a good question

a good question

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
24 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
It is, of course, an attribute of humanity to try to find order out of the seemingly chaotic mass of information we receive. Our entire sensory apparatus is designed to do so. That being said, the fact that we are "hotwired" to try to make sense out of the natural order doesn't imply to me that in reality it makes no sense; in fact , I suspect the opposi ...[text shortened]... imate truth" out there though it need not involve anthropomorphic creations of semisavages.
what makes you think there is some kind of order?

l

Moves
24 Oct 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
maybe the person who thought an explosion created something instead of destroying something is on crack. so i guess youre suggestion something blew up and all of a sudden so conveniently it created the earth, animals etc. so if i blow something up i will get a mini earth from the explosions.
i am saying that after that, the basic units of life, such as hydrogen, and the rest of the natural elements on the periiodic table were formed, which eventually combined through some process which we are unaware of now. when they started to combine life began. then, over billions of years we have evolved into what we see on this planet now. this also would support theories of life in other places in the galaxy o the universe, assuming the same happened there too. thee scientists dont know what happened until .000032 or some miniscule number AFTER the big bang, where god comes in. My theory iis he started the big bang, but it all rolled from there

E

Moves
24 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by laxman38
i am saying that after that, the basic units of life, such as hydrogen, and the rest of the natural elements on the periiodic table were formed, which eventually combined through some process which we are unaware of now. when they started to combine life began. then, over billions of years we have evolved into what we see on this planet now. this also would ...[text shortened]... ig bang, where god comes in. My theory iis he started the big bang, but it all rolled from there
i dont believe in evolution, i dont believe that we evolved from apes. what about the other apes? shouldnt they be humans too? how long ago were dinosaurs around?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Oct 06

what makes you think there is some kind of order?
I suggest you read my post again as the answer to your question is contained within it.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
24 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
You sound nuts. What "universal constant"? The "anthropic principle" is a dodge, not anything scientific. And I didn't realize that a discussion centering on what the universe ultimately is isn't a "REAL" question! Your smugness is truly breathtaking.
And if the weak force where any other value, free protons would be floating around smugly gloating about how the universe was obviously created with them in mind!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
24 Oct 06

i dont believe in evolution, i dont believe that we evolved from apes. what about the other apes? shouldnt they be humans too? how long ago were dinosaurs around?
1) Evolution is exceptionally well documented. Perhaps you don't believe in MRSA either? Or gravity?

2) Look up the word "divergence". We had a common ancestor. They evolved to fill one niche, we evolved to fill another niche. Evolution is like a bush, not a ladder.

3) Dinosaurs were around from around 200 to 65 million years ago. Mammals evolved around 100 mya.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
24 Oct 06

Why should the other apes be humans?
Evolution works on producing adaptations that suit environmental conditions. We're adapted to particular conditions. Other species of apes are adapted to other conditions.
Remember too, that the adaptations that occur aren't preordained - evolution works with whatever it's got - and they're random.
So, even if we and another ape species lived in a similar environment - as is probably the case for humans, chimps and gorillas - the nature of random mutations leading to longer term change is not going to rpoduce exactly the same thing in three different cases.

E

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
1) Evolution is exceptionally well documented. Perhaps you don't believe in MRSA either? Or gravity?

2) Look up the word "divergence". We had a common ancestor. They evolved to fill one niche, we evolved to fill another niche. Evolution is like a bush, not a ladder.

3) Dinosaurs were around from around 200 to 65 million years ago. Mammals evolved around 100 mya.
how old is the earth in a Christian's point of view?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
25 Oct 06

how old is the earth in a Christian's point of view?
Depends on the Christian. If they believe in biblical creationism, probably no more than 10,000 years old. This would mean that either the laws of physics would have to undergo massive contortions to allow this, for which there is no evidence, or God created everything to look like it was much older. Neither is intellectually satisfying though.

E

Moves
25 Oct 06

Depends on the Christian. If they believe in biblical creationism, probably no more than 10,000 years old. This would mean that either the laws of physics would have to undergo massive contortions to allow this, for which there is no evidence, or God created everything to look like it was much older. Neither is intellectually satisfying though.
is there any alternative belief? what is biblical creationism?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
25 Oct 06

is there any alternative belief? what is biblical creationism?
You might be a more common sense rational kind of Christian, in which case you would accept the consensus scientific models - giving an Earth somewhere around 4.5 billion years old.

Creationism is the belief in the literal truth of the biblical genesis account - that is, that instead of being an allegory or parable (a story that isn't itself true, but contains some truths about humans and humanity) the biblical account is actually a history of actual events that occurred.

It's hard to justify this in the face of many major contradictions in the biblical stories, but people are pretty hard to move when it comes to changing their minds ...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Oct 06
1 edit

And if the weak force where any other value, free protons would be floating around smugly gloating about how the universe was obviously created with them in mind!
It's hard to believe that you pretend to have any degree of rationality. Your posts are as dogmatic as dj2becker's.

E

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by amannion
You might be a more common sense rational kind of Christian, in which case you would accept the consensus scientific models - giving an Earth somewhere around 4.5 billion years old.

Creationism is the belief in the literal truth of the biblical genesis account - that is, that instead of being an allegory or parable (a story that isn't itself true, but co ...[text shortened]... biblical stories, but people are pretty hard to move when it comes to changing their minds ...
if you are a Christian who doesnt believe that the bible is literal, what do they believe it is? symbolic?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
25 Oct 06

if you are a Christian who doesnt believe that the bible is literal, what do they believe it is? symbolic?
Yes.
It provides truths about the way people are and the way they should lead their lives and respond and interact to others.
But it is not history.

E

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by amannion
Yes.
It provides truths about the way people are and the way they should lead their lives and respond and interact to others.
But it is not history.
so those type of Christians, would look at it as if it were similiar to confucianism or something? that God doesnt exist, and that the bible is just a way you should live? can you give any examples of symbolism in the bible?