6000 years?

6000 years?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 May 15

When I first saw pictures of galaxies as a child, those spiraling systems of stars, I was impressed that that universe must be very old.

To see them reminded me of stirring up the chocolate in my glass of milk. I could believe that these huge systems of suns was a much larger scale version of a milk being swirled around in a cup of coffee.

Seeing these galaxies of stars has no problem to me thinking the Creator wants us to understand big time.

Now some dear ones have said that God created this all recently but with an appearance of great age. They point to the example of Jesus turning the water into wine in John chapter two.

Yes, when they tasted the wine they all thought it was probably old wine of fine vintage, well preserved over time. Yet Jesus and His disciples knew that He had just made the wine from the water that evening. So it only had the illusion of great age.

Okay. I'll grant that. But I do not see Jesus scolding the tasters that they would be all wrong to think the wine was old. I don't see Jesus rebuking the tasters for not realizing that He had just made the wine minutes ago.

So I simply don't feel any conviction in the conscience for assuming those galaxies are millions or more years in existence. So if YECer want to say I am a second class Christian because I think the universe is older than 6,000 years, that's fine with me.

Even if I am wrong those heavens still proclaim the eternal power of God and the divine nature of God to me. Those star systems still declare the glory of God to me -

" The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament proclaims the work of His hands. (Psalm 19:1)

Whatever the age of the wine made from water in John 2, the glory of Christ was manifested. And whatever the age of those tremendous star systems, to me the glory of God is still manifested.

Discovering some significance milestones in time back about 6,000 years does not necessarily mean the universe started at that time. Those natural markers in the world may simply show something significant happening IN the universe 6,000 or so years back.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 May 15

Originally posted by sonship
When I first saw pictures of galaxies as a child, those spiraling systems of stars, I was impressed that that universe must be very old.

To see them reminded me of stirring up the chocolate in my glass of milk. I could believe that these huge systems of suns was a much larger scale version of a milk being swirled around in a cup of coffee.

Seeing th ...[text shortened]... he world may simply show something significant happening IN the universe 6,000 or so years back.
Yes, I understand that point of view and I don't want you to be ignorant, brother, that i think of you as a second class citizen. I acknowledge your free will to have a different opinion from me and my YEC brothers.

And I don't say you are doomed to be thrown into the lake of fire for believeing the earth is very old. I just believe it may lead lesser men of faith to turn from the belief in a creator God because of Satan's lie or half truth of evilution.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
And I don't say you are doomed to be thrown into the lake of fire for believeing the earth is very old.
Why does your magnanimity regarding who gets burnt for eternity, extend to sonship for rejecting the young earth doctrine, but not to me for rejecting the eternal suffering doctrine?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by divegeester
Why does your magnanimity regarding who gets burnt for eternity, extend to sonship for rejecting the young earth doctrine, but not to me for rejecting the eternal suffering doctrine?
Are you seriously still butt-hurt over that?

Is it all just "me, me, me" with you?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 15

And I don't say you are doomed to be thrown into the lake of fire for believeing the earth is very old. I just believe it may lead lesser men of faith to turn from the belief in a creator God because of Satan's lie or half truth of evilution.
And really, Ron, this is just stupid.

Does my denial of a literal "six 24-hour-day creation" diminish my faith in the least? No, it does not.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
And really, Ron, this is just stupid.

Does my denial of a literal "six 24-hour-day creation" diminish my faith in the least? No, it does not.
I did mention your name there as one of the " lesser men". I already know it does not diminish your faith. You even toot "blind faith" as a badge of honor.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 May 15

Are you still seriously pretending that you think I'm hurting over it?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 May 15
2 edits

The claimed Christian RJHinds has told me (and this forum) that he truly believes that Christians who do not accept the doctrine of eternal suffering deserve to be burnt in hell for eternity.

That you have not once tackled him about this horrendous revelation but instead prefer to repeatedly tackle me for addressing him about it, is quite an interesting revelation about you actually.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 15

I meant I did NOT mention your name.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 15

I did mention your name there as one of the " lesser men". I already know it does not diminish your faith. You even toot "blind faith" as a badge of honor.
To Suzianne:
I did NOT mention your name there as one of the " lesser men".

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 15

The claimed Christian RJHinds has told me (and this forum) that he truly believes that Christians who do not accept the doctrine of eternal suffering deserve to be burnt in hell for eternity.

That you have not once tackled him about this horrendous revelation but instead prefer to repeatedly tackle me for addressing him about it, is quite an interesting revelation about you actually.
I said "YOU" not CHRISTIANS.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 May 15

I said "YOU" not CHRISTIANS.
I am a Christian.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 15
2 edits

I am a Christian.
Isaiah 4:1 uses three metaphors.

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying,
We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel:
only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

This is referring to people like you.
It means they reject the whole truth of "Him" that they know is the "One," but they still want to be called by "His Name," "to take away our reproach."

This tells us that in our day there will be many like you in churches that will call themselves Christians, but they will deny a great deal of the truths about Christ. In other words, they reject most of the truth, accepting only the parts they find convenient. 😏

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 May 15

Isaiah 4:1 uses three metaphors.

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying,
We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel:
only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

This is referring to people like you.
[quote]It means they reject the whole truth of "Him" that they know is the "One," but t ...[text shortened]... In other words, they reject most of the truth, accepting only the parts they find convenient. 😏
Are you claiming that I cannot be a Christian because I don't believe in the doctrine of eternal burning in hell?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 May 15

Some here claim that the earth is only 6000 years old. What is the reasoning behind this?
Civilization began about 6000 years ago. This is what Genesis ("The Beginning" ) is about, but it is not made clear what is beginning. So, many people assume it was the beginning of EVERYTHING.