80 000 denominations of christianity

80 000 denominations of christianity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 May 09

i have heard there are 80,000 denominations of christianity. If so doesn't that reflect a fair bit of conjecture just within one religion?
...similarily there are 84000 sutras in bhuddism.
(it is said there are 84000 sutras because there are 84000 follies)
AM i in the ball park with these figures?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
30 May 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
i have heard there are 80,000 denominations of christianity. If so doesn't that reflect a fair bit of conjecture just within one religion?
...similarily there are 84000 sutras in bhuddism.
(it is said there are 84000 sutras because there are 84000 follies)
AM i in the ball park with these figures?
I doubt that's accurate, but there is a huge rift between the Orthodox denominations (the big ones are Roman Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Russian Orthodox), the Roman Catholics, and the various Protestant denominations.

Islam is like that too.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 May 09

Originally posted by scherzo
I doubt that's accurate, but there is a huge rift between the Orthodox denominations (the big ones are Roman Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Russian Orthodox), the Roman Catholics, and the various Protestant denominations.

Islam is like that too.
until you can show me its not accurate i'll have to stick with these figures. remember there are a lot of private denominations started by wealthy ranch owners and the like. Heck! I could start one right now

s

At the Revolution

Moves
30 May 09

until you can show me its not accurate i'll have to stick with these figures. remember there are a lot of private denominations started by wealthy ranch owners and the like. Heck! I could start one right now
http://christianity.about.com/od/denominations/p/christiantoday.htm

About 40,000 denominations actually.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 09

About 40,000 denominations actually.
thnx dude. what about private 'jesus cults'? surley thay would be hard to track down?
anyway 40000 is still a shatload.
A lot of division

s

At the Revolution

Moves
31 May 09

thnx dude. what about private 'jesus cults'? surley thay would be hard to track down?
anyway 40000 is still a shatload.
A lot of division
Those cults, I don't think they're considered part of Christianity in and of itself. And yes, that is a lot of divisions. With the exceptions of Judaism and the Vedic faiths, the older a faith is, the more divisions it has and the sharper they are.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 09

Those cults, I don't think they're considered part of Christianity in and of itself. And yes, that is a lot of divisions. With the exceptions of Judaism and the Vedic faiths, the older a faith is, the more divisions it has and the sharper they are.
how can cultists not be condidered christians?surley it is for one owns self to decide whether they are a christian or not?

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
31 May 09
1 edit

According to Christianity Today there are approx. 38,000 denominiations in the world.

Although we are still better off as opposed to the alternative, the Roman Catholic Church knew what they were talking about when they opposed Martin Luther's campaign to have the bible printed in everyday language.

F

Moves
31 May 09

Originally posted by sumydid
we are still better off as opposed to the alternative, the Roman Catholic Church knew what they were talking about when they opposed Martin Luther's campaign to have the bible printed in everyday language.
Boy, do you hold long standing grudges! The Roman Catholic Church's opposition to having the bible printed in everyday language must be going back a few years now, yeah? Are the 38,000 Protestant denominations all better off than the Roman Catholic Church as it is in 2009?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Boy, do you hold long standing grudges! The Roman Catholic Church's opposition to having the bible printed in everyday language must be going back a few years now, yeah? Are the 38,000 Protestant denominations [b]all better off than the Roman Catholic Church as it is in 2009?[/b]
What ? this is relevant to this thread?
go away
I got some nice answers to my origional post and then you came along and... geez.
(if i am wrong here please elaborate?)

s

At the Revolution

Moves
31 May 09

how can cultists not be condidered christians?surley it is for one owns self to decide whether they are a christian or not?
Then wouldn't there be a few million denominations? No two Christians are the same ...

j

Moves
31 May 09

So what is the answer to the problem of so many denominations ?

Is God without a solution then ?
Is it a hopeless problem from which disciples of Jesus cannot be rescued?

Have the gates of hell prevailed against the church afterall, in spite of the promise of Christ ?

What is the solution to so many divisions among Christians ?

F

Moves
31 May 09

What ? this is relevant to this thread?
go away
I got some nice answers to my origional post and then you came along and... geez.
(if i am wrong here please elaborate?)
Go away? My, my. You're a wee bit full of yourself, aren't you?

My post was a response to sumydid's.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 09

Originally posted by FMF

yeah..i might be a bit full of myself but surley i can respond -or is this a private thread between you and sumydid

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 09

Originally posted by FMF

yeah ,look i just went back through this thread and i will have to apologize. Sorry . (although i still don't rightly know what you two were on about)