1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:40
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    It means that you South Africans are in deep doo doo if your darkies figure out there is no heaven and no consequences to killing whitey wholesale. Rawanda's going to look like a tea party after they finish BBQ y'all over a pile of burning tires.
    I dragged myself out of the 80s; so should you.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:42
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I dragged myself out of the 80s; so should you.
    Are you really from South Africa? I had no idea.
  3. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:43
    This isn't an argument. These are your feelings. At the risk of winning your debate for you an example of what I was looking for follows.

I suggest your read about Berkley and his attempt to develop a valid argument around the existence of God. It's been some time, but, basically Berkely argued that the material universe did not exist, that an o ...[text shortened]... clusion? If so, how does Berkely's argument support or undermine the Bible/Christianity?
    You have completely lost me! Your post reads similarly to a GB post to me. If you want to argue over this Berkley's theology then you should take it up with him or one of his fans, if he has any.

You asked why I beleive in God, what brought me to my beleif, that's what I've given you, the reasons why. There is no wining, only discussing. I like reading other peoples perspective on God and His existance becasue it gives me a chance to clarify what I think for myself. If this isn't what you're interested in then '@yo its me' is the wrong title for the thread.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:44
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Are you really from South Africa? I had no idea.
    Yes.

Did you have another idea? Just out of curiosity.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:44
    Originally posted by yo its me
    You have completely lost me! Your post reads similarly to a GB post to me.
    Zing!
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:46
    Yes.

Did you have another idea? Just out of curiosity.
    I was actually wondering that the other day. I thought maybe English, but had no real reason for doing so.

Where in South Africa?
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:47
    I was actually wondering that the other day. I thought maybe English, but had no real reason for doing so.

Where in South Africa?
    I live in Cape Town. I grew up all over the place though, with a significant chunk of time in Johannesburg.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:49
    I live in Cape Town. I grew up all over the place though, with a significant chunk of time in Johannesburg.
    Grew up all over the place? Were you drawn and quartered as a child? 🙄
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:511 edit
    Grew up all over the place? Were you drawn and quartered as a child? 🙄
    Ha. My family moved around a lot. I was with them on each occasion.

Ha ha ha. I am weeds.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:54
    Ha. My family moved around a lot. I was with them on each occasion.
    Are they gypsies?
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:55
    Are they gypsies?
    Close enough. My father was a personnel guy for chemical and mining companies. Somerset West, Sasolburg, Modderfontein, East London ... Google them.
  12. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 23:30
    You have completely lost me! Your post reads similarly to a GB post to me. If you want to argue over this Berkley's theology then you should take it up with him or one of his fans, if he has any.

You asked why I beleive in God, what brought me to my beleif, that's what I've given you, the reasons why. There is no wining, only discussing. I like readin ...[text shortened]... this isn't what you're interested in then '@yo its me' is the wrong title for the thread.
    Take a deep breath and reread what I wrote. The argument I put forth for your consideration supports your belief in God.

Look, if you can't take the time to read it, I'm not debating with you. I'm sorry you don't understand, but, I don't think I can dumb it down for you any further.
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 23:38
    Take a deep breath and reread what I wrote. The argument I put forth for your consideration supports your belief in God.

Look, if you can't take the time to read it, I'm not debating with you. I'm sorry you don't understand, but, I don't think I can dumb it down for you any further.
    LOL!! You asked a question and I answered it, it's you who hasn't read a post here, mine which you asked for I never asked for your post. I don't need any 'help' to put my points accross, it is clearly you who need help to understand what I have said.

Let's read, in your own words, why you beleive God dosen't exist.
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 01:46
    Since you asked so nicely 😉 I'll take the time to articulate why I'm so sure God is real;

#I look around me and I know for certian that there's no way this is all an axcident, it was all very percisesly created. Here is a scientists explination of how balanced and exact it all is- http://www.firstscience.com/home/articles/big-theories/recipe-for-the-u ...[text shortened]... ng I have survived and so have my siblings I beleive this is becasue my mum prayed for us.
    #I look around me and I know for certian that there's no way this is all an axcident, it was all very percisesly created. Here is a scientists explination of how balanced and exact it all is- http://www.firstscience.com/home/articles/big-theories/recipe-for-the-universe-just-six-numbers_1230.html

I will just address this point as the other points you raised are due to personal subjective experience which would be impossible to conclude an argument for the existance of god.

The point is Martin Rees' argument may seem so convenient, but doesn't actually prove an intelligent designer by default. Martin Rees isn't even a true believer in the Anglican church according to what he has told Richard Dawkins. I agree that Mr Dawkins is quite ruthless in his approach in The God Delusion, but here is an extract:

http://www.transworld-publishers.co.uk/catalog/extract.htm?command=search&db=twmain.txt&eqisbndata=0593055489

Of which near the end Martin Rees is just going along with the Anglican church out of loyalty to the tribe.

As for the six numbers, a more plausible explaination than just "god did it" is that there could be infinite multi-universes of infinite parameters. We are observing one set of them that fit to allow our universe to exist. There is no way we can observe any other. Other life forms in another multi-verse will see a different set of parameters which fit, which they can say, "That is so convenient, it is so perfect, so there must be an intelligent designer!". Yet in universes which the parameters don't fit, they couldn't exist, therefore no conditions for life to evolve to even observe it. It is basically natural selection on a cosmic scale.

Here is a lecture given by the cosmologist Lawrence Krauss. He tries to explain deep theoretical physics on layman's terms, but hopefully you can get the gist.

YouTube

Basically explaining that "Nothing" isn't really nothing. Sounds bizarre, but quantum physics is quite counter-intuiative as we aren't used to it in every day life, and the experiments and observations which lead onto working out how the universe started. It is over an hour long but it is worth taking it into consideration.

As for the evolution of life on Earth itself, I have also posted about it at the end of Thread 119650.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 07:14
    Zing!
    Yes, I know. Still letting the small (and medium size) potatoes go, Bosse, as usual.

😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree