1. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 02:442 edits
    If the whole world was taken over by the most tyranical governmental organization ever to exist, and 85 percent of the population was deliberately murdered by it, how many religious folks that were still left do you think would suffer from the stockholm syndrome?
  2. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 02:57
    No offense intended but what in the world does that have to do with spirituality?
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:02
    Originally posted by sumydid
    No offense intended but what in the world does that have to do with spirituality?
    There was a thread that was comparing the chess rating to IQ and then was trying to tie that in with christians. I didn't think there is a comparison there as there are highly intelligent people in all religions. That started making me think about what folks may have in common and an extreme example such as this may bring it out.
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:091 edit
    Ok well the Stockholm Syndrome and evil government takeover still doesn't relate as best as I can tell. But your subject on IQ, Chess rating, and Christianity, that's interesting. I missed this other thread you were talking about. I have found myself wondering about the same thing.

I am Christian and used to belong to a Church with a congregation of about 800 people. I find it a little peculiar... all about a handful of people I knew at that Church were adept enough to sustain an intellectually stimulating conversation. Then again, it was farm country and most of the folks were kind of backward. Speaking objectively, I do think the IQ of the average person at that church was well below the average IQ of most people you see on this site. But, I think that's probably true of everyone, not just Christians. I think it's a pretty safe assumption that people who enjoy playing and do well at chess, have higher than average IQ's.
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:12
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Ok well the Stockholm Syndrome and evil government takeover still doesn't relate as best as I can tell. But your subject on IQ, Chess rating, and Christianity, that's interesting. I missed this other thread you were talking about. I have found myself wondering about the same thing.

I find it a little peculiar. I am Christian and used to belong to a Ch ...[text shortened]... sumption that people who enjoy playing and do well at chess, have higher than average IQ's.
    Consider the new government the captors and the public the captees.
  6. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:12
    I had to edit my post so my quote no longer matches, sorry. I'm bad about that.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:23
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    If the whole world was taken over by the most tyranical governmental organization ever to exist, and 85 percent of the population was deliberately murdered by it, how many religious folks that were still left do you think would suffer from the stockholm syndrome?
    in your hypothetical scenario , why did the government 'deliberatly murder' the 85% ?
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:25
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    in your hypothetical scenario , why did the government 'deliberatly murder' the 85% ?
    So it will be easier to manage the populace.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 11:112 edits
    So it will be easier to manage the populace.
    Well considering you are talking about the whole world, with no possible escape for the remaining people, I reckon the stockholm syndrome would prevail.
    Sounds like the government wouldn't take any dissention so it would be hard to see any other scenario.
    It might not happen str8 away , but surely it would just be a matter of time.
    one more question: why religous folk?are you assuming they are more easily manipulated?
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 11:271 edit
    Well considering you are talking about the whole world, with no possible escape for the remaining people, I reckon the stockholm syndrome would prevail.
    Sounds like the government wouldn't take any dissention so it would be hard to see any other scenario.
    It might not happen str8 away , but surely it would just be a matter of time.
    one more question: why religous folk?are you assuming they are more easily manipulated?
    No I don't think the true blue religious person would be manipulated to bow to a human god. I think the same thing that everyone left would end up with that syndrome. I don't think faith is an indication of lower IQ either. There might be people that go to church on a regular basis that in the end would give in, but the ones with true faith in their god would probably not be allowed to be the remaining 15 percent. This is a variation of a question that if a person really believed God was watching you 24-7 , would he ever be tempted to cheat on his spouse? I don't think those with true faith would even have a temptation. Those going through the motions of religion would be tempted and can always repent later.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 16:28
    No I don't think the true blue religious person would be manipulated to bow to a human god. I think the same thing that everyone left would end up with that syndrome. I don't think faith is an indication of lower IQ either. There might be people that go to church on a regular basis that in the end would give in, but the ones with true faith in their god w ...[text shortened]... on. Those going through the motions of religion would be tempted and can always repent later.
    "Those going through the motions of religon would be tempted and can always repent later."
    I'm always wary of people that dabble in religon/faith. Faith by definition implies 100% faith. (Not blind faith. You can strike a balance between faith and reason. )
    Its certainly dangerous to pick and choose when you want to employ religon and when you want to ignore it. It makes for some twisted people. (I'm sure they would think that I'm twisted because such people still think a person is 'measured' by how they dress,etc. ) I'm just waiting for such people to break-down . Then they may be open to real change.
  12. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 16:39
    what a strange thing to ask, are you on drugs or somethin'?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 16:41
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Are you a narc or something?🙂
  14. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 17:19
    "Those going through the motions of religon would be tempted and can always repent later."
    I'm always wary of people that dabble in religon/faith. Faith by definition implies 100% faith. (Not blind faith. You can strike a balance between faith and reason. )
    Its certainly dangerous to pick and choose when you want to employ religon and when you want to ...[text shortened]... ) I'm just waiting for such people to break-down . Then they may be open to real change.
    A friend of mine calls it an opportunity for a change of heart.
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 17:20
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    You sure have been on a drug kick evey since FMF asked if you are stoned again. Supp with that homey?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree