1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 21:491 edit
    dear friends from the foregoing text it is clear that no one entered heaven into the presence of God prior to Jesus Christ, all good people therefore do not go to heaven. You may of course naturally draw your own conclusions from the text. clearly as that is the case, there are some pertinent questions that we can ask, for example, what awaits the millions of persons who died, prior to the resurrection and the ascension of the Christ, the 'first fruit', to be resurrected to heavenly life (interesting phrase that, first fruit, of course its hardly applicable if others went prior, is it?) secondly if there are persons who enter into the heavenly realm after the Christ, who are they and how do they know and what will they do there?

answers on a postcard please 🙂
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 21:511 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Actually a late breakfast...
    ive had Raj and Duecer for lunch, Raj was rather bitter for a side salad and deucer had too much fat on him 😉
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 23:341 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Enoch being simply closer to our paternal ancestors and thus perfection and as a consequence would have been less prone to the ravages of ageing as you or I. The only difference of course is that you my friend have closed your mind to the possibilities, whereas as we theists, have not limited our scope to merely 'mindless matter' , yah dig?
    Oh dear.

Do you think Medusa really had snakes for her hair?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Oh dear.

Do you think Medusa really had snakes for her hair?
    Medusa belongs to the realms of mythology not of ancient history. Indeed the biblical account is remarkably consistent when it states that those who lived closer to perfection lived longer for what we see is a general diminishing of lifespan, indeed, i find it highly unlikely that it was contrived to reflect such a position. As i stated, you are limited because of your insistence on the premise that life has arisen from 'mindless matter', an event which is harder to believe than any biblical account, no matter how fantastic.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 00:22
    Medusa belongs to the realms of mythology not of ancient history. Indeed the biblical account is remarkably consistent when it states that those who lived closer to perfection lived longer for what we see is a general diminishing of lifespan, indeed, i find it highly unlikely that it was contrived to reflect such a position. As i stated, you are lim ...[text shortened]... tter', an event which is harder to believe than any biblical account, no matter how fantastic.
    Sorry Rob, but the OT especially belongs to the realms of mythology not ancient history. It is but a fairytale story concocted along the lines of the greek mythologies. A bedtime story, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm limited? Gimme a break. I'm quite willing to entertain any idea, but if you want me to believe it, show me some evidence. You on the other hand are forever tied down to your fantastical Bronze Age fairytale.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 01:17
    Sorry Rob, but the OT especially belongs to the realms of mythology not ancient history. It is but a fairytale story concocted along the lines of the greek mythologies. A bedtime story, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm limited? Gimme a break. I'm quite willing to entertain any idea, but if you want me to believe it, show me some evidence. You on the other hand are forever tied down to your fantastical Bronze Age fairytale.
    i feel myself resentful of the assertion of fairy tales, especially when persons and events are linked to specific times and dates, unlike those of most ancient myths and legends. Furthermore many events recorded in the Bible are supported by inscriptions dating from those very times (ever been to the British museum?). What is it you need proof of dear Noobster? evidence of the Bibles reliability? well ,ok, which one would you like to discuss?

1. its internal harmony.

2. fulfilled prophecy.

3. evidence from archaeology.

4.its practicality for modern life.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 01:53
    I don't know, but i bet you're gonna tell me.

What happenned to the Ark story?
    I believe that the age at which people die was an actual age. Before the flood people live to be around 800 years old. Then immediatly after the flood they only lived to be around 120 years old. If you notice the story of why the flood occured, it was because of the wickedness of the people. I interpret this as God limiting mans time on earth to help curb their wicked tendencies. After all, what damage could Hitler do if he lived to be nearly a century old? To achieve this, I think that the atmosphere changed significantly after the flood causing man to be exposed more to the harsh environment around them.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 01:551 edit

Isn't it funny how ancient cultures like the Sumarians also had flood myths like Noah's ark? 😛
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 11:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    Isn't it funny how ancient cultures like the Sumarians also had flood myths like Noah's ark? 😛
    The Biblical flood story is a rehash of the Babylonian tale, which is a rehash of the Sumerian tale which preceded it.

The Biblical tale is nothing more than a 'remix' of an earlier folk tale.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 11:391 edit
    i feel myself resentful of the assertion of fairy tales, especially when persons and events are linked to specific times and dates, unlike those of most ancient myths and legends. Furthermore many events recorded in the Bible are supported by inscriptions dating from those very times (ever been to the British museum?). What is it you need proof of de ...[text shortened]...
    2. fulfilled prophecy.

3. evidence from archaeology.

4.its practicality for modern life.
    Sorry you feel resentful, i'm merely calling it as i see it.

Evidence from archaeology. Where's the evidence for the 6,000yr history of mankind as you so believe?

We'll start there, at the beginning.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 11:59
    The Biblical flood story is a rehash of the Babylonian tale, which is a rehash of the Sumerian tale which preceded it.

The Biblical tale is nothing more than a 'remix' of an earlier folk tale.
    Sure, the Bible is a bunch of nonsense. Just ask a Biblical acrcheologist. Its just a bunch of made up myths.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 12:03
    Sorry you feel resentful, i'm merely calling it as i see it.

Evidence from archaeology. Where's the evidence for the 6,000yr history of mankind as you so believe?

We'll start there, at the beginning.
    If you chart humanities course from the time of Adam, the Biblical account is on target. However, what you are discussing is the pre-Adam account of the six days of creation.

As for myself, I am of the opinion that this is not a literal 6 days. In addition, I think mankind became "human" only when God breathed a soul life into Adam. How God created Adam up till that point is but a mystery.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 12:21
    If you chart humanities course from the time of Adam, the Biblical account is on target. However, what you are discussing is the pre-Adam account of the six days of creation.

As for myself, I am of the opinion that this is not a literal 6 days. In addition, I think mankind became "human" only when God breathed a soul life into Adam. How God created Adam up till that point is but a mystery.
    Good comment.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 12:35
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Good comment.
    What about my comments on the smiling people in the JW tracts? Don't they give you the "willies"? 😲
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 12:57
    What about my comments on the smiling people in the JW tracts? Don't they give you the "willies"? 😲
    No they don't. We all need to smile like that more often.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree