1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '15 07:23
    Some here claim that the earth is only 6000 years old. What is the reasoning behind this?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 07:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Some here claim that the earth is only 6000 years old. What is the reasoning behind this?
    YouTube

Scientific Evidence for a Young Earth

YouTube
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:141 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72h2R4FO0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PY0zzh8G3c
    I'm not watching your links. Can you explain what your reasoning is in one or two sentences?

I'm not asking you to prove it to me and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - i'm looking for why YOU believe this, specifically evidence from the Bible.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 12:43
    I'm not watching your links. Can you explain what your reasoning is in one or two sentences?

I'm not asking you to prove it to me and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - i'm looking for why YOU believe this, specifically evidence from the Bible.
    Genesis 5:3 gives the age of Adam when he became the father of Seth and Genesis 5:6 gives the age of Seth when he became the father of Enosh and so forth. Biblical scholars have added these ages and followed the timeline revealed in the Holy Bible until they were able to reach a point in time that is also recorded in secular history and down to the time of Christ Jesus and determined it was about 4,000 years. From Christ to the present has been determined to be about another 2,000 years which totals 6,000 years. And if the word "day" really means a 24 hour day in the creation story, then the earth is also only about 6,000 years old. 😏
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '15 14:53
    Genesis 5:3 gives the age of Adam when he became the father of Seth and Genesis 5:6 gives the age of Seth when he became the father of Enosh and so forth. Biblical scholars have added these ages and followed the timeline revealed in the Holy Bible until they were able to reach a point in time that is also recorded in secular history and down to the time of C ...[text shortened]... ans a 24 hour day in the creation story, then the earth is also only about 6,000 years old. 😏
    OK genealogies determine it - I thought that was it; I have heard this before but wanted to check there was nothing else.

Some questions then please:
    - How can you be certain that there are no gaps?
    - How long ago was the Genesis flood on this timescale?
    - Does a population growth model regress from where we are now to Adam over a similar time period?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 15:142 edits
    OK genealogies determine it - I thought that was it; I have heard this before but wanted to check there was nothing else.

Some questions then please:
    - Does a population growth model regress from where we are now to Adam over a similar time period?
    No Biblical scholar has claimed there may not be minor gaps in time before we get to modern recorded history. However, it seems very clear there is no gaps of millions of years. See the thread on The Gap Theory.

I believe the Genesis flood is estimated to be about 4400 years ago give or take about 100 years.

I believe it goes back to the worldwide flood and Noah's family.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '15 15:27
    [b]No Biblical scholar has claimed there may not be minor gaps in time before we get to modern recorded history. However, it seems very clear there is no gaps of millions of years. See the thread on The Gap Theory.

I believe the Genesis f ...[text shortened]... a similar time period?
    [b] I believe it goes back to the worldwide flood and Noah's family.
    [/b]
    Is the 6000 years idea a doctrine for you? I.e. a deal-breaker where one must accept it or not be a Christian? (I'll avoid the 'H' word so we can keep on track)
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 15:36
    Is the 6000 years idea a doctrine for you? I.e. a deal-breaker where one must accept it or not be a Christian? (I'll avoid the 'H' word so we can keep on track)
    Christ asked, "if you don't believe Moses then how can you believe Me." (John 5:47) So how can one be a Christian without believing both Moses and Christ?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '15 15:50
    Christ asked, "if you don't believe Moses then how can you believe Me." (John 5:47) So how can one be a Christian without believing both Moses and Christ?
    Did Christ (or Moses) say that the Earth was only 6000 years old then...?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 17:23
    Neither. My wife wants to visit my son's grave, so I will not comment again until later if you have more questions.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '15 17:381 edit
    Neither.
    Not sure why you mentioned then then. I asked:

Is the 6000 years idea a doctrine for you? I.e. a deal-breaker where one must accept it or not be a Christian?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '15 19:35
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72h2R4FO0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PY0zzh8G3c
    Can't you just spell it out in your own words?

It IS your belief, right? Then you should be able to lay it out as you believe it.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '15 19:45
    Precisely.

I believe Christ. I believe Moses.

What I don't believe is RJH's [i]interpretation]/i] of what they said.

James Ussher is most famous for calculating the age of the earth using the same methods RJH touts. I believe he came up with 4004 BC as the year of Creation. Interestingly, the Jews have a similar belief, as noted by their calendar which I believe counts from the first day of Creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_calendar
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 21:222 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Can't you just spell it out in your own words?

It IS your belief, right? Then you should be able to lay it out as you believe it.
    As sonhouse has pointed out, I can't think for myself and I am also a poor typist and may have a defective keyboard. So I only type short statements or else it will be the following day before i can complete it and correct all the errors. Therefore, I resort to cut and paste or Youtube videos for long explanations.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 21:30
    Not sure why you mentioned then then. I asked:

[b]Is the 6000 years idea a doctrine for you? I.e. a deal-breaker where one must accept it or not be a Christian?
    [/b]
    Yes, I believe the YEC worldview is the correct one and the one that both Moses and Christ also believed and put forth in the Holy Bible. That is why I mentioned them. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree