - so I'll play ball proper knob; let's first look at a few scientific predictions that didn't quite pay off before we lean into JW errors in Messianic prophecy and why those errors prove that the JW leaders who made them are false prophets. Science gets a much easier time with just a raised eyebrow and an embarrassed cough :

“The earth's crust does not move”- 19th through early 20th century accepted geological science.

“The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives.” — Admiral William Leahy, U.S. Atomic Bomb Project

“That virus is a pussycat.” — Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, on HIV, 1988

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” — Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

“Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax.” — William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, British scientist, 1899.

“Space travel is bunk.” — Sir Harold Spencer Jones, Astronomer Royal of the UK, 1957 (two weeks later Sputnik orbited the Earth).

“If I had thought about it, I wouldn’t have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can’t do this.” — Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M “Post-It” Notepads.

“Stomach ulcers are caused by stress” — accepted medical diagnosis, until Dr. Marshall proved that H. pylori caused gastric inflammation by deliberately infecting himself with the bacterium.

"Rail travel at high speed is not possible, because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia." Dr Dionysius Lardner (1793-1859), professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy, University College London.

"That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced." Scientific American, January 2, 1909

and the man himself...

"There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." Albert Einstein, 1932.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:16

Well at least were trying to figure it all out...That's got to be worth a couple points or something..Lol
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes it's been boring in the forum in recent weeks, with only vishu contributing anything worth slapping down - so I'll play ball proper knob; let's first look at a few scientific predictions that didn't quite pay off before we lean into JW errors in Messianic prophecy and why those errors prove that the JW leaders who made them are false prophets. Scien ...[text shortened]... would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." Albert Einstein, 1932.
    All those opinions were overturned in a relatively short time. 2,000 years on and the Christians are still waiting for J.C. to swoop down and cure what ails 'em.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes it's been boring in the forum in recent weeks, with only vishu contributing anything worth slapping down - so I'll play ball proper knob; let's first look at a few scientific predictions that didn't quite pay off before we lean into JW errors in Messianic prophecy and why those errors prove that the JW leaders who made them are false prophets. Scien ...[text shortened]... would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." Albert Einstein, 1932.
    so I'll play ball proper knob

Good man. But a capital P and K please next time.

Science gets a much easier time with just a raised eyebrow and an embarrassed cough.

They are some good funny quotes. But the distinction between the two (in my eyes anyhow) can be summed up by this quote that i've always remembered (not sure who it came from)

'Anyone can make a mistake, but only an idiot repeats them'

The JW's have a long list of failures in the 'Ooops' category (judging by my chess lately, i'm in there with them).

But this thread wasn't about the JW's and their failed predictions, it just so happenned that my good man Galvo was the first, and only so far, brave man to put his next on the line.

So Mr divegeester over to you, are ye a yay or a nay? (or are you going to sit on the fence?).

In the meantime my legs are sore from the gym and i don't fancy sitting next to this drafty door much longer. The girlfriend who is lying in bed with a hot water bottle is a much more appealing option.

Cheerio.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:27
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Now be nice, we all make mistakes 🙂

Do you take armageddon/end of the world the same as a/the messiah returning, as some do, or do you see them as distinct events unto themselves, such as I?
    If you're asking me do i think some sort of modern day superman is going to swoop down from the sky, save humanity, but only those who 'believed' in him, the rest of us will be carted off to burn in the fires of hell for eternity (obviously dependant on which denomination you choose to believe). I think you've read enough of my posts over the last year or so to make that call.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:32
    If you're asking me do i think some sort of modern day superman is going to swoop down from the sky, save humanity, but only those who 'believed' in him, the rest of us will be carted off to burn in the fires of hell for eternity (obviously dependant on which denomination you choose to believe). I think you've read enough of my posts over the last year or so to make that call.
    I totally agree with you on this, shocking huh? But your right on both those points.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:48
    I would guess you believe in neither, and I also guess from your response that the event you refer to is the one that christians refer to in revelations. ie, armageddon and superman are both coming at the same time, rather than being two distinct events.
    (Dont respond if you agree)
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:55

Be brave.
    2 Peter 3:3,4&10

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night;
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 00:59
    2011 and Revelation?

In simple language, what is the meaning of “Revelation”? Part 1:

The opening chapter of the book concluding the Bible introduces us to the One over all, the Originator of the Revelation message, Jehovah God the Almighty, “the Alpha and the Omega.” It gives a vision of the Channel of the communication, Jesus Christ, showing him as having died but now being alive, in great power in heaven. The sharers with him in his tribulation and in the Kingdom are next brought into view, and Christ’s interest in them and loving-kindness toward them are displayed in his messages to “the angels” of the seven congregations.—Re 1-3.
    Then by the spirit of inspiration John is ushered into the heavens to begin seeing “the things that must take place.” He is given a vision of the throne of God and its surroundings, and he describes the One sitting upon it as glorious, supreme, throning in perfect sereneness and composure.—Re 4.
    The glorious position of “the Lamb” of God, Jesus Christ, is portrayed as that of the one second only to Jehovah God, the only one in heaven and earth qualified to approach God to open up the revelation of God’s purpose. Attention is given to a warrior-king (apparently also Jesus) riding forth “conquering and to complete his conquest.” The result to earth, especially to God’s enemies, when this king begins his ride is shown and so is God’s purpose to avenge the blood of his people upon his enemies.—Re 5, 6.
    How God views his servants on earth who have been chosen by him to share in the heavenly Kingdom is shown in his holding up destructive action until these servants are ‘sealed in their foreheads.’ The full number of sealed ones is revealed to be 144,000. Others not sealed, and unlimited as to number, who become servants of God and escape the destructiveness of “the great tribulation” are then shown. The judgments of God against various sections of his enemies on earth, as well as the fight that these enemies wage against his people, are related. This leads up to the efforts of the archenemy, the dragon Satan the Devil, to thwart God’s purpose to bring forth the “son, a male, who is to shepherd all the nations with an iron rod.” Next, wild beasts are seen, symbolizing instrumentalities that this archenemy uses to fight the remaining ones of the seed of the woman and to prevent the completion of the sealing work.—Re 7-13; see BEASTS, SYMBOLIC.
    All these attempts of Satan utterly fail. The 144,000 are seen victorious, standing with the Lamb upon Mount Zion, displaying the name of the Father and of the Lamb on their foreheads, and singing as if a new song before the heavenly ones. After these and a “great crowd” of earthly associates are all gathered in “the harvest of the earth,” the time has arrived for the great “vine of the earth” to be trodden out in the winepress.—Re 14.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 01:01
    Part 2:

With another symbolism, God’s final judgments are portrayed. Seven angels are provided with seven bowls of God’s anger. They go forth to carry out this final work. One of the chief foes of God and of the “bride” of Christ comes in for attention, namely, “Babylon the Great, the mother of the harlots,” “the great city that has a kingdom over the kings of the earth.” Her alliance with the seven-headed beast collapses, the beast becoming enraged with her, eating her flesh, and burning her with fire. The mourning of those who made gain by their dealings with her is great, but heaven rejoices.—Re 15-18.
    Babylon the Great, as “the mother of the harlots,” would logically make every attempt to seduce the “bride” of Christ to become unfaithful to her promised husband (2Co 11:2, 3; Eph 5:25-27) and thereby make her another harlot. Hence, the heavenly rejoicing is accentuated because Babylon the Great’s corrupting efforts have been frustrated. The great harlot is now out of the way, and the bride has gained the victory. She has prepared herself for her espoused One. Therefore it is time for the Lamb’s marriage to take place. All those invited to the marriage rejoice. Jehovah now begins a new epoch in his reign, the great harlot having disappeared as a rival to pure worship.—Re 19:1-10.
    But God’s other enemies must come in for execution of judgment. The Bridegroom goes forth to complete his conquest, to rid the earth of all foes, political and otherwise. The destruction is thorough. Finally, the Devil, having experienced the defeat of all of his agents and instruments, is himself bound for the thousand years of Christ’s reign. The vision passes over this Millennial Reign for the moment to detail a judgment that comes at the end of the thousand years; the Devil is temporarily loosed, then, together with all those joining his attack on “the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city,” he is completely annihilated.—Re 19:11–20:10.
    Turning back to events during the thousand years, the vision depicts the resurrection and judgment that take place under the rule of Christ and his bride, the New Jerusalem. The beauty and grandeur of this heavenly “city” is described, with the healing, life-giving benefits it brings to mankind.—Re 20:11–22:5.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 01:10
    It's your choice!

You laugh at Jesus and you laugh at us for believing.

We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Tomorrow might be too late.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree