1. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '17 14:52
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    You are just dodging here. Have you decided whether you are a Christian? As a Christian do you just blank out the Old Testament and pretend that it doesn't exist? If not how do you account for the events of the Old Testament ? Would you care to explain why you think you are in a position to hold God accountable for his actions ?
    yup thats pretty much it.
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    31 Jan '17 17:511 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    For everyone of course.
    And now you are going to say this is a "universal truth"
    And then you are going to defend your claim that it is ok for your version of god to kill children.

Err, well probably not the last bit as you seem quite reluctant to do so.
    Would you be so kind as to explain to me why you think that Jesus dying on the cross for everyone should not be called a universal truth?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Jan '17 19:06
    Would you be so kind as to explain to me why you think that Jesus dying on the cross for everyone should not be called a universal truth?
    Can you prove it? (Or does truth, universal or otherwise, not require verification to be believed?)

Is ' Jesus dying on the cross for everyone' a universal truth merely because you, fetchmybunk, has deemed it so?!
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '17 22:48
    You can call it what you want, it what you cannot do is make claims that other things you believe are also "univeral truths" just because you think you may have found one.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jan '17 23:48
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Can you prove it? (Or does truth, universal or otherwise, not require verification to be believed?)

Is ' Jesus dying on the cross for everyone' a universal truth merely because you, fetchmybunk, has deemed it so?!
    But every Christian must 'deem it so'.

It is a basic article of faith.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 09:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    But every Christian must 'deem it so'.

It is a basic article of faith.
    Sure, but your faith doesn't equal my truth, universal or otherwise.
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 09:08
    Sure, but your faith doesn't equal my truth, universal or otherwise.
    What does equal your truth?
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 09:28
    What does equal your truth?
    My truth is my truth, just as your truth is your truth.

The very reason you talking about universal truth is a nonsense, as you speak only for yourself and people who think like you. The best you can say is that, in your opinion, Jesus dying on the cross is a universal truth. But you don't do that, do you? Instead you seek to impose your unproven version of truth on others by claims of absoluteness and universality.
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 10:142 edits
    My truth is my truth, just as your truth is your truth.

The very reason you talking about universal truth is a nonsense, as you speak only for yourself and people who think like you. The best you can say is that, in your opinion, Jesus dying on the cross is a universal truth. But you don't do that, do you? Instead you seek to impose your unproven version of truth on others by claims of absoluteness and universality.
    What if your truth and my truth are contradictory? If I believe Jesus died on a cross and you believe he didn't, then our beliefs can't both be true, since he either died on the cross or he didn't. Historians would seem to support my belief in this case. Truth by nature is absolute and universal and is not dependant on belief.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 10:352 edits
    What if your truth and my truth are contradictory? If I believe Jesus died on a cross and you believe he didn't, then our beliefs can't both be true, since he either died on the cross or he didn't. Historians would seem to support my belief in this case. Truth by nature is absolute and universal and is not dependant on belief.
    Nobody disputes the fact that you very, very strongly believe that the things you think about supernatural phenomena and supernatural beings are absolutely and completely true. The thing that makes you sound like an adolescent is you asking over and over and over and over again and over and over and over and over again stuff like 'What if I'm right and you're wrong we can't both be right so what makes you think I'm wrong and how can you know that you're right because I am absolutely sure I'm right and you can't prove I'm wrong and I believe my ideas are universal and objective and absolutely true while you cannot say your ideas are universal and objective and absolutely true but I know my ideas are universal and objective and absolutely true because I'm objective you're subjective I'm objective you're subjective I'm objective you're subjective and anyway two contradictory things can't be true logically speaking I am right which makes you wrong and me right but you just won't admit it...' or words to that effect.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 10:41
    If I believe Jesus died on a cross and you believe he didn't, then our beliefs can't both be true, since he either died on the cross or he didn't. Historians would seem to support my belief in this case.
    I'm sure historians will confirm that the Romans executed many tens of thousands of people by crucifixion. That Jesus was executed in this way for sedition is of no particular surprise.
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 10:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nobody disputes the fact that you very, very strongly believe that the things you think about supernatural phenomena and supernatural beings are absolutely and completely true. The thing that makes you sound like an adolescent is you asking over and over and over and over again and over and over and over and over again stuff like 'What if I'm right and you' ...[text shortened]... which makes you wrong and me right but you just won't admit it...' or words to that effect.
    If in fact Jesus were crucified by the Romans, why in your opinion would that not be a universal truth?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 11:16
    If in fact Jesus were crucified by the Romans, why in your opinion would that not be a universal truth?
    You know exactly what I think of your use of the words "universal", "objective", and "absolute" and how you seek to attach them to your personal opinions and superstitions about the magical stories of angels, gods and demons and diviner communications that float your boat. So why are you asking me this yet again?

I've always assumed Jesus was executed. Maybe he wasn't. Maybe he is a mythological figure or a combination of figures. I happen to think there probably was a maverick rabbi called Jesus who got executed for sedition. It would explain the cult of personality that arose from his life and death.

Why would I want to seek to add any spin or gravitas to what is, after all, my opinion, by declaring it a "universal truth"? There is no point. Just as there is no point in you incessantly declaring that your personal opinions are "universal truths".
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 11:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    You know exactly what I think of your use of the words "universal", "objective", and "absolute" and how you seek to attach them to your personal opinions and superstitions about the magical stories of angels, gods and demons and diviner communications that float your boat. So why are you asking me this yet again?

I've always assumed Jesus was executed. Maybe ...[text shortened]... ere is no point in you incessantly declaring that your personal opinions are "universal truths".
    So in your opinion will there never be enough evidence for something to make it a universal truth? For example the law of gravity, do you not think the mountain of evidence is so great that we can call that a universal truth that no one can deny?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 11:39
    So in your opinion will there never be enough evidence for something to make it a universal truth?
    Like I said, you know exactly what I think of your use of the words "universal", "objective", and "absolute" and how you seek to attach them to your personal opinions about supernatural things. So why are you asking me this yet again?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree