1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 02:292 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    While I tend to agree with your self assessment, comparisons are still odious. What others may or may not do ranks high on the list of the irrelevant and inconsequential. Absence of silent gloating and self gratification is still the acid test of treating others better than they deserve.
    I have never used faux "questions" about whether a fellow poster was sexually abused as a child or whether they were suffering from drug related mental illness in order to get back at them for disagreement in a debate. I have never done anything remotely like that. So what exactly is it you are claiming is odious?

What others may or may not do ranks high on the list of the irrelevant and inconsequential..

Nonsense. It is absolutely central to whether or not one is "responding in kind". What others may or may not do is absolutely central to the issue of dignity in the face of personal abuse.

What I do find irrelevant and inconsequential is your apparent objection to regular posters here discussing attitudes to Christmas with people who have, in the past, poured scorn on it.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Not so long ago, robbie rather embarrassed himself on a thread over a claim he'd made and a bible citation that didn't support it. He had to climb down. And my line of questioning had helped to bring about that climb down. An indignant and chip-spitting robbie then subjected me to repeated questions about whether I'd been sexually abused as a child and whether I Or does asking him about Christmas trump all this in terms of 'treating someone badly'? 🙂
    None of us, however or informed or prescient, are sufficiently gifted so as to be able to enjoy the right of claiming infallibility. All of our feet are fashioned of clay. Our character strengths and weaknesses are different in both kind and degree. Principle of our depraved human natures is our tendency to criticize others for their indisgressions and failures from the pedestal of our own strengths. By the same reverse play of mind, we become agitated when our own shortcomings become apparent to others viewing them from a position of strength. Debate, as Divegesster suggested. Post all day long about the matter in principle but let's leave robbie and others of a different persuasion out of it. And let's do so so because it's the honorable thing to do.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 02:401 edit
    Post all day long about the matter in principle but let's leave robbie and others of a different persuasion out of it. And let's do so so because it's the honorable thing to do.
    You should post how you personally see fit. And you should define "the honorable thing to do", and then apply it to yourself, in whatever way and with whatever degree of consistency you think is appropriate. As for me, I am here specifically in order to engage "others of a different persuasion", and have enjoyed and benefitted from doing so for years.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 03:26
    Originally posted by FMF

You should post how you personally see fit. And you should define "the honorable thing to do", and then apply it to yourself, in whatever way and with whatever degree of consistency you think is appropriate. As for me, I am here specifically in order to engage "others of a different persuasion", and have enjoyed and benefitted from doing so for years.
    If I didn't know you better I'd be hearing, "Mind closed. Guard up" between the well crafted lines. Glad that's not the case.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 03:30
    Do we always respond in kind; do we never treat others better than they may deserve?
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby last few days
    ...despicable ... infantile ... laughable ... foolish ... dark brown colored pants ... odious ... tedious ...

No. I do not respond in kind. Do you treat people better than they deserve?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby last few days
    [b]...despicable ... infantile ... laughable ... foolish ... dark brown colored pants ... odious ... tedious ...

No. I do not respond in kind. Do you treat people better than they deserve?[/b]
    Yes, accurately.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:12
    Principle of our depraved human natures is our tendency to criticize others for their indisgressions and failures from the pedestal of our own strengths.
    For what it's worth, I am pretty satisfied with my posting record and with my relations with fellow posters here. I wouldn't swap them for yours. Nor would you swap yours for mine. Just as it should be.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:36
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think it's a fair question.

Jehovah's Witnesses are not supposed celebrate Christmas, however it is my understanding that some secretly do, to a greater or lesser extent. For example some will get together at home and have a (nondescript) festive meal, whilst others may go away and celebrate the season in a more full on manner (without actually rec ...[text shortened]... lk through each day of Christmas without so much as a mince pie or a gift for their children.
    I believe most of the JWs do it on some other day to be different from Christians.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 09:491 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Thanks for your wise and insightful comments. And as you commented earlier I have no wish to discuss this issue with them as it has been discussed in length many times.
    They are not inquiring to learn and be satisfied with our answers and history has shown over and over.
    Thanks again.
    Actually I'm trying to learn if you (or robbie carrobie) do anything different during the seasonal period; either culinary, socially, or otherwise.

Considering your staunch stance on not recognising Christmas at all, I think this is a reasonable question and one worth exploring.

Edit: but as usual when confronted about with simple unambiguous inquiry about the JW lifestyle you avoid the topic completely; except of course to stroke grampy bobby for his "wise and insightful" agreement with you.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 09:53
    Any outside parameters or limits?
    None in my book.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 10:03
    None of us, however or informed or prescient, are sufficiently gifted so as to be able to enjoy the right of claiming infallibility. All of our feet are fashioned of clay. Our character strengths and weaknesses are different in both kind and degree. Principle of our depraved human natures is our tendency to criticize others for their indisgressions and ...[text shortened]... a different persuasion out of it. And let's do so so because it's the honorable thing to do.
    I think most members who frequent the RHP forums will be dumb-struck to see you come into this forum with your record of repeated bannings due to your long history of atrocious behavior in the GF and lecture other people on posting etiquette.

Hypocrisy is a topic often discussed here...
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 10:08
    Originally posted by FMF

I have never used faux "questions" about whether a fellow poster was sexually abused as a child or whether they were suffering from drug related mental illness in order to get back at them for disagreement in a debate. I have never done anything remotely like that. So what exactly is it you are claiming is odious?

What others may or may not do ranks hig ...[text shortened]... rs here discussing attitudes to Christmas with people who have, in the past, poured scorn on it.
    No claims have been made or filed. Rather, the mention of one basic precept of polite behavior in friendly circles within the civilized world.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 10:10

None in my book.
    Not even the boundaries of good taste or non-invaisive behavior?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 10:11
    No claims have been made or filed. Rather, the mention of one basic precept of polite behavior in friendly circles within the civilized world.
    I have never received a forum ban, not even once, in seven years. Can the likes of you and robbie corrobie say the same?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 10:11
    I think most members who frequent the RHP forums will be dumb-struck to see you come into this forum with your record of repeated bannings due to your long history of atrocious behavior in the GF and lecture other people on posting etiquette.

Hypocrisy is a topic often discussed here...
    Point taken. "Faithful are the wounds of a friend." (OT, I think)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree