1. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 06:07
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    "...can anyone explain these observations using a logical and common-sense methodology, without referring to science, links to science websites, journals etc., or scientific jargon?"
    Please define 'science'. It seems to me that 'a logical and common-sense methodology' would be science by definition.
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 06:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Please define 'science'. It seems to me that 'a logical and common-sense methodology' would be science by definition.
    I was quoting GB, but technically you are right. However, the way most people think about science today bears little resemblance to what might have been called science a thousand or so years ago. The kalam cosmological argument for example relied almost solely on reasoning and logic, and testing was limited to the use of logical and mathematical proofs. Science is actually an offshoot of philosophy, but at one time they were considered to be one and the same.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 07:21
    I was quoting GB, but technically you are right. However, the way most people think about science today bears little resemblance to what might have been called science a thousand or so years ago. The kalam cosmological argument for example relied almost solely on reasoning and logic, and testing was limited to the use of logical and mathematical pr ...[text shortened]... actually an offshoot of philosophy, but at one time they were considered to be one and the same.
    If I were to explain the motion of the earth relative to the motion of an aeroplane in 'a logical and common-sense methodology' would that not be science? The scientific method requires that such an explanation be verified via observation/experiment etc, but it seems to me that the initial explanation itself is also part of science, and the reason we know it is the correct explanation is also due to science and the scientific method.
    If I were to say 'the earth is a sphere', then that is a 'logical and common-sense' statement, but it is of no value to you unless you know it is true, and you won't know it is true, unless I use the scientific method to verify that it is true.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 07:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    1. Vibration of the vehicle over road imperfections;
    2. the sound and sense of the vehicle's engine's rpms;
    3. force of gravity on the seat back.

4: "Kinesthesia - n. The sense that detects bodily position, weight,
    or movement of the muscles, tendons, and joints."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kinesthesia
    More nonsense. 🙄
    Remember: you are tying to substantiate your assertion
    that one can "feel" themselves travelling at 70mph.

1. That's vibration you feel not 70 mph
    2. That's the sound of the engine you hear not 70 mph
    3. That's just nonsense! How can you feel gravity on the seat back????
    4. And this is relevant because ............ ?

That's enough for now, you have demonstrated your stupidity enough, if
    you want more answers go ask one of your grand-children.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 07:32
    The overarching question is interesting enough, and relevant, but I'd like to change one word in it for the sake of not having to watch tidy whities twisting into a knot... no one wants to see that.

"...can anyone explain these observations using a logical and common-sense methodology, without referring to science, links to science websites, journals etc., or scientific jargon?"
    The author was writing to an audience of atheist; your insertion of "anyone" makes sense here.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 07:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    More nonsense. 🙄
    Remember: you are tying to substantiate your assertion
    that one can "feel" themselves travelling at 70mph.

1. That's vibration you feel [b]not 70 mph

2. That's the sound of the engine you hear not 70 mph
    3. That's just nonsense! How can you feel gravity on the seat back????
    4. And this is relevant because ............ ...[text shortened]... demonstrated your stupidity enough, if
    you want more answers go ask one of your grand-children.[/b]
    Of course, but as a kid all I would have said was "That doesn't make sense".

I don't need to know anything about the earths rotation to understand that a plane would only be seen traveling at a speed relative to the surface of the earth. Most kids wouldn't say it in that way, but I think most kids would understand that. However, some kids (adults too) seem to be in a state of perpetual confusion because they assume everything they hear is supposed to make sense... unless it's something they don't want to hear. And then there are people who are never confused, because they don't bother to think about anything. They'll believe anything as long as it lines up with "the consensus" or comes from someone they respect.

By the way, if you are traveling in a car at 70 mph you will have visual and tactile clues that you are moving, but you won't "feel" yourself moving at 70 mph... because you are always traveling at the same speed as the car you're in. You can feel acceleration and deceleration, but you can't actually feel how fast the car is going.

"Of course, but as a kid all I would have said was "That doesn't make sense"."... equals logically incongruent?

"You can feel acceleration and deceleration, but you can't actually feel how fast the car is going."... thanks.

Thanks for your help also wolfgang59.
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 06:07
    If I were to explain the motion of the earth relative to the motion of an aeroplane in 'a logical and common-sense methodology' would that not be science? The scientific method requires that such an explanation be verified via observation/experiment etc, but it seems to me that the initial explanation itself is also part of science, and the reason we know ...[text shortened]... ue, and you won't know it is true, unless I use the scientific method to verify that it is true.
    I think the point here is that science is a specifically defined "logical and common-sense methodology". If you want to call any logical and common-sense methodology "science" you can of course do that, but eliminating the distinction between science and any other good methodology will create a few problems. For example, if philosophy can also be called science then why is it called philosophy? Why isn't it simply called science? If we eliminate the distinction then there is no need to call it anything else.

I'm assuming there are logical and common-sense methodologies that don't necessarily fall under the strict definition of science in the same way I assume all apples are fruit but not all fruit are apples.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 06:43
    I think the point here is that science is a specifically defined "logical and common-sense methodology". If you want to call any logical and common-sense methodology "science" you can of course do that, but eliminating the distinction between science and any other good methodology will create a few problems. For example, if philosophy can also be c ...[text shortened]... efinition of science in the same way I assume all apples are fruit but not all fruit are apples.
    OK, so lets hear your philosophical explanation for the relative motion of aeroplanes to the earth.
    It is my contention that science is the philosophical explanation combined with the practice of verifying that the explanation matches reality.
    I believe the OP, doesn't actually ask for the verification part ie it doesn't ask for the results of observations of the real world, confirming the theories involved. Nevertheless, you cannot explain motion without the concept of motion - which is a scientific concept.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 09:01
    OK, so lets hear your philosophical explanation for the relative motion of aeroplanes to the earth.
    It is my contention that science is the philosophical explanation combined with the practice of verifying that the explanation matches reality.
    I believe the OP, doesn't actually ask for the verification part ie it doesn't ask for the results of observati ...[text shortened]... heless, you cannot explain motion without the concept of motion - which is a scientific concept.
    I'm not sure what your point is or what it has to do with the OP. How would you define the science of logical or observational incongruities?

I hope you are not suggesting no one was able to explain motion before there were scientists, or that people did not know if they exist or not until philosophers came along to explain it to them. I believe we can use some logic and a common sense methodology in these discussions as well, without heavy reliance on science or philosophy.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 10:17
    I hope you are not suggesting no one was able to explain motion before there were scientists, or that people did not know if they exist or not until philosophers came along to explain it to them.
    No, not at all. I am saying that any such explanations, would nowadays be considered part of science. Science is the study and explanation of the world around us. Any explanation of the world around us is therefore part of science. To explain it without science is a violation of the definition.

I am using from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science:
    In an older and closely related meaning, "science" also refers to a body of knowledge itself, of the type that can be rationally explained and reliably applied.

But even if we stuck with the first definition on that page, where it talks of a more rigorous scientific method for enquiry, I think that any explanation you give for the motion of an aeroplane around the world, will in fact, be drawing on the knowledge you have obtained from said science.
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 21:344 edits
    No, not at all. I am saying that any such explanations, would nowadays be considered part of science. Science is the study and explanation of the world around us. Any explanation of the world around us is therefore part of science. To explain it without science is a violation of the definition.

I am using from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sc ...[text shortened]... around the world, will in fact, be drawing on the knowledge you have obtained from said science.
    Just to be clear I don't have a problem with science. I have a problem with scientists (or anyone for that matter) who make absurd assumptions about what other people believe. The flat earth idea for example was a minority idea at one time and not embraced by many people. But now it's held up as an example of what most people believed. So I cringe whenever I hear someone say science has proven the world is not flat when most people didn't believe it was flat in the first place. Science may have proven it's not flat, but it's a lie to say that most people at one time believed it was.

The reason most people did not believe it was flat is because anyone with a shred of common sense could look at the horizon and see the distance was limited in all directions... but then they could see what was beyond that horizon when walking towards it. This isn't evidence of a flat object, it's evidence of a more or less round object where the curvature determines the horizon. Pick up a stone and you will see a horizon... slowly rotate that stone and you will see the same thing happening, you will see the horizon changing.

And when most people viewed the moon I doubt they assumed they were looking at a flat disc, because most objects they view on earth are not flat discs... so IMO to assume anyone could look at an object and believe something about it that does not conform to their own experience is absurd.

IM0 the problem with the OP is not the idea it attempts to explore, the problem is with the examples. I don't see the examples as being logical incongruities, to me they simply appear to be trick questions. I don't expect to see the earth traveling at 1040 mph in the opposite direction if I was walking 3 mph opposite of the earths rotation... so there's no reason for me to think I'd see the earth moving that fast in the opposite direction if I was traveling in a plane train car or tricycle.
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 22:54
    [b]"A challenge for atheistic beliefs (theists are welcome too)"

l[/b]
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 23:42
    Originally posted by Kegge
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
    lol <--- man drowning................................... lol <--- man drowning in the Atlantic Ocean at High Tide
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Feb '14 23:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    "A challenge for atheistic beliefs (theists are welcome too)"

"Post Number:#1 November 6th, 2013, 1:53 pm... I have often wondered why atheists are so concerned with what theists believe? Appeals to absurdity are a common formulaic method used in order to dispel theistic notions and ideas. However, if we are to remove the evidence which pertains to scientific explanations, and rely upon our actual observations of the world, science begins to demonstrate some of its own logical incongruities. I will list some examples of observations that science has explanations for, yet can appear to the observer to be logically incongruent. Please remember that we are discussing observational logic; and not scientific evidence:

1. If one was to board a plane from a position opposite to Australia, how would that plane reach Australia, without nose-diving, twisting in mid-air and flying upside-down?

2. How can 8 planets all rotate around the sun together, and all remain in relatively the same position, without being actually physically attached together in any way?

3. How can the earth rotate at 1040 mph and we don't feel it? Yet if we are moving at even 70 mph we feel ourselves racing?

4. If a passenger plane flies at 500-600 mph why does it feel as though you're doing 30 in the slow lane? Even when you look at a plane in the sky, it appears to be doing 50 mph maximum.

5. If the earth rotates at 1040 mph, when you are in a plane moving at 500-600 mph, in the opposite direction of the earth's rotation, why don't you see the earth rotating at that 1040 mph in the other direction?

6. If you're travelling from England to Poland, and your flight departs at 18:00 hrs, the plane travels 500 mph, with the earth rotating at 1040 mph, at what time will you reach your destination? (please include the calculations for scrutiny) I mean, if the earth is rotating at over double the speed you're flying at, how would you reach Poland, without Poland continually over-taking you, and how would you land and stop unless you exceeded the speed of the earth, or the earth stopped-spinning?

All of these observations produce some incongruence for logic and common-sense. So my question here is, can any atheist explain these observations using a logical and common-sense methodology, without referring to science, links to science websites, journals etc., or scientific jargon?

My aim here is not to dismiss science, as I tend to believe much of what science posits as true / correct, but if you take away the pictures, videos, diagrams and text-books, scientific explanations can appear as fantastical to the mind and observation, as those of a religious nature. Furthermore, if we explore some of quantum mechanics theories, it is akin to going deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole, and not expecting to meet the mad hatter (nonsensical conclusions). Thus, I just wanted to put a few ideas out there and also present a challenge for the hyper-intelligent atheists on the forum (theists are welcome to answer too!).

P.S. No flames please, we are all learning here."

"The path to a great life is found by utilising the power of light, love, truth and goodness E.Bedeau. For Queen & Country, dark knight of the realm." http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10285
  15. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 22:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    [b]"A challenge for atheistic beliefs (theists are welcome too)"

"Post Number:#1 November 6th, 2013, 1:53 pm... I have often wondered why atheists are so concerned with what theists believe? Appeals to absurdity are a common formulaic method used in order to dispel theistic notions and ...[text shortened]... k knight of the realm." http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10285
    [/b]
    I think it has been established that non of these questions are difficult to explain.So why keep re-posting them?

1. Why would you think it would?
    2. They don't remain in relatively (or even remotely) the same position
    3. Because we are moving with it.
    4. Because we are moving with it.
    5. Because we are only moving at that speed relative to the surface of the earth.
    6. Because we are only moving at that speed relative to the surface of the earth.

Nothing to see here, move along please.

Penguin

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree