1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 18:12
    What sort of things subjectively experience stuff, and how do we know? Is what the thread is about.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 18:50
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 18:04
    We are so comfortable realizing that duh we have a brain it produces our consciousness so no mystery that I expect none of you know of your enteric brain.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 18:111 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Translation: humans are inherently bad; we Christians are forgiven for being inherently bad because we are Christians [we call it "being held accountable" which is a kind of Orwellian-style taking-the-piss]; being good people is NOT the point; believing in "grace" is the only purpose in life; non-Christians are "condemned" and burnt non-stop in a furnace;
    No, Christians are not forgiven because they are Christians. We are forgiven because Jesus satisfied the justice of God by taking our rightful punishment upon Himself.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 22:081 edit
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    No, Christians are not forgiven because they are Christians. We are forgiven because Jesus satisfied the justice of God by taking our rightful punishment upon Himself.
    So thinking that "Jesus satisfied the justice of God by taking our rightful punishment upon Himself" gets Christians "forgiven" for whatever they do, that is what your superstitions perspectives and beliefs have led you to believe, right? How is that different from what I said? As long as you cannot substantiate or prove that "Jesus satisfied the justice of God by taking our rightful punishment upon Himself", and that this leads to life after death, then it is simply something that you think.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 17:42
    So, you have a giant worm-brain that controls your gut. Or, depending on how you look at this, it has you.

I'm not kidding.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 03:57
    So thinking that "Jesus satisfied the justice of God by taking our rightful punishment upon Himself" gets Christians "forgiven" for whatever they do, that is what your superstitions perspectives and beliefs have led you to believe, right? How is that different from what I said? As long as you cannot substantiate or prove that "Jesus satisfied the justice of God ...[text shortened]... n Himself", and that this leads to life after death, then it is simply something that you think.
    It is what the Bible says and something you obviously choose to ignore because you do not see the Bible as God's revelation whereas I do.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 06:561 edit
    It is what the Bible says and something you obviously choose to ignore because you do not see the Bible as God's revelation whereas I do.
    We are both entitled to our personal, subjective takes on the world around us, and to synthesize all the things we've seen and done in order to make sense of it all. It makes little difference to me whether you subscribe to the Bible or the Vedas, or to Scientology for that matter.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 07:10
    We are both entitled to our personal, subjective takes on the world around us, and to synthesize all the things we've seen and done in order to make sense of it all. It makes little difference to me whether you subscribe to the Bible or the Vedas, or to Scientology for that matter.
    Well it obviously makes a difference to me, because I believe I have found 'the truth' whereas you are quite happy to live without 'the truth'.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 07:23
    Well it obviously makes a difference to me, because I believe I have found 'the truth' whereas you are quite happy to live without 'the truth'.
    You asserting that your religious beliefs personally 'make a difference' to you is nothing other than bears-poo-in-the-woods stuff. Nor does it create anything objective or universal that impacts on the life I live.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 07:34
    You asserting that your religious beliefs personally 'make a difference' to you is nothing other than bears-poo-in-the-woods stuff. Nor does it create anything objective or universal that impacts on the life I live.
    Well maybe you may feel like this at this at this point in time. But if the Bible is true then it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 07:41
    Well maybe you may feel like this at this at this point in time. But if the Bible is true then it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.
    Yeah, I am aware of your elaborate notions about supernatural causality. My reaction to them is unchanged: If they help you find purpose in life and to come to terms with the inevitability of death (something we do seem to agree about), then that's good I suppose.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 07:472 edits
    Yeah, I am aware of your elaborate notions about supernatural causality. My reaction to them is unchanged: If they help you find purpose in life and to come to terms with the inevitability of death (something we do seem to agree about), then that's good I suppose.
    My notions are either true or false. If they are false we are in the same boat. If they are true however the only one losing out is you.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 07:50
    My notions are either true or false. If they are false what do I have to lose in comparison with you?
    I am not concerned in the slightest by what you personally happen to feel you might - or might not - have "to lose" in comparison to me.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 08:061 edit
    I am not concerned in the slightest by what you personally happen to feel you might - or might not - have [b]"to lose" in comparison to me.[/b]
    If you have done the risk analysis and you're happy with your current situation I guess you have no one else to blame but yourself if you end up with your eggs in the wrong basket. The same applies to me, obviously.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree